Bronny James | Syracusefan.com

Bronny James

This is terrifying stuff. I can only wonder if this is going to be something relatively treatable through medication or surgery or a Reggie Lewis type thing that actually impacts his ability to play in the future.
I’m no expert here but I’m pretty sure they have things that help athletes with heart issues now - far different than back in the Reggie Lewis, Hank Gathers times.

Is this happening more often or am I just hearing about more of them than in the past?

Is this happening more often or am I just hearing about more of them than in the past?
I think it’s tough to tell, for a few reasons. Studies typically show the ‘very young’ age group as 40 and younger. A 2019 study did show an increase in prevalence of that age bracket, for exactly the reason many of us would guess. Obesity. As the number of grossly overweight young people rises, so do all the issues associated with obesity, including diabetes and cardiovascular. A 2023 study published by OSU didn’t outline any other potential causes.

I hope AEDs become ubiquitous at all sporting levels - and not just for games.

I know they may be too expensive for non-club/travel organizations but the number of folks they'll save (kids, coaches, spectators) is immeasurable.

(Well, it'd obviously be measurable but you get my drift)

Last edited:
I hope AEDs become ubiquitous at all sporting levels - and not just for games.

I know they may be too expensive for non-club/travel organizations but the number of folks they'll save (kids, coaches, spectators) is immeasurable.

(Well, it'd obviously be measurable but you get my drift)
It's not hard to have them at most venues. Most places that hold practices are the same ones that have games. And all schools should have them anyway. Considering the amount of money spent on athletic equipment and facilities, the expense for an AED isn't that much.

It's not hard to have them at most venues. Most places that hold practices are the same ones that have games. And all schools should have them anyway. Considering the amount of money spent on athletic equipment and facilities, the expense for an AED isn't that much.
I agree with your point but not every youth sport is played indoors or at a dedicated sports complex.

All youth soccer, baseball, and lacrosse events are held at one of 2 public parks in my town. These aren’t facilities solely dedicated for sports as they have playgrounds and pavilions used by multiple organizations.

Asking the town to stock an AED on site was a non-starter because they’re not taking on the liability of having one and testing/maintaining it.

They won’t risk being party to a lawsuit from a grieving family (led by an ambulance chaser) who claims the town was negligent for not making the AED more easily accessible to their lost loved one on a field 100-200 yards away. Or god forbid the unit failed (either due to improper use or malfunction).

This is why our boys and girls town lacrosse programs bought their own AEDs to have at every practice/game. Whichever coach has the medkit (ice packs, band aids, spare mouth guards, etc) brings the AED.

Hopefully common sense prevails in the not too distant future and AEDs become more available.

I agree with your point but not every youth sport is played indoors or at a dedicated sports complex.

All youth soccer, baseball, and lacrosse events are held at one of 2 public parks in my town. These aren’t facilities solely dedicated for sports as they have playgrounds and pavilions used by multiple organizations.

Asking the town to stock an AED on site was a non-starter because they’re not taking on the liability of having one and testing/maintaining it.

They won’t risk being party to a lawsuit from a grieving family (led by an ambulance chaser) who claims the town was negligent for not making the AED more easily accessible to their lost loved one on a field 100-200 yards away. Or god forbid the unit failed (either due to improper use or malfunction).

This is why our boys and girls town lacrosse programs bought their own AEDs to have at every practice/game. Whichever coach has the medkit (ice packs, band aids, spare mouth guards, etc) brings the AED.

Hopefully common sense prevails in the not too distant future and AEDs become more available.
That makes sense. I wasn't thinking about youth leagues. Scholastic sports or something similarly formal was what I had in mind.

A good question for the lawyers on here would be how liable a town would be in the situation you describe above. There are good samaritan laws to protect individuals that make an attempt to help someone having a health emergency. I wonder if there is something similar for organizations or municipalities.

My brother in law who never had any heart issues ended up with myocarditis after his bout with Covid. He felt fine, returned to work after testing negative and suffered a severe heart attack. Covid itself, has shown it can have very negative effects on the heart, even if the Covid symptoms were mild. Unfortunately at that point (he got Covid early) he had never even been vaccinated,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom