Boeheim's Army vs Blue Collar U Gameday... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim's Army vs Blue Collar U Gameday...

See, I get that everybody is entitled to their own opinion / free to watch whatever they choose. And I get that in the big scheme of things, TBT doesn't really matter much. I readily acknowledge that if BA loses, I probably won't watch much [if any] of the rest.

But these past two games have been REALLY exciting. First, we got to play Nerd Team in a revenge game, and whipped them.

Then, we take on the defending champs / #1 seed from Buffalo, in a regional rivalry type of game with bad blood between the two programs -- and after being down 14 early, we win by 20.

We're now in the Elite 8, with a solid chance for our team to win the million dollar prize.

I've seen a lot of posters suggest that they don't want to watch, because it isn't all SU players. But I think you're missing out. It has been flat out fun to watch Rakim Christmas and Chris McCullough go out an play well, Jimmy Boeheim doing his thing, etc. And I've also enjoyed watching Riller, Robinson, and Kane even though they don't have ties to SU [although you can certainly make the case that Kane is now 'Cuse-adjacent, given his muti-year stint on Boeheim's Army].

And the excitement level should only go up from here, now that there's more on the line with each passing game. Don't miss out -- high quality basketball, with an Orange twist!
6C3F43E6-08A9-4072-A0BF-9EAFFEE1B03C.jpeg

Amen bro, every year I find myself surprised by how much I get into this and enjoy it all. Especially this year.

Since there is too much negatively I'll take the time to say it. I love TBT as a quick summer basketball fix. I love watching Boeheim's Army. They are the home town team for this event. I'd watch and cheer just as much if there were zero SU players on the team. Theses guys represent Syracuse now, and they are doing it very well. On the court especially, but in interviews too. These guys LOVE our fans and love playing in Syracuse.

Sorry to the people still pining for this to be an SU old timers game, but you should have figured out by now that its logistically impossible long term. Depending on the number of healthy non NBA guys Syracuse has out there it can be a mostly SU team some years, but it can't just be an old timers game every year forever. It's too hard to get great basketball players to commit consistently to something where they are not likely to be paid at the end.

There are some really good players in this event. The best one (maybe even the best 2) play for us. The only way we don't win the whole thing is injuries (which is a very real concern). A few years ago there was nothing in the summer, now we have some basketball, I say enjoy it. It can literally end at any time. Its not much of a commitment. We get to say go SU in November. Until then all we've got is Go Boeheim's Army.
Just wait until next year's TBT when Boeheim is the coach and Melo suits up.

The version of the zone they played I'd be totally fine seeing for stretches as a change-up this year. That press backing into a matchup that took away that top of the key step in 3 is still something with proper personnel you can use. It takes away the PGs vision as well and makes them commit to going traditional ball screen or still try and make the pass to the FT line. They were lost attacking it and having to do so quickly.

We have the roster that could employ it as a change up.

Battle? Seems to fit that requirement mostly. Maybe he’s not ultra quick, but he’s pretty quick.
He’s a 6’6” shooting guard who has even played small forward at times. Love him but he’s not a pg, neither is Malachi, nor Elijah. Point guard play in the TBT seems to be key - Sykes and Riller have shown the importance of experienced pg play both offensively and defensively which Blackwell, Belby realized, getting them to commit to the team. Many of SU’s prior team issues has been the lack of true point guard play which has led to the necessity of recruiting excellent pg’s for tbt outside SU alumni. Tyus would help us but not as a true pg.

The version of the zone they played I'd be totally fine seeing for stretches as a change-up this year. That press backing into a matchup that took away that top of the key step in 3 is still something with proper personnel you can use. It takes away the PGs vision as well and makes them commit to going traditional ball screen or still try and make the pass to the FT line. They were lost attacking it and having to do so quickly.

We have the roster that could employ it as a change up.
I wouldn't totally dismiss JB's zone either it got us to the second weekend only 2 years ago and most of our impact transfers were originally recruited with that D in mind (though it may be why they didn't pick us the first go round.) I'd attribute the success we had 2010-2014 when we were as good as anybody to the zone. Then the next few years unfortunately it was all we had.

We aren't going to commit to it 100% out of the gate and use it to try and beat teams that are ranked higher and much more experienced than us two weeks into the season in Maui... but it would be crazy to not have in the bag as an option. Good size at guard and on the wing and our biggest center ever who is pretty athletic this squad has all the makings of your typical JB zone team.

Since there is too much negatively I'll take the time to say it. I love TBT as a quick summer basketball fix. I love watching Boeheim's Army. They are the home town team for this event. I'd watch and cheer just as much if there were zero SU players on the team. Theses guys represent Syracuse now, and they are doing it very well. On the court especially, but in interviews too. These guys LOVE our fans and love playing in Syracuse.

Sorry to the people still pining for this to be an SU old timers game, but you should have figured out by now that its logistically impossible long term. Depending on the number of healthy non NBA guys Syracuse has out there it can be a mostly SU team some years, but it can't just be an old timers game every year forever. It's too hard to get great basketball players to commit consistently to something where they are not likely to be paid at the end.

There are some really good players in this event. The best one (maybe even the best 2) play for us. The only way we don't win the whole thing is injuries (which is a very real concern). A few years ago there was nothing in the summer, now we have some basketball, I say enjoy it. It can literally end at any time. Its not much of a commitment. We get to say go SU in November. Until then all we've got is Go Boeheim's Army.

Couldn't agree more -- was just as worked up when the opponent was hitting shots early and jumped out to a double digit lead on us as I would be during an actual SU game.

Surprised by how much it means to me.

But then I remember how exciting it was to see our team take home the championship two years ago, and how disappointed I was last year when they got knocked out of the 2nd round.

Surprised by how much I'm into it, but it is a fun summer hoops fix. The quality of play is pretty good, once some of the cannon fodder get weeded out. And our team is pretty freaking good -- we could win this whole thing.

Couldn't agree more -- was just as worked up when the opponent was hitting shots early and jumped out to a double digit lead on us as I would be during an actual SU game.

Surprised by how much it means to me.

But then I remember how exciting it was to see our team take home the championship two years ago, and how disappointed I was last year when they got knocked out of the 2nd round.

Surprised by how much I'm into it, but it is a fun summer hoops fix. The quality of play is pretty good, once some of the cannon fodder get weeded out. And our team is pretty freaking good -- we could win this whole thing.

Loved Donna's article and Riller talking about how he felt like he was playing for SU .

Two observations:

How nice is it to see Rak back doing what Rak does?

And how was Grant Riller hiding so long at College of Charleston?
He put up numbers who ever talked about him?
I wonder if he ends up elsewhere had he come up during the portal era?

One of things to add on- it's telling how many of the alumni teams are not your true blue bloods. Even though they haven't all made it big in the NBA, some of our best former cuse guys are either in the NBA or playing for bigger clubs overseas where their clubs aren't big fans of the risk playing in TBT. That speaks to our program but is also a telltale for the teams you don't see in TBT and why you see teams like Blue Collar, Marquette (previous years), Dayton, Marshall, WVU, Ohio St etc being your perennial power alum teams. We are a step above those and as a result have had to fill a roster out differently than just alums.

With the resurgence in recruiting with Red that will continue to mean our best guys are NBA bound or in those leagues less open to this tourney.

Louisville has a team this year - playing now against the #1 seed Gutter Cats and winning. It’s their first year in TBT. Lots of familiar names on the Louisville team - Peyton Silva, Russ Smith, Arinze brother Chinonso, Blackshere, Kyle Kuric, etc - they look like they will win their region.

Louisville has a team this year - playing now against the #1 seed Gutter Cats and winning. Lots of familiar names on the Louisville team - Peyton Silva, Russ Smith, Arinze brother Chinonso, Blackshere, Kyle Kuric, etc - they look like they will win their region.
They look tough for sure. I wonder why Pitino isn't at the game supporting his guys these dudes won him a title?

They look tough for sure. I wonder why Pitino isn't at the game supporting his guys these dudes won him a title?
Onuaku is a load for sure and they have some good shooters.

Has anyone told the story yet of how Grant Riller came to be recruited for BA?

So long as our boys come to play and don't let up - neither one of these teams we would play in WV are even at Blue Collars level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom