Bravo, Bobby Knight! Bobby's top 5 teams! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bravo, Bobby Knight! Bobby's top 5 teams!

I can barely stand Mike and Mike during football season, completely skip them afterwards. Like you say, its 99% football, even when College Hoops is extremely popular this time of year, and MLB will be soon.

Oh c'mon now, they've got no shortage of hammy, lame morning show wackiness, with enough swings and misses at comedy to make Adam Dunn blush.

I actually think Golic is a decent studio analyst. Any second of my life that I'm exposed to Greenberg though makes me envious of Helen Keller.

I give Coach Knight credit for having the ba11s to speak his mind. Whether people agree with him or not isn't the point and clearly Kentucky is the most talented team in the Nation. Knight, by intentionally omitting mention of Kentucky is making a powerful statement by way of inference. ESPN is full of noodniks who carefully parse everything they say and spew out an endless stream of platitudes and accolades about how great Kentucky is all the while that program is antithetical to what collegiate basketball should be about. As has been mentioned in this thread, these kids have no intention of getting a college education whatsoever and anyone who thinks that Calapari hasn't broken the rules at every institution he has coached at is completely out of touch with reality. The fact that he hasn't been definitively pinned down for violations isn't in and of itself a vindication of impoprieties.

Clearly there is much wrong with collegiate athletics, recruiting, surrepetitious payments to players etc. and Kentucky isn't alone. But at the same time no other program stands out the way Kentucky does as being emblematic of essentially representing a subsidiary of the NBA in posing as a collegiate team while they are in fact a waiting room for the top NBA draftees. How many one and done's have there been at Syracuse? I can think of 2. Kentucky is on course to average 3 per year. With all of this considered, I applaud the fact that Knight, without so much as uttering a single word, pokes the program square in the eye. While Knight obviously has an axe to grind with Kentucky and Cal that doesn't in my opinion detract from the point that he's entitled to call them out for what they are and voice his opinion by not lending them mention with his voice at all.

Kentucky has more one-and-dones because they recruit better players. If we could get those guys we would, and they'd leave.

Kentucky has more one-and-dones because they recruit better players. If we could get those guys we would, and they'd leave.
Perhaps, or perhaps not but it certainly begs the question, "What concessions do you have to make to get those types of players?"

Disagree, JB has said he does not recruit one and dones. Even going as far as to tell a certain player that if he heard "NBA" one more time he was leaving. Don't believe he would be recruiting NN if Nerlens indicated he was only staying one year. Can't supply proof of this off hand, but it is pretty well known on this board.

[Smithers-Jones said:] Kentucky has more one-and-dones because they recruit better players. If we could get those guys we would, and they'd leave.[/quote]

Let's not pretend that Kentucky's reputation is just from envy. You don't have to operate a D' League to build a successful basketball program. Lots of schools, including SU, recruit kids that have NBA potential. That's not the same as having all of your freshmen starters walz into the NBA year after year.

Time will tell if there's anything more sinister going on at Ky.

Disagree, JB has said he does not recruit one and dones. Even going as far as to tell a certain player that if he heard "NBA" one more time he was leaving. Don't believe he would be recruiting NN if Nerlens indicated he was only staying one year. Can't supply proof of this off hand, but it is pretty well known on this board.

Do you really think JB thinks there is more than like a 10% chance that Noel would come back for a second year? (And 10% is being generous; like if something goes wrong).

If you are recruiting the #1 kid in the country, I think its pretty much assumed he's going to be a one and done. (Harrison Barnes says hi, I know)

Oh c'mon now, they've got no shortage of hammy, lame morning show wackiness, with enough swings and misses at comedy to make Adam Dunn blush.

I actually think Golic is a decent studio analyst. Any second of my life that I'm exposed to Greenberg though makes me envious of Helen Keller.

what?

Do you really think JB thinks there is more than like a 10% chance that Noel would come back for a second year? (And 10% is being generous; like if something goes wrong).

If you are recruiting the #1 kid in the country, I think its pretty much assumed he's going to be a one and done. (Harrison Barnes says hi, I know)

Saved me the trouble (but I see your overall point). On the other hand, JB recruited DC2 and Grant. DC2 may go pro after 1 year, it may take longer. Grant ... who knows. This is typical of his recruiting, 1-2 high caliber/NBA potential players mixed in with some program players ... no resemblance to the D League operation run by Cal at Ky. SU has (and have always had) its share of program kids (KJ, Scoop and Andy Rautins say hi).

Pay Pal's only been there since 09, but you won't see too many "senior-starters" on his teams.

I think while talking to recruits JB talks about the education that is available at SU. Goes on to explain that should a player develop into a sure fire pro prospect that he would be happy to recommend that player to leave if it was in his best interests. He lets the recruit know what SU brings to the table for a student/athlete, in contrast to other head coaches where their whole recruiting pitch centers around what they will do to get that player to the NBA. I think the JB method is the preferred method of more than 90% of D1 coaches, after all, every AD and head coach answers to a chancellor. Most chancellors around the country don't care enough about sports to look the other way when it comes to this subject. Some exceptions, Kentucky, USC, Tennessee, Alabama, Uconn, and a few others. Of course this is all simply my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom