Buddy Boeheim | Syracusefan.com

Buddy Boeheim

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
I know its only 1 game against players buddy "should have" (i put that in quotes because thats the assumption) been playing against if his last name wasnt boeheim.

But lets start with the negatives, because i only see 2.

1. he made 2 bonehead plays in a row - the inbounds pass and guarding the wrong guy on press soon after (he and oshae were playing the same position - 99% sure it was buddy out whack)
2. he isnt as athletic or smooth or quick as andy was - BUT thats frosh buddy vs 5th yr senior andy, who made a miraculous transition in 4 years.

now the positives...

DAYUMMMM - just take away the 3 3's including the halftime dagger. he STILL scores double digits and a coast to coast initiating the contact cut through off the glass 5 footer was just beautiful. I would wager Andy never made a 2 pointer like that in his career.

He really is leaps and bounds ahead of freshman andy.

I rolled my eyes when i saw buddy in the starting lineup. Not so much after the fact. he is going to earn his minutes this season.

DAYUMMMM - just take away the 3 3's including the halftime dagger. he STILL scores double digits and a coast to coast initiating the contact cut through off the glass 5 footer was just beautiful. I would wager Andy never made a 2 pointer like that in his career.

He really is leaps and bounds ahead of freshman andy.

I rolled my eyes when i saw buddy in the starting lineup. Not so much after the fact. he is going to earn his minutes this season.

This. It's exactly what I said when he did it. Can he do that against ACC players? I dunno, don't really care. What matters is that he did it confidently and without hesitation. Great instinct, and my first thought was that we've struggled when we start shooting guards who can't do that. Cooney had a couple plays like that during the Final Four run after not being able to drive for four years and I think Rautins won or tied the Marquette game in his junior year with a similar drive. But that was a very encouraging take. He can develop the rest, but in my opinion you've either got that solid instinct or you don't. I think he's got it.

I know it was an exhibition game against an inferior opponent. That being said, Buddy was damn impressive last night. We all expected him to have a smooth stroke from 3, what impressed me was his ability to shoot off the bounce, go the hole and most of all his on court demeanor. Considering the circumstances he had to have been nervous, but you would have never known it. Even getting the ball up court with Battle he was calm and under control.
The only negative I saw was him being late on a couple of closeouts on the defensive end. I was surprised JB started him and played him so much, it was almost like JB was telling everyone 'I'm going to play who I want when I want like I always do, regardless of what people think.' Good move to get that out of the way.
And we can put the redshirting talk to bed.

Last edited:
Nice debut indeed. Very curious to see him play against better competition. If there was ever a game for him to shine, it would be against St. Rose.

Excited to watch him develop at SU, but I'm more bearish on his prospects of being a significant year 1 contributor. Hope I'm wrong. Love watching the kid shoot.

He can shoot the crap out of the ball. No doubt he's going to earn minutes spreading the floor when Cuse needs some long-range help.

... DAYUMMMM - just take away the 3 3's including the halftime dagger. he STILL scores double digits and a coast to coast initiating the contact cut through off the glass 5 footer was just beautiful. I would wager Andy never made a 2 pointer like that in his career...

I was at the game, and was struck by his court sense, especially the halftime dagger. He seemed to sense exactly how much time was left, pulled up and hit a three just in the nick of time.
Shot.jpg

Last edited:
Buddy B is going to play more than most here thought, especially if he can hold his own at the top of the zone against the ACC. Much more to his game than the stroke.

He reminds me of the type of guards Bennett always seems to have at Virginia.

Why is Andy being used as a comparison? When he first came in, was his athleticism poor? Could be; just don't recall. I do recall being frustrated by that no-look, 90 degree pirouhette 25 footer he didn't start mastering until certain moments in the post-season part of his sophomore year.

I'm hoping Andy stank athletically at first, because he sure improved, if so. A Buddy that can improve his conditioning and strength (and speed) would be crazy good for this team.

blatant nepotism... made me sick.

jk.

I was impressed with his offensive repertoire.

Buddy's left hand dribble toward the foul line was really good use of the ball. We were very stagnant on offense, and a couple times he took it in there, made the defense react, and made a play. Little stuff like that was really significant. He's a really high IQ offensive player.

His lateral quickness at the top of the zone against elite talent may be a liability, but nobody expects him to continue to start. I like that he's comfortable out there, clearly belongs, and will contribute this year. He's already ahead of Washington and Braswell off of last night's performance. That puts him on the fringe of the rotation as the season gets real.

Why is Andy being used as a comparison? When he first came in, was his athleticism poor? Could be; just don't recall. I do recall being frustrated by that no-look, 90 degree pirouhette 25 footer he didn't start mastering until certain moments in the post-season part of his sophomore year.

I'm hoping Andy stank athletically at first, because he sure improved, if so. A Buddy that can improve his conditioning and strength (and speed) would be crazy good for this team.

Andy was physically overpowered at first, but by his sophomore year he was contributing pretty well before he hurt his knee and took that redshirt year. I think Buddy already promises to be as good as sophomore year Andy, who shot 35% from three, played about 20 minutes and averaged about 7 points a game. That's fine for a situational guard, your zone buster. I really think Buddy can do that this year. Maybe closer to 15 minutes once everybody's back, but I see a good contributor who provides something nobody else does on this year's team - a great, natural stroke from deep.

Buddy B is going to play more than most here thought, especially if he can hold his own at the top of the zone against the ACC. Much more to his game than the stroke.

He reminds me of the type of guards Bennett always seems to have at Virginia.

Or one of those Notre Dame kids who always used to come off the bench to hit 5 or 6 threes against the zone!

Do you remember the guy(s) Louisville used to have that came into the game in the second half and shot lights out?
We've got one of those guys now when we need him. :)

It's almost like JB constructed the player he wanted.
Otto, that was too funny!

But okay, guys, what do you think of this? My friend Gary says he has talked to several people who “guarONtee” that Buddy’s play will cause problems with the team. And I had lunch with another friend today who just kept saying, “ But what if the other players are resentful because he’s the coach’s son.” I kept repeating, “But he’s good! He belongs out there! They might resent him if he were a prima donna, but he’s not!” She wasn’t convinced.

I am sure there may be a game or two where there is some kind of perceived father-son favoritism, but gonads and strife with the team? I don’t see it. Do you see it?

Otto, that was too funny!

But okay, guys, what do you think of this? My friend Gary says he has talked to several people who “guarONtee” that Buddy’s play will cause problems with the team. And I had lunch with another friend today who just kept saying, “ But what if the other players are resentful because he’s the coach’s son.” I kept repeating, “But he’s good! He belongs out there! They might resent him if he were a prima donna, but he’s not!” She wasn’t convinced.

I am sure there may be a game or two where there is some kind of perceived father-son favoritism, but gonads and strife with the team? I don’t see it. Do you see it?

he didn't take jimmy because he knew he was a d1 player, but not an acc level player.

but he did take buddy.

he knows talent, and is not a man to put his kids in positions to fail

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom