Boneyard | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Boneyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Gibbs picked UConn over Ohio St, the sentiment on their board was "well, I can't blame him for wanting to play there"

Gibbs scored 3 more points a game, shot much, much better from 3 point line & average about an assist and a half less per game.

Note: I said McCullough and Ennis vs. Gibbs and Miller. Productivity, not clutch shots etc.

Gibbs is a disaster, good luck with that.

Do you know much about Ollie?
How much do you know about who K and Cal and Izzo and brown and Jb for that matter ,know? No one is saying that Ollie doesn't have connections. But to think that he stands out that much is over the top.

SDHusky is a devoted fan, I'll give him that. But some of this is head scratching.

let me ask you this -

Do you think UConn is top 25 team in 2016? Top 15?

Do you think Ollie will be connected to two NBA jobs next off season? Again. If so, why?

let me ask you this -

Do you think Ollie will be connected to two NBA jobs next off season? Again. If so, why?

How many nba jobs have Coach K, Izzo, Calipari been connected to, Billy Donovan and Fred Hoiberg just landed nba jobs btw.

let me ask you this -

No idea what UConn will do this year. Didn't think they would be as bad as they were last year. I don't know how connected he was this year. Oklahoma City said they didn't offer him this year. I have no way of knowing, nor do you, what the truth is. But what difference does that possible make? I'm not saying that he isn't well thought of in NBA circles. I guess he is. But if Cal, or Izzo or K put their name out there for the NBA, they would have a job. Period. I do know this, there a at least 50 guys I would take over Hoiberg so go figure from there.

1) - I was comparing 1 and dones vs. One and dones. We can visit it at the end of the season and compare the pair of players.

2) I don't think there is a college coach in the game that can match Ollies connections with NBA players and coaches. P5 or otherwise.

And yeah, this will be Ollie's turn with his players. But I remember when SU fans thought Calhoun's first BE Championship was a fluke (lived in Syracuse at the time and had season tix to the dome for BB and football) & when it was only because of Donyell and recruiting violations. And then the Calhoun's NCAA violation was the end. Then the AAC was the end. Then Calhoun retiring was the end. Now its Ollie's players signalling the end. Maybe. But SU fans have been wrong about the end of UConn BB for 25 years now.

Id like to know how you define productivity. Statistics are not productivity. Clutch shots are a part of productivity as they help equate to wins. As is game management. But given i presume you have a version of productivity slanted to help you continue to spin this ball of yarn you are building in this thread it is pointless to ask.

As for ollies connections- the # of connections has no bearing its the quality of those connections. Im willing to still argue his rolodex doesnt match k or izzos. By that argument brad stevens had more connections to the nba as well.

Id like to know how you define productivity. Statistics are not productivity. Clutch shots are a part of productivity as they help equate to wins. As is game management. But given i presume you have a version of productivity slanted to help you continue to spin this ball of yarn you are building in this thread it is pointless to ask.

I was just using points, rebounds and assists. Just numbers.

And you are completely justified to define it a different way.

I would say that Kemba and Shabazz were incredibly productive. Kemba went to 2 FF and lead UConn to 1 NC. Shabazz was part of two NC and the alpha Husky on the second.

because everyone but you knows he is on a slowly sinking ship and that, sooner or later, he is going to grab one of those lifelines

I think Ollie might go after he wins another NC. I'd take it.

I think Ollie might go after he wins another NC. I'd take it.

Oh dear lord. You are a trip. Its been fun and i appreciate the highly biased yet civilized banter. Lets revisit in a yr and see where things stand.

No idea what UConn will do this year. Didn't think they would be as bad as they were last year. I don't know how connected he was this year. Oklahoma City said they didn't offer him this year. I have no way of knowing, nor do you, what the truth is. But what difference does that possible make? I'm not saying that he isn't well thought of in NBA circles. I guess he is. But if Cal, or Izzo or K put their name out there for the NBA, they would have a job. Period. I do know this, there a at least 50 guys I would take over Hoiberg so go figure from there.

I was talking in terms of recruiting and more player connections...

I don't think Ollie would be the most desirable HC in the college ranks for the NBA, but he would be in the conversation.

Wondering out loud... what other college coach played as long as Ollie in the NBA?

I was talking in terms of recruiting and more player connections...

I don't think Ollie would be the most desirable HC in the college ranks for the NBA, but he would be in the conversation.

Wondering out loud... what other college coach played as long as Ollie in the NBA?
Wondering out loud...did you ever give that a thought when you had a d-2 player as a coach?

No because Calhoun didn't play in the NBA.
image.jpg

I was just using points, rebounds and assists. Just numbers.

And you are completely justified to define it a different way.

I would say that Kemba and Shabazz were incredibly productive. Kemba went to 2 FF and lead UConn to 1 NC. Shabazz was part of two NC and the alpha Husky on the second.
Re: Ennis and his numbers. He led the ACC in assists and steals as a freshman. That had never been done before. How do you like them numbers?

I'm not concerned about the transfers. At the end of the day, what matters is how good they are, right? Miller was a twice All-Ivy first team and performed very well against P5 schools. He shoots 85% from the line and kenpom has him as one of the best defensive rebounders in the country statistically. Gibbs is an All-BE level guard and shot 45% from 3 point last year. We'll only have them for one year, but having Gibbs allow Adams to grow into his role and Miller addresses the biggest weakness of the team. Both are day 1 starters on a top 15 or so team.

UConn will have them for one year but I predict they will be more productive than McCullough and Ennis were in their 1 year at SU.

Between Purvis, Hamilton & Adams all being top 20 players, there haven't been many times UConn has had that much recruiting Guru stars on the court at the same time. Of course, Calhoun proved to be better at evaluating talent than the guys who hand out stars so its a huge stretch to say they are more talented than previous teams until they actually prove it on the court.

Same thing with Larrier - he is a talented guy who committed more to play for Smart than VCU. When Smart left, he decided to transfer. Both Purvis and Larrier had UConn as their second choice out of high school.

I think SU fans tend to dramatically underestimate UConn's national perception and appeal. We can schedule OOC games with top tier programs every year and Gibbs said that was a factor in choosing UConn. Diarra scrimmaged against Andre Drummond on his official visit. VJ King has a picture of him and Ray Allen in his twitter feed. Ollie is very much the head of the UConn family now and former players are still really connected to him and the program. SU fans snicker when NBA super stars pay compliments to Ollie but I think 18 year old kids don't. We have phenomenal brand new practice facilities with a super crowded trophy case and we are on TV almost every game.

Clearly, this stuff matter more than P5 affiliation - do you really think Rutgers or Penn St or BCU will win more than UConn over the next decade? - but does it matter so much that it keeps us on the level with KY, Duke, KS, UofL that we've been on the last 20 years? (just counting wins here)

Now, if it turns out Ollie can't really connect and recruit & can't really coach and win, the program will definately be hurt by the lack of a P5 affiliation. If Ollie leaves and we can't get someone as good, it will hurt.

The goal at UConn every year is to win another National Championship. I don't think that has changed one iota.

Couple of responses on two different points:

1.) Bringing in 5th year players may well be a negative to overall recruiting. What high school senior wants to go to program that will constantly bring in older players to contest for his position? Not incidentally, the 5th-year thing is what Bo Ryan was ranting about at the FF, not the one-and-dones.

2.) The biggest downside to not being in a P5 conference is lack of revenues. That will cripple any program before long.

Status
Not open for further replies.