Bud Hit The Nail On The Head | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bud Hit The Nail On The Head

Well, in this thread it is either rag on Bud or HCSS ... and I actually think Bud has been excoriated more than HCSS in his career. It might be fun to start a thread where everyone could post their favorite article written by Bud - one they actually enjoyed reading. Maybe I'll learn he was once good at what he does.

I really think they just liquor him up and lock him in a closet with a typewriter.

It was an away game. Rudy had a Rudy moment because the game was at home. A stadium full of BC fans could give a crap.
It wasn't for the fans it was for the player. You don't get it.

Quick story RE: walk ons.

Not the same situation, but in the final game of the year against ND where Reyes went nuts, my college roommate - who stuck around Syracuse to get his master's in neuroscience (what an idiot) and also walked on to the football team after having never played - went in for the final 3 offensive snaps.

His parents and grandparents grew up huge Tennessee fans, and traveled to the game. They saw him play in his only college football game.

You think that didn't mean anything to him?
Or to his family

KellySyracuse said:
Oh so if I understand what you're saying it's okay for a group of people to derail every discussion by shoehorning their obsession with firing Shafer and I should be the one to take a break?

What other discussions are occurring? Seriously? There are a couple threads about Dome and campus development. If people want to discuss something else then start a thread.

Go ahead, start a thread about a non-Shafer topic.

rrlbees said:
Problem is the people who want to harp on Shafer even in threads that have nothing to do with him. But every thread turns into it. Plus many times the "discussion" becomes childish.

Where are all these threads that have nothing to do with Shafer that are being ruined? The ones about the Dome, campus development, the playoff, Dabo's captain, Rex Ryan, Rutgers, tailgating?

Most threads discussing Shafer were created to discuss Shafer, his offense or his handling of his QB.

Where are all these threads that have nothing to do with Shafer that are being ruined? The ones about the Dome, campus development, the playoff, Dabo's captain, Rex Ryan?
the dome renovation thread certainly did travel down the fire Shafer path and that was before the game against Louisville. I'm not trying to censor anyone's thoughts, I pick and choose what I want to read here and try to avoid the hostility that has been prevalent for weeks. There are a lot of people that scorch the earth with their posts so I'm not quite sure why you've decided to single out mine.

Scooch said:
Where are all these threads that have nothing to do with Shafer that are being ruined? The ones about the Dome, campus development, the playoff, Dabo's captain, Rex Ryan, Rutgers, tailgating? Most threads discussing Shafer were created to discuss Shafer, his offense or his handling of his QB.

The board is more than 24 hours old. Thank god for those 3 threads.

You could also ask a few other mods like CL, Orange79, X, etc who have spent far too much time deleting inappropriate posts, deleting fire Shafer posts in threads not about him, etc. Even SWC's Upside post got attacked.

rrlbees said:
The board is more than 24 hours old. Thank god for those 3 threads. You could also ask a few other mods like CL, Orange79, X, etc who have spent far too much time deleting inappropriate posts, deleting fire Shafer posts in threads not about him, etc. Even SWC's Upside post got attacked.

Hey, I greatly appreciate the work the mods do. As much as some get tired with Shafer posts, I get tired of posts about posting. That's all.

KellySyracuse said:
the dome renovation thread certainly did travel down the fire Shafer path and that was before the game against Louisville. I'm not trying to censor anyone's thoughts, I pick and choose what I want to read here and try to avoid the hostility that has been prevalent for weeks. There are a lot of people that scorch the earth with their posts so I'm not quite sure why you've decided to single out mine.

Wasn't intending to single you out. Your post just pushed me over the edge, no offense. I thought it bizarre that you seemed to be complaining about threads being derailed by Shafer talk in a thread that was created to discuss an article about Shafer. Didn't understand why you were reading it if the topic exhausted you so much. No biggie, though.

Not at all, but why do people feel the need to bring it into every single thread? Don't you think that anyone who has opened any number of threads over the past 2 months hasn't read how much you want to get rid of Shafer? But by all means, keep beating the drum.
I find this to be an exaggeration. I don't bring firing into everything every thread or close. In threads that deal with coaching yes but I post in a lot of threads and SS isn't part of it.
I mean when you click onto this thread what do you expect to read? Sorry but nothing has been ridiculous in this thread.
You don't like it well that is fine but it doesn't make your opinion any better than the people who disagree with you. Don't read what annoys or frustrates you.
By all mean I will continue as I don't think having an opinion of wanting change is wrong.

I find this to be an exaggeration. I don't bring firing into everything every thread or close. In threads that deal with coaching yes but I post in a lot of threads and SS isn't part of it.
I mean when you click onto this thread what do you expect to read? Sorry but nothing has been ridiculous in this thread.
You don't like it well that is fine but it doesn't make your opinion any better than the people who disagree with you. Don't read what annoys or frustrates you.
By all mean I will continue as I don't think having an opinion of wanting change is wrong.

My point was that Poliquin is an idiot and wrote that article to drive clicks. I find it hilarious that some people are all up in arms because I stated an opinion when there certainly isn't any shortage of that here but I'm told to take a break or don't read threads that frustrate me. Good lord

I can't lie, I'm checking this board waiting for the recruiting BOOM to announce the new coach or at least that Shafer has been removed from his duties. Nice guys finish last in NCAA football, and they punt on 4th and 1 on the opposing 40.

Orange_Ammo said:
I can't lie, I'm checking this board waiting for the recruiting BOOM to announce the new coach or at least that Shafer has been removed from his duties. Nice guys finish last in NCAA football, and they punt on 4th and 1 on the opposing 40.

You might be waiting for some time.

My point was that Poliquin is an idiot and wrote that article to drive clicks. I find it hilarious that some people are all up in arms because I stated an opinion when there certainly isn't any shortage of that here but I'm told to take a break or don't read threads that frustrate me. Good lord
I didn't tell you to take a break. However when somebody wants to attack people for having an opinion they disagree instead of telling them why they are wrong I would say its not helping.
You want people to knock off having opinions you disagree and then say its brought into a lot of threads when I said that is exaggeration.
Your opinion contributes to the thread but just because people have other view points doesn't mean they are wrong.

I don't like the Republicans candidates for President I didn't watch the debate tonight. I am not going to read the thread on the debate because I didn't watch or care about it.

I read this article thinking "wow, Bud is actually on the mark! I'm with this! I agree!" Until this crap...

Last November, Shafer wouldn't put a loyal, walk-on, fifth-year senior lineman — who'd given his soul to the program and yet had never played a down — on the field for a "Rudy" moment in the final seconds of the season finale the Orange was losing 28-7 at Boston College.

Bud...nobody cares about that. Meaningless. It's about winning games at this level, not Rudy moments. And anyway, you have your Rudy moments when you're wrapping up a 9-3 season with a 28-7 win.

Oh so if I understand what you're saying it's okay for a group of people to derail every discussion by shoehorning their obsession with firing Shafer and I should be the one to take a break?

Honestly, at this point, I don't know what else to talk about. I just don't see any positive aspects to talk about and at some point the buck has to stop with the head football coach.

And as you can see from my avatar, I'm one of the most pro Boeheim posters on this message board. I understand how frustrating it is to read negative post after negative posts. I just feel like the situation with our football program is so dire that there's nothing else to talk about.

KellySyracuse said:

The nasty secret about the Internet is that any time anyone writes anything, "driving clicks" is a goal. Also, Santa isn't real.

BlackKnight76 said:
The nasty secret about the Internet is that any time anyone writes anything, "driving clicks" is a goal. Also, Santa isn't real.

Yeah true. Doesn't mean there isn't a line between good worthwhile content and crappy link bait.

Bud is a cheap shot artist when it comes to SU whether or not he has a point here. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day which is way more often than bud.

It's not a big deal, but it does counter a lot of the rhetoric coming from the FB complex about the values of the program. Wouldn't you make sure the kid got a snap in a meaningless game, in which the outcome had been decided?

That's quitter talk! Something something life lesson

I think the stated reason he left him in is idiotic. But I don't think leaving him in is a problem.

Yeah, this is the problem.

Shafer knows way more about football than I do. If he wants to leave his quarterback in or not give Pittsburgh a free touchdown, he probably has a good reason for doing so.

But when he explicitly announces some absurd reasoning for doing those things, he makes it difficult on himself. This further calls into question his decision-making and critical thinking.

They all write articles and columns to drive clicks. That's the business.

The ad hominem thing's not adding anything - maybe Bud is an idiot, but that's not relevant here. It seems to me he's made a salient point (and the idea of this thread is to talk about his point).

Kelly, you're a good poster, but you're swinging the pendulum too far in the other direction on this one.

I read this article thinking "wow, Bud is actually on the mark! I'm with this! I agree!" Until this crap...

Bud...nobody cares about that. Meaningless. It's about winning games at this level, not Rudy moments. And anyway, you have your Rudy moments when you're wrapping up a 9-3 season with a 28-7 win.

Agree that he had no business bringing that in. While that might be a valid concern, it's another topic for another day and his insertion of that into this column seems to be gratuitous piling on. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

This is where people should have real concerns about Poliquin's writing. (That and his wild and colorful language.)

Agree that he had no business bringing that in. While that might be a valid concern, it's another topic for another day and his insertion of that into this column seems to be gratuitous piling on. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

This is where people should have real concerns about Poliquin's writing. (That and his wild and colorful language.)
He clearly has an axe to grind and takes every opportunity to write negative bits on SU Football and Basketball. He takes every opportunity to bash Shafer and not-so-slyly brings in little jabs that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I thought it was a well-written article. The part about the "Rudy-like walkon snub" offered context on some seemingly head-scratching actions undertaken by HCSS. Gratuitous? Probably. But not really off the mark, IMO.
The point about Shafer possibly talking himself out of a job is still valid however, and the article did well to illustrate that.
JMHO