BottomLine: Support the Program | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

BottomLine: Support the Program

i have no choice. I'm addicted to Syracuse football. It's pathetic considering I also root for the Patriots but this is the ying to my yang existence.
Same here. Syracuse football makes me appreciate Belichick and Brady by the game.

Mark, I hear what you're saying, but I've been a preferred season ticket holder for 13 of the most unwatchable football years you can watch. I was hoping we would go in a new direction. If Ash is the hire, I've lost interest in attending games. I will stay home and watch the games on TV. I can't imagine a more blasé hire than Ash. He brings nothing to the table and absolutely no excitement to a program that is at rock bottom. He will be another cheap hire with no experience as a head coach and is only a CO-defensive coordinator at the moment. I don't care who he brings on for staff. A defensive mindset is just that. Even when we had Marrone, he was as conservative as you can get. Coyle blew it with Frost. He knew what he was getting into when he's your number one target. He FAILED to close. I don't care what the demands were. He should have been aware of what they were before you fire your head coach. I really haven't seen a backup plan. If Ash is it, he was totally unprepared for this coaching search. How many teams are we fighting over to get Ash? That tells me all I need to know. I can just imagine the press conference introducing this guy, he'll be lucky if anyone even attends.

I know nothing about Ash and cannot kill him as a coach. He could turn out to be great. I do know that blind support went out the window a long time ago and this will not be the type of energy jolt the fan base needs to return in droves. It will be very tough for Coyle/Ash to dig out of this without a major wins increase and consistent bowl trips starting next year. Replacing Shafer with the Oregon offense was a buzz word the fans can understand. Replacing Shafer with a DB coach simply cannot be taken seriously even with the casual fans.

otisco said:
Good riddance. The fewer halfass fairweather fans, the better.

Ok Buzz.

We're not Ohio State. We don't snap our fingers and get the best players in the country. We don't have a 110,000 seat stadium filled every week. We have an eroding fan base where true diehards are enraged over the notion of this hire.

Lawrinson14 said:
This whole ordeal just proves how valuable Coach Boeheim and Hopkins are. I hate to think what kind of basketball coach we could get post-Boeheim with SU's penny pinching.

Probably a bit better but just because we have a ton of cache in basketball.

Watch games- YES. Support- NO.

Total disaster and slap in the face. At the end of the day, the guy people thought was the consummate PRO, hired his old FRAT buddy. Is what it is.

Hacks hire their buddies. Pros hire best candidate for the job that needs to get done. Fix what is broken. You hired a DC to replace a better one as HC. Total BS.
Yeah, it was his frat buddy. Good call

Who needs Syracuse football? This is so much more entertaining!! I love all of the experts on here.

Uh I have been watching SU football since 1959. While I was fairly young, we won a national championship.
I went to SU and sat outside in the freezing rain (what I would have given for an non air conditioned dome in those days). We could barely buy a win some of those years.
I have seen this program go up and down so many times, that most of this just blows over my head. We are due for our next up, and it will come. We have some pretty good players on our roster right now, young players, and either way we needed a new coaching mindset.
So this guy is a "CO-DC" as opposed to an OC. But can he do clock management better? Will he pooch kick? Will he let the other team take 9 minutes to run the clock down only to kick a winning field goal with 3 seconds left? Would an OC have done a better job with those 9 minutes, and I know the answer will be it would not matter because we would have been up by 21. But you don't know that. Let's just take this ride and see where it goes. Don't be so sure about all of this doom and gloom.
I am going to bet that I have more "football" seniority in time spent following this program than most on here.

Honestly I have watched his videos and he does seem very intelligent and tactical. I like what he has to say about dbs. The bottom line is coyle fired shafer and said we need a different approach. The problem is this is the same approach. Obviously I'm fuming because this isn't the splash get everyone was expecting, but yes I will still support Syracuse after I blow off some steam.

Good riddance. The fewer halfass fairweather fans, the better.

What's funny about this is that generating excitement and involvement from the 'halfass fan' crew is probably the single biggest objective for Coyle and company moving forward.

Last edited:
He isn't fair weathered...he drives up from NNJ for games

So do I. But I won't threaten to stop doing so simply because our AD hires a coach all the facts and circumstances behind the hire neither I nor anyone else knows nothing about.
Honestly I have watched his videos and he does seem very intelligent and tactical. I like what he has to say about dbs. The bottom line is coyle fired shafer and said we need a different approach. The problem is this is the same approach. Obviously I'm fuming because this isn't the splash get everyone was expecting, but yes I will still support Syracuse after I blow off some steam.

That's a very fair view. And I didn't mean to suggest you're not a good fan; it's just that the threats from people that they'll stop supporting the program get to me. Coyle is a smart man - he should understand the fans' longing for relevance and good football again, and that on the surface hiring Ash is not a "splash hire" and will tap into the justified impatience of many fans. He's going to have to understand the reaction, and be prepared to address it.

So do I. But I won't threaten to stop doing so simply because our AD hires a coach all the facts and circumstances behind the hire neither I nor anyone else knows nothing about.

That's a very fair view. And I didn't mean to suggest you're not a good fan; it's just that the threats from people that they'll stop supporting the program get to me. Coyle is a smart man - he should understand the fans' longing for relevance and good football again, and that on the surface hiring Ash is not a "splash hire" and will tap into the justified impatience of many fans. He's going to have to understand the reaction, and be prepared to address it.
Let's be honest here 99%of the guys on here will say they are done but in the end we will get over it and go to the games. The bottom line is we aren't smart enough to jump on a bandwagon and be happy. we get to tailgate at the fine lot and say next year when we all know next year isn't coming. What really gets me is the fact our own school that we are supporting won't support what carries the athletic department. Ash may become the savior but we all have to be honest here no one knew who he was 24 hours ago. Meanwhile other schools target their number one and get them. Not saying frost was my one but come on how does anyone get excited for Chris ash.

Sorry, but that's a loser's mentality. Yet that is what SU is basically admitting; that we are just going to "fall in line".
Respectfully, this is nonsense. You would want the chance to prove yourself in a new job before being placed on the chopping block. Whomever Mr. Coyle brings is will want the same thing. One note that has not been discussed is that if Ash is the man, he has a great mentor and an offensive mentor at that! I am not on the Ash bandwagon (I wanted Lincoln Riley - if you are going to gamble, go with the young guy who has proven some things), but if he is given the job, I will support him.

"Fall in line" is not blindly following, but then too many on here believe that if they cannot have the coach they want, Syracuse is doomed to perpetual failure. The point being missed is that we cannot get but a fraction of the fans on this site to agree on one candidate so most of us are going to be disappointed, or as noted above, we are doomed to failure because I, Joe SU Fan, did not get the coach I wanted.

We as fans need to support Syracuse through thick and thin. Many of us have. Syracuse is not a filthy rich school and does not have limitless state funding support. Decisions must be made and chances must be taken. If we as fans do not like it, we can change our loyalties, but that really does nothing for our personal character. Coyle will get the decision right or will make the change again in the future.

after almost 55yrs of support, its time the alleged program supports me. i droped my seasons two years ago, went to 4 games this year and will go to no more if this hire is blown. gross did me in and we continue on the same ol. i have no intention of getting seasons in the future---my seasons were over 500.00 plus donation----no thanks as su has no thanks. fair weather fan???? i don't think so. disgusted fed up fan is a better description

Lets just run down the list of Potential Candidates of interest...

Richt
Golden
Orgeron
Babers
Sanford
Patricia
Montgomery
Brohm
Hudspeth

If we are going after Ash, why wouldn't we contact any of the above? If DC is the way we are going, why not try to pry Diaco away from UCONN?

This screams that we are trying to catch lightening in a bottle and hire on the cheap...AGAIN!

So, we are going to get the below...AGAIN!
HC learning on the job
game management mistakes costing wins
mistakes in hires for assistants
OC that has no experience as OC
DC that has no experience as DC
no idea if they can recruit kids to Syracuse
less attendance making the revenue problem worse

Thought this hire would be different but instead we get more of the same. Same old Syracuse BS. Not saying I won't support the kids but I have to say, this hire might be the last straw. I just still don't see the commitment from the BOT and administration to be great if this is what we fired Shafer for.

TexanMark said:
If your favorite guru didn't get picked...that is life. I hope you fall in line and support the program.

Remember it is the players and staff that makes or breaks the Head Coach. He is just the director. Let's see what type of staff gets assembled.

Sorry Mark but that is too much common sense and positivity for this site right now...people would rather get on the huge negative bandwagon rather than wait and see what happens...actually read one post where some said if this hire happens that will push them out the door...Well my answer is dont let it hit you in the rear on your way out.

Sorry Mark but that is too much common sense and positivity for this site right now...people would rather get on the huge negative bandwagon rather than wait and see what happens...actually read one post where some said if this hire happens that will push them out the door...Well my answer is dont let it hit you in the rear on your way out.

We have been waiting and painfully watching since P was fired.

Insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. It seems it has infected Seyverud and Coyle in the short time both have been here.

While our peer schools are going after hot names and experienced Head Coaches, Richt, Davis, Fuente, Shiano (hate him) SU is still looking for a coordinator and hoping they have the winning lottery ticket.

All this while the fan base erodes and interest wanes.

CuseOnly said:
We have been waiting and painfully watching since P was fired.

Insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. It seems it has infected Seyverud and Coyle in the short time both have been here.

While our peer schools are going after hot names and experienced Head Coaches, Richt, Davis, Fuente, Shiano (hate him) SU is still looking for a coordinator and hoping they have the winning lottery ticket.

All this while the fan base erodes and interest wanes.

I understand I live in SEC territory...I am frustrated with the BoT and their lack of interest in opening up the checkbook...but I think it is quite unfair to take it out on any potential hire and to make ridiculous statements like the one I mentioned in my post...

If your favorite guru didn't get picked...that is life. I hope you fall in line and support the program.

Remember it is the players and staff that makes or breaks the Head Coach. He is just the director. Let's see what type of staff gets assembled.

He's just the Director.

He's just the director????!!?!?!

Mark, come on, Man...

I understand I live in SEC territory...I am frustrated with the BoT and their lack of interest in opening up the checkbook...but I think it is quite unfair to take it out on any potential hire and to make ridiculous statements like the one I mentioned in my post...

I am taking nothing out on the potential hire because we don't know who that is but we are seeing the list and from top to bottom, I am not liking too many folks on it that we are rumored to be interviewing as compared to our "peer schools."

It almost feels as if we, the fans, are purposely being trolled by the BoT, Chancellor and our new AD. Strung along until we are fed up to the point of either apathy or anger to pull the plug as the losses pile up.

The rumor was before Marrone was hired that SU was willing and offered some, at the time, good hot candidates around 2.5 mil to bring them aboard. What in the hell would make them think that the same 2.5 mil would get it done almost 8 years later?

That is just plain dumb all the way around. Fuente 3.2 mil, 20.5 over 6 years, Iowa State got their first choice with a salary starting at 2 mil, maybe if we interviewed him and offered 2.5 or 3 he would be ours. It seems like they are calling around and interviewing without any real desire to hire anyone that is even desirable by anyone.

On top of that, I feel like burning my money instead of spending it going to games and memorabilia is a better use for it because it certainly is not being used to better the program.

Will you be deflated if it is Ash?
I will be deflated and will be forced to record coaching lessons from other coaches and put bugs in the opponents locker rooms.

Who needs Syracuse football? This is so much more entertaining!! I love all of the experts on here.

Uh I have been watching SU football since 1959. While I was fairly young, we won a national championship.
I went to SU and sat outside in the freezing rain (what I would have given for an non air conditioned dome in those days). We could barely buy a win some of those years.
I have seen this program go up and down so many times, that most of this just blows over my head. We are due for our next up, and it will come. We have some pretty good players on our roster right now, young players, and either way we needed a new coaching mindset.
So this guy is a "CO-DC" as opposed to an OC. But can he do clock management better? Will he pooch kick? Will he let the other team take 9 minutes to run the clock down only to kick a winning field goal with 3 seconds left? Would an OC have done a better job with those 9 minutes, and I know the answer will be it would not matter because we would have been up by 21. But you don't know that. Let's just take this ride and see where it goes. Don't be so sure about all of this doom and gloom.
I am going to bet that I have more "football" seniority in time spent following this program than most on here.
THERE'S BEEN A FEW DRIVES LIKE THAT IN DIFFERENT GAMES LIKE THAT THIS YEAR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom