Boxing | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Boxing

Where are the young heavyweights?

Fury is 33, Usyk 35, Wilder 36, Joshua 32, Ruiz, 32, Whyte 33, Parker 30, Ortiz 43, Joyce, 9the 13-0 guy) 36 and Wallin 31.

I realize that heavyweights take longer to mature and tend toward longer careers but there no one in their 20's that rates the top ten? Could we at least finally have Wilder - Joshua for old times sake. We could remember when they mattered.

And when will we get Terrence Crawford (34, 38-0) vs. Erroll Spence (32, 27-0)?

Also when do we finally get knock-off fights between 20-0 George Kambosos, 26-0 Tak Davis, 27-0 Devin Haney, 21-0 Ryan Garcia, 17-0 Shakur Stevenson, etc. Stevenson is supposed to fight 30-0 Oscar Valdez on April 30 but ESPN doesn't have him in the ranking because he tested positive for a banned substance. Is that still on? When does 16-1 Teo Lopez's comeback begin? And will Lomachenko come back from fighting the Russians?

Where are the young heavyweights?

Fury is 33, Usyk 35, Wilder 36, Joshua 32, Ruiz, 32, Whyte 33, Parker 30, Ortiz 43, Joyce, 9the 13-0 guy) 36 and Wallin 31.

I realize that heavyweights take longer to mature and tend toward longer careers but there no one in their 20's that rates the top ten? Could we at least finally have Wilder - Joshua for old times sake. We could remember when they mattered.

And when will we get Terrence Crawford (34, 38-0) vs. Erroll Spence (32, 27-0)?

Also when do we finally get knock-off fights between 20-0 George Kambosos, 26-0 Tak Davis, 27-0 Devin Haney, 21-0 Ryan Garcia, 17-0 Shakur Stevenson, etc. Stevenson is supposed to fight 30-0 Oscar Valdez on April 30 but ESPN doesn't have him in the ranking because he tested positive for a banned substance. Is that still on? When does 16-1 Teo Lopez's comeback begin? And will Lomachenko come back from fighting the Russians?
Signed fights of significance for this year so far (that I’m aware of):

- Golovkin-Murata (4/9)
- Spence-Ugas (4/16)
- Fury-Whyte (4/23)
- Valdez-Stevenson (4/30)
- Taylor-Serrano (if you like women’s boxing - I don’t)
- Canelo-Bivol (5/7)
- Charlo-Castano 2 (5/14)
- Kambosos-Haney (Haney replacement for Loma - in Ukraine) (6/4)
- Fulton-Roman (6/4)
- Beterbiev-Smith (6/18)
- Inoue-Donaire 2 (6/7)
Plus, we'll probably get Usyk-Joshua 2, Munguia-Jacobs and Choclatito-Ioka by late summer.

I’ve seen worse lineups. Fury-Whyte / Usyk-Joshua winners will (most likely) unify at year’s end. Canelo (if he defeats Bivol - a big If IMO) and GGG could trade leather one last time by end of year. Stevenson (if he beats Ortiz) probably gets Kambosos-Haney winner at Lightweight (all TR contracts now). Beterbiev-Smith will be violent. Winner could get Canelo/Bivol for Undisputed at 175. Maybe Nonito has enough left to give Monster a fight again. Ugas has a rangy, awkward style and could outpoint Spence (need to see if Errol has anything left after the injuries and layoffs) . We’ll see….

First “knock-off” at 135 is Kambosos-Haney Down Under in June. I’ve heard Teo Lopez handlers are targeting Josh Taylor at 140 for the summer. Turned down Kambosos rematch because he didn’t want to fight in Australia (so I read, might be that he can no longer cut to 135). He needs to reorganize his management team and get back in the ring (IMO). Tank Davis is fighting a very unproven Rolly Romero (5/28) at Barclays. Ellerbie and Haymon continue the low risk/pad the gate career approach for Davis. Probably saving him for a Shakur or Ryan Garcia mega-fight down the line. Garcia is finally fighting again next week (Emmanuel Tagoe). Maybe Oscar will convince Ryan to fight more often in the ring and less on social media…. Loma is a wildcard. Cannot see him fighting again anytime soon. Depending on his participation in the war, I could see Bob trying to line up Vasily with Stevenson eventually.

Unfortunately, I don’t see Spence-Crawford anytime in the near future. I’ve read two rumors about Bud - that he’ll sign a two fight deal with Haymon (which would, theoretically, make a Spence matchup possible) and that Boots Ennis is interested in a “coming out party” showdown with Terrance. If Bud signs with PBC, Al might also push him towards Charlo at 154. IMO, most likely, Crawford stays wrapped up in the courts with TR and stays inactive. Too bad - I’m not optimistic. Father Time is ticking for Crawford.

Would love to see a Joshua/Wilder matchup. But, since I doubt AJ’s handlers will ever agree to terms for such a dangerous fight, I can always go to YouTube and watch a re-run of the Wladimir Klitschko- Corrie Sanders fight from 2003.…. I think (an “un-shot”) Wilder blows through Joshua much like Sanders did Wlad. I give Joshua a better chance against Usyk in their rematch than against a motivated and ready Wilder. Styles (and vulnerabilities) make fights. Just my opinion….

I agree the Heavyweights are devoid of a real “up and coming” young potential star. Jalolov, Yoka, Anderson and Hrgovic seem best poised as the “next generation,” but none appear in the class (or ready for) the Top 4 yet. I think Jalolov and Hrgovic probably have the most future potential, but some pundits really like Anderson and Yoka. IMO, the best American Heavyweights are all playing football, basketball and baseball these days. I’ve always wondered how dominant an Aaron Judge or a Lebron James or a Von Miller would have been as pro boxers.…

Signed fights of significance for this year so far (that I’m aware of):

- Golovkin-Murata (4/9)
- Spence-Ugas (4/16)
- Fury-Whyte (4/23)
- Valdez-Stevenson (4/30)
- Taylor-Serrano (if you like women’s boxing - I don’t)
- Canelo-Bivol (5/7)
- Charlo-Castano 2 (5/14)
- Kambosos-Haney (Haney replacement for Loma - in Ukraine) (6/4)
- Fulton-Roman (6/4)
- Beterbiev-Smith (6/18)
- Inoue-Donaire 2 (6/7)
Plus, we'll probably get Usyk-Joshua 2, Munguia-Jacobs and Choclatito-Ioka by late summer.

I’ve seen worse lineups. Fury-Whyte / Usyk-Joshua winners will (most likely) unify at year’s end. Canelo (if he defeats Bivol - a big If IMO) and GGG could trade leather one last time by end of year. Stevenson (if he beats Ortiz) probably gets Kambosos-Haney winner at Lightweight (all TR contracts now). Beterbiev-Smith will be violent. Winner could get Canelo/Bivol for Undisputed at 175. Maybe Nonito has enough left to give Monster a fight again. Ugas has a rangy, awkward style and could outpoint Spence (need to see if Errol has anything left after the injuries and layoffs) . We’ll see….

First “knock-off” at 135 is Kambosos-Haney Down Under in June. I’ve heard Teo Lopez handlers are targeting Josh Taylor at 140 for the summer. Turned down Kambosos rematch because he didn’t want to fight in Australia (so I read, might be that he can no longer cut to 135). He needs to reorganize his management team and get back in the ring (IMO). Tank Davis is fighting a very unproven Rolly Romero (5/28) at Barclays. Ellerbie and Haymon continue the low risk/pad the gate career approach for Davis. Probably saving him for a Shakur or Ryan Garcia mega-fight down the line. Garcia is finally fighting again next week (Emmanuel Tagoe). Maybe Oscar will convince Ryan to fight more often in the ring and less on social media…. Loma is a wildcard. Cannot see him fighting again anytime soon. Depending on his participation in the war, I could see Bob trying to line up Vasily with Stevenson eventually.

Unfortunately, I don’t see Spence-Crawford anytime in the near future. I’ve read two rumors about Bud - that he’ll sign a two fight deal with Haymon (which would, theoretically, make a Spence matchup possible) and that Boots Ennis is interested in a “coming out party” showdown with Terrance. If Bud signs with PBC, Al might also push him towards Charlo at 154. IMO, most likely, Crawford stays wrapped up in the courts with TR and stays inactive. Too bad - I’m not optimistic. Father Time is ticking for Crawford.

Would love to see a Joshua/Wilder matchup. But, since I doubt AJ’s handlers will ever agree to terms for such a dangerous fight, I can always go to YouTube and watch a re-run of the Wladimir Klitschko- Corrie Sanders fight from 2003.…. I think (an “un-shot”) Wilder blows through Joshua much like Sanders did Wlad. I give Joshua a better chance against Usyk in their rematch than against a motivated and ready Wilder. Styles (and vulnerabilities) make fights. Just my opinion….

I agree the Heavyweights are devoid of a real “up and coming” young potential star. Jalolov, Yoka, Anderson and Hrgovic seem best poised as the “next generation,” but none appear in the class (or ready for) the Top 4 yet. I think Jalolov and Hrgovic probably have the most future potential, but some pundits really like Anderson and Yoka. IMO, the best American Heavyweights are all playing football, basketball and baseball these days. I’ve always wondered how dominant an Aaron Judge or a Lebron James or a Von Miller would have been as pro boxers.…

Well that sounds better than all the TBAs I was looking at on ESPN's schedule. Hopefully things will pick up as the year goes along. Thanks for the detailed response.

I just watched GGG's latest fight on DAZN against Murata. Earlier today I saw a graphic that in his two fights with Canelo Alvarez, Golovkin landed more punches than Canelo did in 18 of the 22 rounds. Of course, punch counts in boxing are like yards in football and hits in baseball: they are an indicator of who probably won but they don't determine the outcome by themselves. My recollection is that each of those 22 rounds featured moments when each fighter seemed to have the advantage and you could argue for either man winning each of them. I was rooting for Canelo but felt GGG won both fights. I've always wondered if Canelo got a draw to set up a second fight and won the second fight because he had more fans and would be a bigger money maker.

I also felt that Golovkin, despite being the older man, got stronger as those fights went on and that's what happened today. Murata stood his ground and traded punches effectively with Gennady, even forcing him backwards. He threw very straight punches, some of which were blocked but some of which were not. The commentator noted, "Neither of these men fights well moving backwards". Most fighters don't, (sideway, yes, backwards, no.) GGG would start aggressively but Murata would match that aggression and Golovkin would back off.

This began to change in the 5th round as GGG started to find some openings and in the 6th round he knocked Murata's mouthpiece out. the younger man faded badly after that, staggering to his corner after the 8th round. GGG battered him through the 9th until he turned away from Gennady and went down to one knee. His corner through in the towel. I didn't think that rule still applied but it did here and the fight was over.

GGG is still a formidable fighter. Whether he can beat Canelo, who keeps getting better, I don't know. Whether he would get the decision even if he did, I don't know, either.

I also watched the Ryan Garcia fight against Emmauel Tagoe, who spent the first half of the fight just trying to avoid punches, then stood and fought in the second half but was out-gunned.

Garcia had said that he's not interested in winning decisions - he wants to knock people out. But I see him as an all-around fighter who can punch hard but isn't a one-punch knock-out guy, (especially since his size probably dictates that his future is as a welterweight). He has excellent hand speed and can throw combinations. he's more likely to out-point the top fighters. But he needs to work off the jab much more to find his opponent, keep him on the defensive and set up his other punches. he also needs to improve his footwork to cut off the ring when faced with a guy like Tagoe, who was on his wheels for much of the fight.

The fight itself was totally one-sided. I gave Garcia the first 11 rounds, then relented and gave the busier Tagoe the 12th round. Garcia knocked him down in the second and 10th rounds but could never put Tagoe away. That made my card 119-107. The judges had it 119-108, (twice), and 118-109.

But Garcia needs to improve that footwork, use his jab and concentrate on winning fights rather than knocking people out to compete with the best fighters in the lightweight and welterweight divisions.

I also watched the Ryan Garcia fight against Emmauel Tagoe, who spent the first half of the fight just trying to avoid punches, then stood and fought in the second half but was out-gunned.

Garcia had said that he's not interested in winning decisions - he wants to knock people out. But I see him as an all-around fighter who can punch hard but isn't a one-punch knock-out guy, (especially since his size probably dictates that his future is as a welterweight). He has excellent hand speed and can throw combinations. he's more likely to out-point the top fighters. But he needs to work off the jab much more to find his opponent, keep him on the defensive and set up his other punches. he also needs to improve his footwork to cut off the ring when faced with a guy like Tagoe, who was on his wheels for much of the fight.

The fight itself was totally one-sided. I gave Garcia the first 11 rounds, then relented and gave the busier Tagoe the 12th round. Garcia knocked him down in the second and 10th rounds but could never put Tagoe away. That made my card 119-107. The judges had it 119-108, (twice), and 118-109.

But Garcia needs to improve that footwork, use his jab and concentrate on winning fights rather than knocking people out to compete with the best fighters in the lightweight and welterweight divisions.

Pretty good day of fights. Early AM and evening.

I thought Murata would give GGG a run for his money. Great amateur (like GGG) that just never put it all together as a pro. He was home, younger, rested, a bruiser, Golovkin was inactive and showing father time. I smelled potential upset. And after 5, I thought my prediction looked feasible. Thought Murata had the right strategy (midrange, straight 1-2, went to body hard, controlled distance and kept GGG from working inside). He was hurting Gennady to the midsection, but taking too much return fire. Like you said, GGG clicked into another gear in the 6th and Murata wilted. Sneaky counter right hook ended it (don’t see that punch often). I agree - don’t think GGG is anywhere near Prime anymore, but he still has that ramrod jab, concrete hands and a world-class chin. Reminds me, in a way, of a late career Julio Caesar Chavez Sr. Still an offensive machine, but slower and easier to hit. Also allot more vulnerable to the body. Shaker and mover with power and speed would really give him fits at this stage (maybe the Charlo’s, maybe a Crawford if he’d move up 10 lbs). But, even at this late stage of career, not many at 160 that I would pick over him. That said, I think Canelo beats him up if they share the ring again. Bigger (and better) now….

Thought Tagoe was cherry-picked for Garcia’s return (very long layoff). Size, power, hand speed and reflex differential was marked. I know many pundits don’t like Garcia; I too think he’s underdeveloped and over-hyped. But, I see allot of natural gifts (reminds me of a raw, amateur pre-Olympic Lightweight Oscar De LaHoya in a way) - big for weight, hand speed, natural LH power, reflexes. But he needs allot of technique work. Loops his punches, initiates from too far out/leaps into punches, drops the hands and lifts the chin, no set-up or economy to the offense (just walks to opponent and throws allot). Like you identified, often off balance and failed to cut off the ring effectively. All bad practices/habits. He just boxes (at this stage) with natural physical tools and athleticism. IMO, not nearly enough if thrown in with the Top 5 (or 10…) 135’ers right now. He has millions of YouTube followers though, so I guess there’s that….

Lublin-Fundora may have been the most competitive and action packed of the trilogy today. Don’t see too many 6-6 Jr Mids (Fundora). And one that likes to fight on the inside as well…. Thought it was over early when Fundora dropped Lublin hard in the 2nd. Lublin showed heart and fought back (even dropped Fundora late in the 7th). Corner pulled Lublin out after a rough 9th - he was really busted up and appeared to fight thru a broken nose for several rds. Fundora reminds me a bit of a (less polished) Emanuel Navarette (Featherweight Champ). High motor, stays in pocket, punches in bunches from all over the place. Both fighters came up differently (Fundora not a promotional star, matched tough early, Lublin a PBC stable showcase along with Charlo’s). But Fundora now probably get’s the Charlo-Castano winner next. Good for him. Nice to see a fighter that came up the “hard way” get a chance and succeed….

Just catching up after a while. So just some quick thoughts to piggyback off the conversation;

I just can't do GGG anymore. I really liked him and rooted for him constantly, but I'm not interested in seeing him fight these days. Canelo would kill him next time. He's not going to win at the top so for me it's not worth my time.

Tagoe v Garcia. Agree with JAX, obviously no matter who it was for Garcia's return, it would be someone his camp knows he can beat. Anything else would be malpractice imo, especially with such a young fighter and one with some things going on upstairs. I make no bones on saying I've never liked him and still don't. He's got serious skills in hand speed, heart and natural skills. He's terrible on defense and his feet still stand flat not moving much. My better half, she's into boxing like I am and we watch all matches together. She first mentioned how she hates the looping punches from Garcia as well. He wanted to call out the top dogs, Tank, Kambosos, who both would really expose his weaknesses. He's just not on that level yet if he ever will be, but I'd love to see it happen.

Lublin v Fundora. Crazy fight, man Lublin has heart. Fundora's so awkward to watch, but he makes it work. I'll look forward to seeing him step up in opponents in the future.

Now for my boy Spence tonight. Great and tough matchup for him, not just some targeted opponent. If he wins, this will be his "I'm back" fight, that I've been waiting on and we can put the car crash, etc. behind him, and only look forward.

Spence beat up Ugas for 9 rounds before the ref finally stopped it in the 10th. It was a battle of a guy with a jab vs. a guy without one. Spence out-landed Ugas 216-96 according to the official punch count. I thought it was much worse. Spence just out-worked Ugas, who kept looking for the perfect counterpunch and finally just was so damaged he couldn't even do that. Ugas had one good moment in the 6th when he hit Spence in the neck, causing him to expel his mouthpiece. Spence thought the ref was calling time out to retrieve it and got knocked backwards by a follow-up punch by Ugas. He fell against the ropes. The ref then did call time out to get the mouthpiece, allowing Spence some recovery time. Spence then went into a defensive posture for about a minute, then went back to work.

As the color man said, he threw not only a variety of punches but a variety of combinations from a variety of angles. It was too much for Ugas, who really became the worse for wear in the later rounds. Spence is not an explosive puncher when fighting a top-level fighter but every punch matters and by the end of the fight Ugas was almost unrecognizable with this right eye closed by swelling and his left eye getting there. His face was so red he looked like a burn victim. I was worried that the fight might have a tragic ending and felt they should have stopped it the first time the doctor examined Ugas. He was hopelessly behind in the scoring, (I had it 89-82 and the judges were similar), and no longer really fighting back but they let it go on for another couple of rounds before they finally did stop it over Ugas' protests. He's a game competitor, perhaps too much for his own good.

Spence looked fully back from his accident and lay-off, much better than he did against Garcia. Now there's only one thing to do: match Spence and Terrence Crawford. I think they're the two best fighters in the world.

Last edited:
Good accurate summary. Spence is back, I do wonder about his left eye though, as when Ugas did have success it was hitting that left eye. Something defensively seemed slightly off there. I've never heard Spence call out or talk trash really, and he did exactly that to Crawford. Crawford tweeted out immediately, no more talk, coming to get my belts, etc. So it would seem this can happen after all?

Good accurate summary. Spence is back, I do wonder about his left eye though, as when Ugas did have success it was hitting that left eye. Something defensively seemed slightly off there. I've never heard Spence call out or talk trash really, and he did exactly that to Crawford. Crawford tweeted out immediately, no more talk, coming to get my belts, etc. So it would seem this can happen after all?
Agree - Really solid performance by Spence vs a capable, long (same-sized), awkward, tricky opponent. Aggression, offensive pressure, effective punch-rate and stamina were back - missing in his previous two scraps. Good to see….

Good observation about Spence’s left eye. Ugas seemed to try and target it early as a strategy. Didn’t recognize during the fight. Had to go back and watch it again.

I was intrigued by this fight primarily because I saw Ugas as a “2nd rate/poor-man’s Crawford.” Wanted to see if Spence was still prime and how he’d handle the economical and accurate counterpuncher, rangy style, reach and hand speed. Thought Spence’s corner (Derrick James) had a nice fight plan/strategy. Like SWC identified, good use of angling and the left uppercut. Crowded the left side, stayed close and took away Ugas’ RH counter from distance (his best weapon - slapped Manny around with it in his last fight). Could be a preview of an approach they want to use in the future….

I don’t like Lawrence Cole as a referee. Poor timing/management of the mouthpiece situation in Rd 6 (arguably coulda caused a Spence knockdown and xtra recovery period) and waited too long to stop the fight (again - arguably). Ugas’ corner should have pulled him out a round earlier anyway IMO. That eye looked broken (to me).

IMO, Spence-Crawford is the most intriguing matchup in the sport. A real 50/50 fight. The way I see it - obstacle is Haymon…. PBC is a tough and restrictive (terms) promoter/negotiator. Spence (publicly) calling out Crawford (and Crawford’s response) was a good signal. They’ve never done that before (previously simply verbally “jabbed” at one another in social media and at events). Bud’s no longer with Arum, so maybe they get it done. Reading the boxing rags and ”prognosticators” in the business, I sense Spence recognizes he’s gonna have to “bend” somewhat on “A-side” particulars (purse split, rematch, future contract options, etc). He and Crawford are the only two Welters really left standing (other than a couple of the unproven, untested younger fellas - Ennis and Ortiz). Hopefully, this performance (from Spence) builds public demand for it. Timing is perfect for later in the year; Spence and Crawford have to fight and soon. it’s just gonna hurt them both (financially and legacy) if they don’t….

Really friggin' love Tyson Fury.

After a sleep-inducing undercard, the main event had little potential as a wake-up call until Fury nailed Whyte with a classic upper-cut in the 6th round. Dillian fell backwards and landed flat on his back, (aided by a push from Fury). Whyte was able to get up but as the ref was looking at him, he stumbled toward the ropes and fell against them. The ref ended it there. One of the great one-punch knockouts in history. I had Fury ahead 50-45 going into that round. He used his height, a decent jab and some good combinations to keep Whyte off of him and pile up the points. Timothy Bradly noted that Dillan had never fought a guy bigger than him and had no ability to bob and weave and try to get inside. He also kept his front leg straight, which made it difficult to keep his balance. He was wide open for the uppercut because he fought upright with his chin not tucked against his body.

After the fight, Fury attributed his victory to Jesus. It's hard to imagine Jesus caring who won a boxing match two millennia after his life. Fury then led the crowd in a sing along. He never quite said that he was retired, just that this night would be a great night to end his career on. Then he brought Francis Ngannou into the ring. He's the UFC heavyweight champion and supposedly the hardest puncher on the planet: Francis Ngannou - Wikipedia They are in talks to have a confrontation under a hybrid set of rules later this year. I wonder who Jesus will favor in that one.

Meanwhile it will be up to Usyk to clean up the division, which could coax Fury out of his 'retirement'. Who else is there?

I’d be shocked if Tyson was actually done. Especially after Usyk beats AJ in the rematch and the talks of him and Usyk really start to ramp up. Long live the gypsy king.

After a sleep-inducing undercard, the main event had little potential as a wake-up call until Fury nailed Whyte with a classic upper-cut in the 6th round. Dillian fell backwards and landed flat on his back, (aided by a push from Fury). Whyte was able to get up but as the ref was looking at him, he stumbled toward the ropes and fell against them. The ref ended it there. One of the great one-punch knockouts in history. I had Fury ahead 50-45 going into that round. He used his height, a decent jab and some good combinations to keep Whyte off of him and pile up the points. Timothy Bradly noted that Dillan had never fought a guy bigger than him and had no ability to bob and weave and try to get inside. He also kept his front leg straight, which made it difficult to keep his balance. He was wide open for the uppercut because he fought upright with his chin not tucked against his body.

After the fight, Fury attributed his victory to Jesus. It's hard to imagine Jesus caring who won a boxing match two millennia after his life. Fury then led the crowd in a sing along. He never quite said that he was retired, just that this night would be a great night to end his career on. Then he brought Francis Ngannou into the ring. He's the UFC heavyweight champion and supposedly the hardest puncher on the planet: Francis Ngannou - Wikipedia They are in talks to have a confrontation under a hybrid set of rules later this year. I wonder who Jesus will favor in that one.

Meanwhile it will be up to Usyk to clean up the division, which could coax Fury out of his 'retirement'. Who else is there?
There isn’t anyone else (right now), other than Usyk-Joshua rematch winner…. Which I’d like to see, although would favor Fury over either. Me thinks Joshua (could be) more of a “stylistic” problem for Tyson (longer and bigger, even if he’s very chinny). Styles make fights. Think Usyk probably stops Joshua in the rematch, so probably academic anyway….

Sloppy fight with a highlight finish. Before the KO, most entertaining part of the fight was the ring entrance at Wembley.…Thought Fury would dominate (if he was motivated). Whyte just not in the class. Not a big fan of Dillian- pretty average world-class journeyman (as are most of the contenders right now, except the Big 4). Strong with power in the LH, but not much else. Really vulnerable to the uppercut (KO’d three times by same punch) for the reasons you/Bradley identified. Surprised he never corrected/compensated for it during a pretty long career. Nothing more than a measuring stick for the young guys at this stage. Got two cracks at the title, should call it a career….

Fury is just a freak. Not much to look at, but just so big, athletic/coordinated and skilled. I’m amazed at his conditioning and pace considering size and (excess) weight. And quite the personality (dare say almost late-career ”Ali-like” charisma). Never seen anything quite like him in the sport. Has morphed stylistically - not as much a back-footer anymore, but presses his opponent (more) and uses physicality and work rate to beat them down. Credit his training team (Hill and Andy Lee) - helped him set down more on punches and made his approach more ”aggressive/fan friendly” over the past couple of years.

Despite ”retirement talk,” I don’t think this is the last time we see him in the ring. I agree - If I was a betting man, me thinks Arum talks him back into the squared circle for Usyk early next year.

I’m more intrigued with next week’s main event - Valdez/Stevenson. IMO, Valdez is live - first real competitive threat Shakur has faced as a pro. Could be a preview for how he stacks up to the young crop of top 135 lbers.

Got calls asking if I was getting the fight, nope. Had 0 interest in this one, Whyte is average. Also I have a monthly subscription to ESPN+ just for boxing. They wanted another $70 on top of that. I'm cancelling and will reup month to month as the fights are. The only fight left in the division these days is Usyk v Fury, that's the only one I want to see. Joshua will be the media matchup and the one fringe fans want, but honestly he's the most overhyped heavyweight in years with little heart.

Yes agreed, can't wait to watch next weeks Valdez/Stevenson. Shakur better bring some fireworks on offense and show he's more well rounded than critics talk about, because Valdez will bring it.

Got calls asking if I was getting the fight, nope. Had 0 interest in this one, Whyte is average. Also I have a monthly subscription to ESPN+ just for boxing. They wanted another $70 on top of that. I'm cancelling and will reup month to month as the fights are. The only fight left in the division these days is Usyk v Fury, that's the only one I want to see. Joshua will be the media matchup and the one fringe fans want, but honestly he's the most overhyped heavyweight in years with little heart.

Yes agreed, can't wait to watch next weeks Valdez/Stevenson. Shakur better bring some fireworks on offense and show he's more well rounded than critics talk about, because Valdez will bring it.

I'd still like to see Wilder-Joshua, just for the heck of it. That would have been a megafight three years ago but boxing, as usual, blew it. I just want to see what would have happened.

Went to the local bar for the fight (wouldn’t pay xtra for it either). I hate the PPV business model (today) too. Many mediocre matchups overpriced with crap undercards. Streaming conglomerates (especially DAZN and ESPN+) were marketed as the “successor to PPV” - get all the fights (and other sports programming) for one monthly premium. No xtra costs for the “big” events - you were already paying for it. Sad to see they all (Showtime, ESPN+, DAZN) are soaking us for more…. Promoters are selling “favorite fighter/personality” to the public instead of quality matchups. PPV buys (numbers) aren’t what they used to be. Heard PBC lost allot of money on Tank Davis’ last few PPV scraps. Could be why Mayweather Promotions is “wanking” at Davis in social media (threatening to drop him as a promotion entity) after the upcoming Romero fight. Probably just trying to sell drama because the numbers are poor. I miss the days when the networks bid for quality matchups (HBO usually didn’t accept/buy mismatches). Promoter/network exclusivity has diluted the sport in many respects.

That said, I’m buying Canelo/Bivol. Hating the xtra $50 but I smell upset.

And agree about AJ. Frank Bruno 2.0.…

I'd still like to see Wilder-Joshua, just for the heck of it. That would have been a megafight three years ago but boxing, as usual, blew it. I just want to see what would have happened.
Think Eddie Hearn suspected this would happen. That’s why he wouldn’t make the fight…

ACAF50FE-1854-4ED4-8B7B-00250A9E0EB7.jpeg

I decided to watch the Katie Taylor- Amanda Serrano fight, even though I don’t normally pay much attention to women’s boxing. There was an article on the two of them in SI a few weeks back and this was billed as the biggest women’s fight ever. The atmosphere was like Leonard-Hagler or Mayweather-Pacquiao. Serrano was the physically stronger, harder puncher of the two, (42-1-1 with 30 KOs vs. 20-0 with 6). She was two years younger, (33 to 35) but has been fighting as a pro since 2009. Taylor was the 2016 Olympic champ and then turned pro.

Serrano marched forward behind her jab. Taylor weas in and out, throwing accurate counterpunches. The problem with counterpunches is that you aren’t going to have the same volume of punches so they’ve got to have a greater effect than your opponent’s punches and if your opponent is the harder puncher, that’s hard to do. Also, Taylor had a bad habit of not returning her hands into a defensive position after a punch and so she was vulnerable to counter-punches herself. Serrano was the more aggressive in the first round, but Taylor turned that around in rounds two and three. In the fourth round there was constant action. Taylor landed more punches but took some hard shots and was looking the worse for wear. In the fifth round, Taylor made the mistake standing in the corner and trading with Serrano and she got the worst of it. The look in her eyes was one of panic. Her defensive movement stopped and her rate of throwing punches declined to almost nothing. It looked like the ref was thinking of stopping it. Katie was lucky they were fighting two-minute rounds. In her corner she seemed not even to be paying attention to her corner’s instructions, as if she couldn’t comprehend them. I expected her to get knocked out in the 6th round.

But she didn’t. Serrano won it but Taylor survived it and in her corner she appeared clear-eyed and was fully cognizant of what her cornerman was saying. Here in-and-out movement returned. I gave Serrano round seven but she seemed to be running out of gas. Taylor got her second wind and won rounds 8 and 9 to even the fight on my card at 86-86, (I had round 4 even). Round ten was toe-to-toe, both women giving it all they had. Taylor got rocked a couple times and for me that was the margin of victory, 96-95 for Serrano.

The judges didn’t see it that way, one going 96-94 for Taylor but the other two decisively for Taylor, 97-93 and 96-93. It was the type of fight with so many competitive rounds that different judges could have very different looking-cards and yet they saw the same fight. Punch count said that Serrano threw 624 punches to Taylor’s 375 which didn’t seem quite right. But Taylor landed 39% for 147 to 28% for 173, which seemed closer to the truth. I’d rate it the fight of the year so far, men or women. They will no doubt be fighting again.

The Shakur Stevenson-Oscar Valdez fight was a one-sided disappointment. Stevenson was cleared bigger and stronger than Valdez and used a steady diet of jabs and left hooks to keep Valdez at distance, which allowed him to tee off on his smaller opponent. Valdez never dis solve to combination. He went down when he got turned around, lost his balance but got hit by a punch on his way into the ropes. The ref called it a knockdown, giving Shakur a 10-8 sixth round. Valdez eventually gave up trying to avoid Shakur’s bread and butter, just wading in to get off punches. It was a strategy that made the fight more competitive but did nothing to turn it around. I gave Valdez the third and 9th rounds with the sixth even but that was generous. Stevenson never lost control of the fight. Neither fighter had the other in trouble but Stevenson was unmarked while Valdez’s face was red from early in the fight and he got a cut on his cheek.

My card was 118-111. The judges had it 117-100 and twice, 118-109. I don’t have the punch count.
I don’t know what Valdez’ future is but it won’t include any victories over Stevenson, who seems headed for bigger things – and bigger opponents. The one thing missing for him is a knock-out punch. His punches sting but they don’t disable his opponent.

I decided to watch the Katie Taylor- Amanda Serrano fight, even though I don’t normally pay much attention to women’s boxing. There was an article on the two of them in SI a few weeks back and this was billed as the biggest women’s fight ever. The atmosphere was like Leonard-Hagler or Mayweather-Pacquiao. Serrano was the physically stronger, harder puncher of the two, (42-1-1 with 30 KOs vs. 20-0 with 6). She was two years younger, (33 to 35) but has been fighting as a pro since 2009. Taylor was the 2016 Olympic champ and then turned pro.

Serrano marched forward behind her jab. Taylor weas in and out, throwing accurate counterpunches. The problem with counterpunches is that you aren’t going to have the same volume of punches so they’ve got to have a greater effect than your opponent’s punches and if your opponent is the harder puncher, that’s hard to do. Also, Taylor had a bad habit of not returning her hands into a defensive position after a punch and so she was vulnerable to counter-punches herself. Serrano was the more aggressive in the first round, but Taylor turned that around in rounds two and three. In the fourth round there was constant action. Taylor landed more punches but took some hard shots and was looking the worse for wear. In the fifth round, Taylor made the mistake standing in the corner and trading with Serrano and she got the worst of it. The look in her eyes was one of panic. Her defensive movement stopped and her rate of throwing punches declined to almost nothing. It looked like the ref was thinking of stopping it. Katie was lucky they were fighting two-minute rounds. In her corner she seemed not even to be paying attention to her corner’s instructions, as if she couldn’t comprehend them. I expected her to get knocked out in the 6th round.

But she didn’t. Serrano won it but Taylor survived it and in her corner she appeared clear-eyed and was fully cognizant of what her cornerman was saying. Here in-and-out movement returned. I gave Serrano round seven but she seemed to be running out of gas. Taylor got her second wind and won rounds 8 and 9 to even the fight on my card at 86-86, (I had round 4 even). Round ten was toe-to-toe, both women giving it all they had. Taylor got rocked a couple times and for me that was the margin of victory, 96-95 for Serrano.

The judges didn’t see it that way, one going 96-94 for Taylor but the other two decisively for Taylor, 97-93 and 96-93. It was the type of fight with so many competitive rounds that different judges could have very different looking-cards and yet they saw the same fight. Punch count said that Serrano threw 624 punches to Taylor’s 375 which didn’t seem quite right. But Taylor landed 39% for 147 to 28% for 173, which seemed closer to the truth. I’d rate it the fight of the year so far, men or women. They will no doubt be fighting again.

The Shakur Stevenson-Oscar Valdez fight was a one-sided disappointment. Stevenson was cleared bigger and stronger than Valdez and used a steady diet of jabs and left hooks to keep Valdez at distance, which allowed him to tee off on his smaller opponent. Valdez never dis solve to combination. He went down when he got turned around, lost his balance but got hit by a punch on his way into the ropes. The ref called it a knockdown, giving Shakur a 10-8 sixth round. Valdez eventually gave up trying to avoid Shakur’s bread and butter, just wading in to get off punches. It was a strategy that made the fight more competitive but did nothing to turn it around. I gave Valdez the third and 9th rounds with the sixth even but that was generous. Stevenson never lost control of the fight. Neither fighter had the other in trouble but Stevenson was unmarked while Valdez’s face was red from early in the fight and he got a cut on his cheek.

My card was 118-111. The judges had it 117-100 and twice, 118-109. I don’t have the punch count.
I don’t know what Valdez’ future is but it won’t include any victories over Stevenson, who seems headed for bigger things – and bigger opponents. The one thing missing for him is a knock-out punch. His punches sting but they don’t disable his opponent.
Not a fan of woman’s boxing either, but agree - watched Taylor/Serrano and it was very action packed. Evenly matched, great atmosphere, high contact and momentum shifts. Thought Serrano gassed herself a bit during the big 5th rd. I too believed Katie was done, but she showed heart and recovered. Got her 2nd wind down the stretch and thought she squeaked it out (expected a draw, so DAZN could rematch). While skill level, athleticism and strength are no where near the men’s game, women’s boxing would gain more fans/greater market if the promoters would make fights like this (and not follow the men’s promotional model of trying to build fan interest around individual fighters/personalities). Just my opinion - Anne Wolfe or Layla Ali were the best and most complete women’s boxers I’ve seen. Different era, not much competition and both were rather big (almost 160 if memory serves) for their opponents. Curiously, they never fought (should have - same era). Wolfe today has a reputation as a ferocious trainer for male boxers (generally avoid her because her physical regime is so demanding). Bottom Line - not enough depth or skill in the game to gain my dedicated interest. But to each his own….

I agree - Stevenson/Valdez wasn’t all that competitive. Expected better. I had it 10-2 Stevenson w/ a flash knockdown. Shakur looked great - Unified 130 Champ. Reflexes, strength and hand speed. Sure used the rehydration clause to good effect - looked like a JrWelter in there tonight. Thought he could have tried to close things out down the stretch, but deferred.

Valdez just couldn’t get Stevenson out of the comfort zone. Or change the pocket. Leaning over the knees in the peek-a-boo markedly - thought he might get clipped. Thought Oscar made the right adjustment in the 3rd. He found something by pressing, cutting angle to the body and using the lead right. Then, he went back to distance and let Stevenson dictate. And dominate…. Trying to set traps and time/counter Shakur (with one big LH from distance) was not a good strategy.

Thought Bradley and Andre were right - Valdez needed to fire away and try to walk through Shakur. Shorten distance and keep him in the phone booth. He’d take a beating, but was the only way to put enough leather on Stevenson to make a difference. Obviously, easier said than done and don’t think he ever really tried it - too wary of the consequence.

I thought Valdez would be a good measuring stick for Shakur. Tell us allot how he’ll match up with the top young 135’s. Think he’s maturing nicely into the pro style (thought he would eventually) - sets down more on punches, less back foot, less risk adverse. As you identified, not a real KO puncher and need to see how he handles adversity, but I’d say he’s ready for the jump (no one left at 130). Stacks up favorably with them all. Hope Bob matches him aggressively - Kambosos/Haney winner would be nice by end of year. Maybe Keyshawn Davis from the undercard (same promoter, amateur pedigree). Loma if he’s able/available after. Then cross-promotional with Tank Davis. Guess I can dream….

Bivol with a clear victory over Canelo. Was really hoping the judges didn't steal it from him. They tried their best as 115-113 wasn't very accurate but glad to see the clear winner get his arm raised.

I watched the DAZN presentation tonight. It was hard to concentrate in the action in the ring with about several gorgeous females wearing dresses that displayed most of their large mammary glands in the second row opposite the main camera. Fortunately, the fighters seemed to concentrate on each other.

In the prelims a huge Chinese dude named Zhang Zhilei faced someone named Scott Alexander who advertised himself as “The One”, which was apparently a reference to the round in which he would be knocked out. Zhang zinged him with a punch right down the pipe to the left side of his face that had Alexander’s eyes rolling upward before he hit the canvas. Zhang’s own nickname is “The Big Bang”. Hey, put him in with Fury!

The best preliminary was a battle between “Wonder Boy” Shakhram Giyasou took on Christian Gomez, who was 22-0 with 20 knockouts. Giyasou used movement and a great jab to dominate the fight, landing an occasional left hook, three times sending Gomez to the floor, (I actually thought it was four, but one was ruled something else). But Gomez was dangerous throughout and rocked Giyasoua few times. But Wonder Boy managed to stay on his feet and that won him the fight.

Montana Love and Gabriel Golla Valenzuela both knocked each other down early and spent the rest of the fight trying to avoid each other’s punches to the boos of the crowd. They were trying to counter-punch each other and that doesn’t work. Love was a bit busier and got the decision.

Canelo Alvarez finally met his match vs. Dimitri Bivol, a taller man with a piston-like jab and the ability to throw quick, accurate combinations. He also had excellent footwork. He shot punches right down the middle that weren’t strong enough to rock Canelo but were able to drive him backwards and in a defensive position. They also reddened his face and produced an exasperated look on Canelo’s face that was probably worth a knockdown, although one never came. Canelo’s plan was to throw right and left hooks and an occasional uppercut and do it with enough power to rock Bivol, which he never did. Bivol’s rate of throwing punches seemed to slacken in the middle of the fight and Canelo was able to drive him back with some big shots. I thought Bivol was going to run out of gas as Caleb Plant did after an initially impressive performance. But Bivol got a second wind and I gave him the last three rounds of the fight to win it, 115-113.

The commentators described a fight that wasn’t as close as all that, marveling at Bivol’s disciplined fight plan and accurate combinations. The punch count also suggested a wider margin of victory: Bivol landed 152 punches to 84 for Canelo. He also threw 710 punches to 495, connecting on 21% to 17%. But the judge’s cards were all the same: 115-113. Anyway, the right guy won.

There’s now talk of a rematch. Camelo would be better off fighting a third fight with GGG or taking on the Charlos. And I still think Bud Crawford is the best fighter in the world right now.

Big upset weekend between the derby and boxing. During at least a dozen conversations with my boxing crowd over the last month, I believed in, touted and put all my bets on Bivol.

I don't remember if Canelo has ever taken that many shots before? He couldn't hurt Bivol, or at least B shook it off well. Canelo's arm punching that he's known for didn't have the same effect it did on previous opponents. He relied on power shots, one at a time. Bivol's punches early on, didn't seem to have pop, but weird enough, they seemed to get harder as the fight went on. Also I don't remember a lot of guys in that division throwing 3 punch combo's the way he does, looked really good. B's team had a great game plan, and he smartly never veered from it. I think about round 7 Canelo didn't know what to do with him, as he seemingly decided to rely on uppercuts, for the "one", which should be a feature not a bug.

I don't think it would be smart for Canelo to rematch. I don't know which way he turns now. Charlo looked terrible in his last fight and is on his own rematch fight next weekend, and I know I've stated before, I'm not at all interested in GGG.

Paraphrasing George Foreman - “This sport is easy if you have a jab…”
And, as the old adage goes (when skill levels are somewhat comparable)- good big men still beat good little men.

I didn’t think the fight was all that close - scored it 9-3 Bivol. If anything, this should convince Alvarez that he‘s too small to consistently beat elite 175 lbers. Like you guys said, go back down to a more natural weight. I cannot think of many successful Light Heavyweight‘s that were only 5 foot 8…..

The boxing media publication and “chattering” class (almost unanimously) picked Canelo to walk Dmitri down like he did Kovalev a few years ago. I didn’t agree - styles were different and comparison was all wrong. I thought Bivol would present Canelo with allot more problems because he is a far more complete boxer/puncher than Kovalev ever was, fewer “miles on the odometer” and didn’t have the stamina and “weak midsection” vulnerabilities that Kovalev has. I thought Bivol could (very well) win this matchup. Didn’t think Canelo’s strength and power would carry to Lt Heavy. Tough to get past Bivol’s jab and the Russian’s combination punching would neutralize Saul’s favorite weapon (the RH). Thought it might play out like the Jacobs fight, but Bivol’s 175 lb natural size, strength and educated hands would prove too big an obstacle for the Mexican superstar.

Eddy Reynoso (Alvarez’s fight strategist and brain trust) hand selects opponents for a reason - sees an advantage that his guy can always exploit. Think he made some bad assumptions this time (and with the Valdez game plan against Shakur last week). Beating on Bivol’s left bicep failed and Canelo seemed gassed (to me) after the 4th. Tried to set traps for the overhand right/uppercut after that but Bivol maintained distance, kept feinting and beat him to the punch with the 1-2 over and LH around the guard. Was getting marked up and worn down. Not severely punished, just outpointed. First time since the Mayweather fight (years ago) that Canelo seemed out of answers….

IMO, no shame here. Canelo dared to be great by going up to 175 and taking on the best (with Beterbiev) available. Came up short. Heck, even Sugar Ray Robinson lost when he jumped to Light Heavy. Don’t need a rematch - fight wasn’t competitive enough. I like Canelo (even though I think he “roid’ed” to move up for GGG 1). He’s active and fights quality opponents. Still undisputed champ at 168. Go back down there (or 165 catchweight or 160). He’s still the market and best (IMO) at those weight categories. Retire GGG in a third fight (I don’t want to see it, but think DAZN will insist on this). Make the other contenders actually fight each other or defeat someone of significance (Benevidez, the Charlo’s, Andrade, etc). Then fight the winner at Super Middle.

Rumors swirling that PBC is marketing Spence for a jump to 160 (as potential opponent for Canelo). I’m skeptical - believe this is a Haymon negotiating tactic with Crawford. Hope that (Spence-Crawford) fight can be made this year. Will be a shame if they don’t. Nobody else left for them to fight.…

I tired keeping track of the Jermell Charlo Brian Castano rematch while also checking in with my Mets, who lost a 4-0 lead only to win it on a home run by the catcher they just called up to replace McCann.

Carlo an Castano had had a hugely competitive fight last year that produced widely varied scoring and a ‘split draw’, (each fighter won one judge’s card and the other was even). That was a great action fight and so was this one. Charlo had prepared for it by getting a defensive expert to help train him, (I didn’t get the name). He exhibited great footwork that prevented him from being trapped against the ropes, good head movement and a great jab to dominate the early rounds. But Castano is indefatigable and possessed of a cranium seemingly made of cement, (which is not a deficit for a boxer). He absorbed numerous punches that would have ended other Charlo fights and kept coming forward. And he could slug, too and he started to narrow the distance between he and Charlo, whose footwork, head movement and jabs slowed down. Halfway through the fight it looked like Castano was taking control. Charlo responded by trying slug it out and both fighters got plenty of whacks in, Charlo planting himself in front of the rope in full hitting position and countering well. But Castano seemed to have the edge in their exchanges.

Then in the 7th, Charlo’s corner got through to him and the footwork and jab returned and he dominated the rest of the fight from the middle of the ring. Still, Castano ate all the leather that came his way and was remarkably unmarked by all the punches that landed, (so was Charlo). The fight seemed obviously headed for a decision. I had Charlo ahead 88-83 after the 9th round. Steve Farhood had it 87-74. The judges had it 89-82, 88-83 and 87-84.

Boxing is a funny business, (funny strange, not funny hilarious). Punches from all angles reign over the faces and body of each competitor. Castano landed 194 of them to Charlo’s 173. But both of them were still there on their feet after each punch landed, ready to respond in kind – until a short left hook by Charlo actually bounced off of Castano’s right glove and moved on to hit him around the nose. Castano stiffened up and collapsed like a demolished building. He was able to get up but staggered backwards. The ref grabbed his hands and looked into his eyes and made the mistake of allowing the fight to continue. Charlo unloaded on the helpless Castano and he went down, ironically against the ropes. The ref then stopped it.

Charlo said after the fight that he didn’t know what his next step would be. Will it be Canelo? GGG? Spence? Somebody else? Stay tuned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom