Boeheim, SU Agree On Contract Extension (through 2021-22?) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim, SU Agree On Contract Extension (through 2021-22?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Juli be like
th

Hopefully I have a coronary before the season if that happens. I don't people realize how little GMac brings to the table. I'll stop talking about it. I'm annoying myself.

They said the same thing about Boeheim 41 years ago. Worked out okay, don't ya think?

Go SU!

This is such great news. The older I get, the more I mark time via the passage of my sports heroes. Grew up with Montana, Bird, MJ, Gretzky. Saw Shaq, Mailman and Phil when he was a great coach. They are all gone. Jimmy has been the one constant for me as sports fan. I'll still feel a little bit young so long as he is on our sidelines. Let's do this. Why not. LGO.
For me the one constant has been baseball.

It doesn't mean JB is staying for a long time. It was the only move to give the program stability. He can still retire in 2 years and time the announcement to avoid the program suffering under a lame duck year that would kill recruiting. It's the best move the AD had.

This whole coach in waiting never made much sense to me. Assistants leave all the time, I remember people were LOLing the CIW label back in '07 i believe when it first happened . I keep thinking back to the Kevin O'Neill drama at Arizona back 10 years ago. Glad it played out better than that. I'm also happy for Hop he had to do it .
You do know what happened there, don't you?

They said the same thing about Boeheim 41 years ago. Worked out okay, don't ya think?

Go SU!

I guess it must happen again. Makes sense.

It certainly worked out. I love JB, and am his biggest supporter. As I've stuck up for him yearly, as people call for his head. He can coach as long as he wants in my eyes. GMac isn't JB. JB loves him like a son is his biggest fault. We need an actual AC/recruiter. GMac is those in name only.

Alright, now I'm done.

For me the one constant has been baseball.

Ha. I thought of that speech as I wrote that post. Hopkins is our own Moonlight Graham. His 4-5 stint as HCSU was his one appearance in the big leagues.

Last edited:
I guess it must happen again. Makes sense.

It certainly worked out. I love JB, and am his biggest supporter. As I've stuck up for him yearly, as people call for his head. He can coach as long as he wants in my eyes. GMac isn't JB. JB loves him like a son is his biggest fault. We need an actual AC/recruiter. GMac is those in name only.

Alright, now I'm done.

I agree with the first half of your post. Time will tell what happens with Gerry.

Probably best for the program for the next couple of years. Maybe now groom Autry for the position. Get through the sanctions, get back on our feet. At 73 I doubt we are looking at much more that an extra year or two. It is what it is for now. I am fine with it. I would have been fine with a switch also, but I think this way IS the best way given all of the factors. AND absolutely NO WAY did JB plan it out this way. I don't think he would ever do that to Hop...
I agree about JB not planning this and would never do this to Hop. All these theories and motives about JB that he would do anything to stay on seem to belie the fact that he is a loyal guy to those who have been loyal to him and is a Syracuse guy through and through who would never do anything intentional to harm the program. It simply could be that Mike was indeed going to take over next year and got an offer he could not refuse. And for the stability of the program JB agreed to stay on and I'm sure enthusiastically so as indicated. This allows Mike to make his own way, JB to go out on his own terms and get the program back on the right track before passing the reigns to a new coach. Seems to be a win-win for all involved. As always the proof will be in the results the next several years. As an SU fan I'll be rooting for both JB and Hop to succeed.

The best news in all of this...our athletic director does not take his time. He makes a quick decision to stem the tide...recruits are taken care of, the remainder of the staff is taken care of, and no more media speculation. Immediate attention.

This data point doesn't mean anything in terms of how long JB actually will be here. The most important thing is that they can't SAY that next year is JB's last year, even if that is the plan, because it would make recruiting for 2018 and thereafter impossible. JB could be here one more year, or three, or five. Nobody knows, which is exactly the point.
If i were a recruit, i'd ask that question. If i were a valuable recruit, i'd need and demand a firm answer. I have a bad feeling no one could give that kind of answer, even with this new deal. I think this just means 'more limbo.' Previously, a kid knew it was either JB or Hopkins, and he would already have been comfortable with Hop. Now what? They name another 'in waiting' position? Which, given this precedent, would be meaningless.

No specified term on this sounds like more of the 'year to year' thing JB has had. Which means he could hang'em up next year, but giving the admin time to find/come to terms with someone else. Maybe they've identified him but don't want to pay the buyout, and JB is keeping this ambiguous as a slightly firmer 'bridge?'

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Hall of Fame coach Jim Boeheim and his alma mater, Syracuse University, have agreed on a new contract that will lengthen his successful head-coaching tenure beyond the 2017-18 season.

The extension of the veteran coach's contract came about as head-coach-in-waiting Mike Hopkins was hired to lead the program at Washington. Syracuse moved promptly to maintain stability in its program by negotiating the new deal with Boeheim, who had planned to step down following the conclusion of the next season.

"Mike accepting the position at Washington has put us in a unique position," said John Wildhack, Syracuse Director of Athletics. "The circumstances are different now than they were when he was named head-coach-in-waiting.

"After discussing it with Chancellor Syverud, we believe the best decision for the student-athletes currently in the program and those who are committed to attending the University is to extend Coach Boeheim's contract. Jim has enthusiastically agreed.

"Mike received a great opportunity and we thank him and wish him the best," said Boeheim. "I'm happy to stay on to help the program and to continue the staff's devotion to success."

"The Syracuse basketball program was built on the concept of family and that remains intact with Coach Boeheim agreeing to this contract extension," said John Wildhack. "Having experienced assistant coaches like Adrian Autry and Gerry McNamara on the staff helps us maintain the elite standing the program has earned."

Autry and McNamara, both standout performers at Syracuse, have been assistant coaches under Boeheim since the 2011-12 campaign.

"I have no doubt this remarkable run of college basketball success at Syracuse under Coach Boeheim is positioned to continue," said Wildhack.

In addition, the University has announced the promotion of Autry to the position of associate head coach.

NCAA will start another witch hunt. VIP in B1G don't want Syracuse become a powerhouse.

SU needs to be prepared.

This will all play out on the court when JB's led SU team take on Hop's led UW team in the Final Four in 2022.

JB will prevail and retire after he cuts down the nets.

Go SU!
Not even close to the same thing. I was at Syracuse then. Jb was the master tactician. He ran the practices. He was the lead recruiter. He got guys to come to Syracuse. So far, G-mac has been shut out as a recruiter. G-mac hasn't lit it up in any area of being an ass't. JB was a success at every area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom