Burn it all down. This is rock bottom | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Burn it all down. This is rock bottom

We almost won the league our first year though.

I think it’s us, that’s the problem. “Normal” Syracuse teams from 1975-2014 would be fine in the ACC. Every bit as fine as we were in the Big East(which was often tougher).

We went on probation and then our coach got old as dirt. That’s all it is, IMO.
So 0-20 ACC record is in play.

The Benny Praise isn’t because he was really good. It’s just a relative thing. He was much better than he has been. And it was still only against Colgate. Just because Colgate dominated us doesn’t mean they were such an impressive opponent that it makes Benny’s performance something spectacular.

Yes, we are young [Benatar!]. But the composition of the team is still JB’s responsibility. We didn’t portal. Our youth can’t be an excuse for suckage when the coach is the one who determined we didn’t need to portal.

This is a perfect illustration of diminished expectations over a long span of time. The Pollyannas are either looking at one game and saying it was a problem of matchups or youth... or they’re looking at 45 years and saying we are nothing without JB. Neither perspective reflects the truth of what is actually happening to us, nor do they represent a way for us to be anything more than what we are seeing now. Those fans will still be finding ways to make themselves feel better when the trend continues further downward and we are winless in the conference.

I’ve always said JB was not a great coach but has had a great career. And many people can’t reconcile that difference. We are seeing here that he isn’t doing anything different. The difference is that we always used to have more talent than our opponents. And we won because of that. That hasn’t been true for a while, and we have become exposed. The system was an inconsistent component of some of the success and a liability at other times. When we don’t have superior talent, that same system is a consistent liability. We are not likely to recover without great talent and great talent is unlikely to want to play for a lame duck, lazy coach that isn’t enjoying current success. We are going to have to hope that Weitzman can buy us a few impactful players to rejuvenate our image and jumpstart the dying legacy.

History is nice, but it is far more short lived in the minds of outsiders. National relevance isn’t something we can take for granted just because we have had it for a few decades. The fact that we have a Dome—which looks spectacular in the exterior shots—makes it easier for us to recover and become relevant again, but JB isn’t going to be presiding when/if that happens.
This!! 100 percent agree on the fourth paragraph. More ppl need to read and reread this post.

Dome crowds looking sparse. Hope we don’t get to Maryland level. They used to have packed, raucous crowds.

I saw a little of Gonzaga at Texas last night. UT moved out of the Irwin Center and their new arena is quite the atmosphere and loud I thought. Its gonna be hard to ever fill the dome if we keep trending in the direction were going.

Its funny going into this Colgate game I was excited about watching the game.. I knew it would be a tough, Thier a good team and thats a credit to them, not to Cuse being bad. Theres just a perception that Colgate cant be good.. I'm curious what teams in the ACC would cause you as much concern playing them this year as Colgate? For me I would say id feel better playing all these team in the ACC rather than Colgate:

BC
GaTech
FSU
Louisville
Clemson
Pitt

Close:
NC state
Wake
Miami

Its funny going into this Colgate game I was excited about watching the game.. I knew it would be a tough, Thier a good team and thats a credit to them, not to Cuse being bad. Theres just a perception that Colgate cant be good.. I'm curious what teams in the ACC would cause you as much concern playing them this year as Colgate? For me I would say id feel better playing all these team in the ACC rather than Colgate:

BC
GaTech
FSU
Louisville
Clemson
Pitt

Close:
NC state
Wake
Miami

Colgate lost to Buffalo, who lost their next 2 games to James Madison by 35 and Uconn by 20.

Per usual, on this board, when we lose, the other team isn’t necessarily good. They are better than us, though

Colgate lost to Buffalo, who lost their next 2 games to James Madison by 35 and Uconn by 20.

Per usual, on this board, when we lose, the other team isn’t necessarily good. They are better than us, though
Colgate hugs nutz. We just huge bigger nutz. They would go under 500 in the ACC.

JB drove this team into the ditch years ago. It’s obvious we can’t start to get back on the road until he is gone.

Time to go nuclear.

Colgate hugs nutz. We just huge bigger nutz. They would go under 500 in the ACC.

JB drove this team into the ditch years ago. It’s obvious we can’t start to get back on the road until he is gone.

Time to go nuclear.

Yeah...it's not really about crapping on Colgate.

They are a good-great Patriot League team.

The Patriot League is a low major, not a mid major. If our program were healthy, we should beat the best Patriot League team every year. Without question. As should the majority of semi decent P5 programs.

Yes, there will be the outlier every 20 years when Lehigh has CJ McCollum.

This is not that year.

Exactly. Let's see what Auburn does to Colgate

bots gonna bot
We are not an ACC flagship school. If a recruit wants the ACC, a flagship ACC school is more attractive. When a player wants the Big East they chose the Big East flagship schools. You are the bot since you provide no logic to your assertion.

We are not an ACC flagship school. If a recruit wants the ACC, a flagship ACC school is more attractive. When a player wants the Big East they chose the Big East flagship schools. You are the bot since you provide no logic to your assertion.
I've provided it plenty of times. You keep ignoring me and others while failing to admit JB is not the same coach. Even 3 years into the ACC we signed Richardson and Lydon. The basketball program has more resources than just about any school outside the blue bloods.

Our biggest issue is letting mostly local NE targets leave to go play for midwest schools that don't play anywhere in the Northeast. The coaching has failed. I guarantee if we hired Pitino now(we won't) he will have us winning 25 games in a year and a FF within 3. None of this is on conference affiliation.

Last edited:
Is it just ignorance at this point as to why Jim can't adjust mid-game and go away from the 2-3 zone? Like I am baffled still on what I watched on Tuesday night. A few of those 3's that Richardson made were contested and you will let him shoot those all day. Other than him, NONE of those other guys are creating their own shot or running full speed and doing JJ Redick fade away 3 point shots. The 2-3 was obviously broken and we're letting good spot shooters have wide open 3's. Why wouldn't he just go to man? I just don't understand how he can't see that the game has caught up and the zone isn't that daunting anymore...and that's even worse when the team has no idea where they should be or what their assignment is.

Is it just ignorance at this point as to why Jim can't adjust mid-game and go away from the 2-3 zone? Like I am baffled still on what I watched on Tuesday night. A few of those 3's that Richardson made were contested and you will let him shoot those all day. Other than him, NONE of those other guys are creating their own shot or running full speed and doing JJ Redick fade away 3 point shots. The 2-3 was obviously broken and we're letting good spot shooters have wide open 3's. Why wouldn't he just go to man? I just don't understand how he can't see that the game has caught up and the zone isn't that daunting anymore...and that's even worse when the team has no idea where they should be or what their assignment is.
Not ignorance. Jim knows.

I've provided it plenty of times. You keep ignoring me and others while failing to admit JB is not the same coach. Even 3 years into the ACC we signed Richardson and Lydon. The basketball program has more resources than just about any school outside the blue bloods.

Our biggest issue is letting mostly local NE targets leave to go play for midwest schools that don't play anywhere in the Northeast. The coaching has failed. I guarantee if we hired Pitino now(we won't) he will have us winning 25 games in a year and a FF within 3. None of this is on conference affiliation.
Fact is that our recruiting was fine before Hop and it was fine until the ACC. If we hired Pitino We would be on probation and I would not be a fan. He recruits by cheating. You OK with that?

Fact is that our recruiting was fine before Hop and it was fine until the ACC. If we hired Pitino We would be on probation and I would not be a fan. He recruits by cheating. You OK with that?
Hop left in 2017. we were in the ACC 4 seasons before he left. He was largely responsible for bringing all key players for the 2016 team in.

Last I checked paying players is legal now.

And we don’t have to limit it to Pitino. We could find other coaches who could do a better job than JB right now. At best JB is a C minus coach right now.

He couldn’t even get the team to play hard the other night, but yes playing hard is on conference affiliation smh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom