Boeheim's candor | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim's candor

Me!! Are you buying?...I have been trying to find a good italian restaurant here in Panama City.

In Panama City, you may be missing the one critical ingredient that is absolutely necessary in order to have a good Italian restaurant.

That ingredient is enough Italians as customers to force the restaurant to be authentic. Without Italians ... there is no hope.

In Texas, and I suspect in many other places, the only difference between what they called "Italian Bread" and regular old white bread was the shape of the loaf and the fact they didn't pre-slice it. No crisp crust. No airy bread inside the crisp crust.

In Panama City, you may be missing the one critical ingredient that is absolutely necessary in order to have a good Italian restaurant.

That ingredient is enough Italians as customers to force the restaurant to be authentic. Without Italians ... there is no hope.

In Texas, and I suspect in many other places, the only difference between what they called "Italian Bread" and regular old white bread was the shape of the loaf and the fact they didn't pre-slice it. No crisp crust. No airy bread inside the crisp crust.

Agreed...A lot of seafood, Mexican, Southern and BBQ restaurants...tough to find European (Italian, French, German, etc.) in this area/region.

We face a similar problem up here. All of our Mexican restaurants are shyte. That's why when I travel to places with an actual hispanic population the first place I want to go is a mexican joint.

Let me give you another --- more likely scenario --- you are in Dallas after midnight prowling the alleys for a house to break into to support your drug habit. More than half the homeowners own guns. How are you feeling?

Versus, you are in Darien, CT where no one owns a gun and is horrified guns are even legal in the US.
How about answering my question? I have no problem with people having a gun in their home for protection. Or a hunter with a rifle for sport hunting. I do have a problem with guns that fire clips of 10 plus rounds. I do have a problem with people having them on them out in public.

We face a similar problem up here. All of our Mexican restaurants are shyte. That's why when I travel to places with an actual hispanic population the first place I want to go is a mexican joint.

Have some good Mexican restaurants here...at least so I am told...Not a big fan of Mexican fare...There were/are plenty in Las Vegas, of course.

For what is available around here, my favorite would be seafood and some Southern/BBQ. Although kind of tired of BBQ, seems the last few years that has been the food fad/trend.

Are you buying my airfare too??

Can't you just fly Space A? Not many transports go through here these days though. Saw a C-130 cruising around a little while ago, but I'm pretty sure there are just up from Schenectady on a training mission.

Have some good Mexican restaurants here...at least so I am told...Not a big fan of Mexican fare...There were/are plenty in Las Vegas, of course.

For what is available around here, my favorite would be seafood and some Southern/BBQ. Although kind of tired of BBQ, seems the last few years that has been the food fad/trend.

Love the seafood down your way or anywhere in Florida. One of the best meals I ever had was the day I took my then 7 year old out on a private charter boat for a half day outside Marathon Key. The captain fileted our catch and we took the bags to a local joint and had them cook our fish three ways. It was AWESOME!

By getting Boston back, JB can take the whole team to Legal Seafoods again and be treated by its owner, an SU alumnus who was a friend of mine long ago. I was in Boston about a decade ago and arranged a meal there with my old friend; when the waiter came, he told him to put away the menu and get me some of x, y, and z made some special way. Apparently, he used to do something similar for the whole bball team when they were in town to play BC.

Yes, my friend Roger Berkowitz is the CEO of Legal. He has always picked up the tab for both the football and basketball teams over the years when we played BC.

Can't you just fly Space A? Not many transports go through here these days though. Saw a C-130 cruising around a little while ago, but I'm pretty sure there are just up from Schenectady on a training mission.

The closest AFB is Tyndall...all they have is F-15s and F-22s and they don't fly Space A. The Navy base I work on doesn't have Space A either, plus don't think could ride on a ship to VT.

Love the seafood down your way or anywhere in Florida. One of the best meals I ever had was the day I took my then 7 year old out on a private charter boat for a half day outside Marathon Key. The captain fileted our catch and we took the bags to a local joint and had them cook our fish three ways. It was AWESOME!

My wife's cousins are own charter boats. Every time we go out their boats, they take us to the good spots and always bring back tons fish, usually red snapper and the occasional grouper. Apparently they are very wealthy now thanks to BP and the oil spill. Apparently BP payed out quite a bit money to businesses hit by the oil spill, especially those directly affected like fisherman and the link. Also, apparently the Federal and/or state government has since passed strict fishing limits which have hurt the charter industry here. We used to be able to bring back as many snapper as we wanted. I htink one time we brought back like 60-70. However, since my wife and I left and come back, the governments have passed laws severly restricting limits. Don't know the specifics.

I was so excited when I saw that the thread on decent restaurants was 6 pages long.

Then I saw it was all about politics and waffles and cried.

I was so excited when I saw that the thread on decent restaurants was 6 pages long.

Then I saw it was all about politics and waffles and cried.

Some of us are trying to take it back over...but one or two keep taking it back. Has been quite a battle this morning for the integrity of this thread. But, as long as I am at work, I will npot give up!! Except of course during my lunch break.

How about answering my question? I have no problem with people having a gun in their home for protection. Or a hunter with a rifle for sport hunting. I do have a problem with guns that fire clips of 10 plus rounds. I do have a problem with people having them on them out in public.

Well, let me answer it this way. It's legal in Virginia to carry a firearm in a holster that isn't concealed. So It's theoretically possible that a situation like the one you described could happen in the Commonwealth.

I haven't read about any gunfights in bars in Virginia.

As long as you agree that the restrictions you want are mostly eyewash and have no real meaning, then we are in agreement.

Having ridden in a fair number of C130's, C123's, C124's, C121'sand C47's can't say I'd recommend AF cargo plane trips except as a last resort.

Of course, regular commercial air travel has degraded so much over the years, I might have to rethink C124's (Old Shaky) as an alternative.

Yes, my friend Roger Berkowitz is the CEO of Legal. He has always picked up the tab for both the football and basketball teams over the years when we played BC.
How did you know Roger? He was a fraternity brother of mine.

I hope everyone commenting on JBs comments regarding Clemson food saw the presser after the game. If you did you saw the whole comment with him smiling and chuckling about liking to make friends before he gets there. Taken totally out of context, the statement about Denny's is really bad.

Just go to Orange All Access and watch. It's free.

How did you know Roger? He was a fraternity brother of mine.

Through the industry and at SU events throughout the years. Usually see him and his family at the Legal in Boca on Christmas Eve.

This is NCAA legal? I'm guessing it is because they are traveling, in Syracuse it would be a violation?

Jim knows the best Italian restaurants in every Big East city... and every NCAA site we've visited. I'm sure he will find them in Clemson (if Clemson has Italian restaurants).
Speaking of Italian restaurants, in 76 my father took me to an italian rest that was located underneath a funeral home...it was like walking into Italy down there
Honestly cannot remember the food, dad said the place was there when he went to SU in the 40's.

I work in Greenville and there are some very good restaurants downtown. If anyone comes down for a Clemson game I highly recommend a visit to downtown Greenville.

Maybe so, but one look at your avatar tells be not to listen to you.. :)

This is NCAA legal? I'm guessing it is because they are traveling, in Syracuse it would be a violation?

Yes, it's perfectly Legal, pun intended. So long as it is the entire team and not say, one or two players, it's fine.

Yes, it's perfectly Legal, pun intended. So long as it is the entire team and not say, one or two players, it's fine.
It is basically a donation to the University, and Roger probably includes it in his taxes.

Well, let me answer it this way. It's legal in Virginia to carry a firearm in a holster that isn't concealed. So It's theoretically possible that a situation like the one you described could happen in the Commonwealth.

I haven't read about any gunfights in bars in Virginia.

As long as you agree that the restrictions you want are mostly eyewash and have no real meaning, then we are in agreement.
No. I won't agree. But it doesn't belong on this forum anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom