Bring Back the Script | Syracusefan.com

Bring Back the Script

TheCusian

Living Legend
I would love it if the school would bring back the "Syracuse" script for our uni's in honor of Pearl. I know there is some recent blowback with the retro uni's we lost to BC wearing - but man. I think it would be amazing to have the script back.

I would love it if the school would bring back the "Syracuse" script for our uni's in honor of Pearl. I know there is some recent blowback with the retro uni's we lost to BC wearing - but man. I think it would be amazing to have the script back.
The blowback had nothing to so with the script and everything to do with choice of color. Just ugly.

I have a picture in my basement of gmac when they wore home throw backs against maybe ND? Can't find a pic online, but it looked great.

I have a picture in my basement of gmac when they wore home throw backs against maybe ND? Can't find a pic online, but it looked great.

Yes, Big Monday in 2004. I don't know how, but the throwbacks managed to look better than the original versions (maybe because they weren't so small?).

upload_2016-4-21_14-34-54.jpeg

It'd be cool to bring them back for any reason, but maybe cooler to bring them back as a way to honor Pearl (beyond the patch that they'll wear for him).

Might also be nice to somehow incorporate his name into our uniforms more permanently, instead of a patch, like Marquette's done for Al.

Our jerseys thru 1994 were really cool.
1995-2004 Era jerseys were nice.
2005-2007 jerseys were the worst of alltime.
2008-2014 I didn't care for duct tape jerseys.
2015- jerseys I liked the white/orange looks.

I wouldn't mind bringing back the script Syracuse look though. Basically an jersey before 2005 and this season was good.
2005-2014 jerseys haven't been that good IMO. 2005-2007 jerseys just sucked.

OttoMets said:
Yes, Big Monday in 2004. I don't know how, but the throwbacks managed to look better than the original versions (maybe because they weren't so small?). It'd be cool to bring them back for any reason, but maybe cooler to bring them back as a way to honor Pearl (beyond the patch that they'll wear for him). Might also be nice to somehow incorporate his name into our uniforms more permanently, instead of a patch, like Marquette's done for Al.

There also isn't any reason why we can't meet old with new. I don't hate the current unis one bit, but all the schools that wear our design have there own font or design above their number. See MSU's "state" in cursive. No reason why we can't have today's styles with the old script logo.

I hope we have a home game on January 6th next year, even though it's a Friday. Call it Pearl Day (it's his bday) and wear the throwbacks. Have a huge cancer fundraiser during the game. Sell the old script jerseys. Make it an event. Make it a tribute.

Our jerseys thru 1994 were really cool.
1995-2004 Era jerseys were nice.
2005-2007 jerseys were the worst of alltime.
2008-2014 I didn't care for duct tape jerseys.
2015- jerseys I liked the white/orange looks.

I wouldn't mind bringing back the script Syracuse look though. Basically an jersey before 2005 and this season was good.
2005-2014 jerseys haven't been that good IMO. 2005-2007 jerseys just sucked.

The black lettering on the orange jersey is my all time least favorite, those were bad. I really like the uniforms that we have now, I would love to see us put on the throwbacks with the script for a couple games next year in honor of Pearl.

I think they should have a special uniform made, that is the current uniform, but instead of all the subtle images in the background, there is just Pearl on the front and a huge 31 on the back. They can keep it subtle, but less subtle than the current uniforms. Or they can have different images if him all over, and his name.

The black lettering on the orange jersey is my all time least favorite, those were bad.

I agree with your point, those were the worst, but it was dark blue not black.

I love the Syracuse script uniforms. In my formative years of SU fandom, I remember watching Lawrence Moten in those high socks and those uniforms. Poetry in script. How fitting. Bring em back, with some modern tweaks, of course.

001a.jpg

Yes, Big Monday in 2004. I don't know how, but the throwbacks managed to look better than the original versions (maybe because they weren't so small?).

View attachment 61459

It'd be cool to bring them back for any reason, but maybe cooler to bring them back as a way to honor Pearl (beyond the patch that they'll wear for him).

Might also be nice to somehow incorporate his name into our uniforms more permanently, instead of a patch, like Marquette's done for Al.

Those look good...
But we lost that game so we will never see them again :(

Those look good...
But we lost that game so we will never see them again :(

I'm just superstitious enough that I can't complain about that.

But it's our best look of all-time by an enormous margin (the 2004 retro and the 1989-1993 uniforms with the orange on the sides, not the 1984-88 and 1994 ones with the script front but blank sides). Would be great to see something similar again.

unis.jpg

The blowback, in my opinion, was due to SU combining the blue shorts with the orange jerseys. We looked like a bad CYO team. The script was not at all the issue.

View attachment 61565

The blowback, in my opinion, was due to SU combining the blue shorts with the orange jerseys. We looked like a bad CYO team. The script was not at all the issue.
Exactly. The jerseys looked great. The shorts looked great. Together, they looked comically bad.

SUFaninNJ said:

Yeah - that's fine. That was my beef as well. Just wanted to account for anyone that thought the script was the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom