Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

Wonder if Fran Brown could talk him into lining up on FG attempts and get a few blocks?
Red ain’t going for that, but a 6’11” guy in the middle with a big paw up would surely block a couple.

IMG_5584.jpeg

He was also the best defender ever
There were games where fab would completely eliminate any paint game teams had. He alone allowed the zone to spread out and gamble on steals and rotations simply because no one would challenge him. Insane how good his instincts were for a guy who played limited organized ball before college

Anyone think the landing of a true center means the potential of Malik returning goes up? Is it possible he's one of the two pending "additions" we'll all be happy with that some speak of here? No info, just asking.

I do think the comparison to Burns is apt. He even imporved his output in the tournament the way Burns did.

NC St plays a shot blocker next to Burns who doesn't score much. We will have Freeman, who I don't think you can count on defensively because most freshmen take a while to adjust defensively. McLeod will help here, but Freeman is going to have to sit sometimes and Lampkin and McLeod can't play together.

Ideally we will bring in another power forward who can defend at a high level and block some shots. But it's going to be hard to recruit a back up to a McDonald's all American.

How Red solves this problem will determine how much I, personally, like our roster construction at the C and PF position.

Forget about who we lost. If we have Lampkin, McLeod, Freeman, and a vet PF who can give us some decent minutes I'm feeling pretty good about it.
Both Bell and Freeman are guys who can get a weaker block. Bell is a pretty good shotblocker for a small forward.

The two of them will get their chances, since Lampkin is very strong.

I'm still watching video, but I like what I'm seeing.

For once in my lifetime, we will have the biggest guy on the court most games. That will be a refreshing change. When McLeod comes in, will have the tallest guy on the court.

I think they can be a very good combination at center with Patterson as the trunk monkey/ mop up guy.

McLeod and Lampkin are both big enough where they won't get pushed around like Brown did.

It stinks Brown took one for the team last season and then left, but Lampkin is a decent start at replacing his contributions.

His skill set is good - he just needs to lower his turnover rate. From the conditioning standpoint, he will need to work on his stamina/cardio and drop about 10 pounds.
Lampkin is a pretty good passer. On one tape I just watched, a cutter went to the basket, Lampkin gave him a sweet bounce pass right to his hands, and the cutter never even saw it... Lampkin gets that TO, but it was 100% on the cutter.

Several of his highlights included getting the ball after setting the screen on the pick and roll and making bounce passes to the original ball handler for layups.

He might be the kind of turnover machine Copeland was, trying to do too much.

Last edited:
Lampkin is a pretty good passer. On one tape I just watched, a cutter went to the basket, Lampkin have him a sweet bounce pass right to his hands, and the cutter never even saw it... Lampkin gets that TO, but it was 100% on the cutter.

Several of his highlights included getting the ball after setting the screen on the pick and roll and making bounce passes to the original ball handler for layups.

He might be the kind of turnover machine Copeland was, trying to do too much.
That’s where most of his turnovers come from and him dribbling too much. I read about his high turnover rate here and did my own investigation, all expenses paid by me.

That’s where most of his turnovers come from and him dribbling too much. I read about his high turnover rate here and did my own investigation, all expenses paid by me.
I think if we can pair him with a PG skilled at running the pick and roll, that will really help Lampkin be a more effective player. Looks like he will be good at setting an initial screen and I think he will be very good rolling, catching and finishing.

I suspect Freeman will be the beneficiary of most of his assists. Looks like when he gets doubled down low he is skilled at finding the PF left open down low.

Good add at a position of need.

Depth Chart Currently
C - Lampkin, MacLeod, Patterson
F - Freeman, Bell, Westry
G - Starling, Moore, Cuffe

Need another guard obviously, but also could use a forward too. Not sold Bell is ready to be a consistent guy and Westry has health issues. Plus Freeman is a freshman.

Really want the kid from Harvard. Reynolds I don’t think is going to happen. No inside knowledge, but would have thought it would have happened at this point.

Have room for 4 more. Can really convert this roster into a much better composition quickly.
JB says that depth chart has two players too many already.

And you want more guys?

Westry is the wild card in all this. If he's even remotely healthy then look out. I know its a big IF but he's legit. Let's hope we get to see his potential in a cuse uniform.
Westry looked good/healthy enough in practice to scare Copeland out of the program.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I haven't watched a full game yet, just enjoying easy highlight packages. Going to watch Florida-Colorado in a minute.

Might as well shake some of the Maliq Brown depression off by watching "New Guy's" best game of the season. ;)

Patterson, McLeod and Lumpkin... no sisters of the poor there.
The spotlight is on Griff(if he's still the BIG MAN coach).
Get these guys strong, in good cardio condition...everybody can/must play 6 minutes
at a high effort pace...have at least one on the block post up move.
BROWN played his tail off...giving up 2-3 inches and 25 lbs every night.
......NO MORE WEAK LINK!.........
.....NO MORE EXCUSES!.......

My thoughts after watching a little more:

Lampkin really likes putting a body on guys. He sets hard picks, he boxes out with passion.

He's a good passer, finding the open man out of doubles effectively. He is really good at passing to the cutter going to the basket.

Lampkin is a pretty good on the ball defender. He isn't getting pushed around in the post, obviously. He's not much of a help defender. He's just a little slow getting there a lot of the time, and a non existent shotblocker. He doesn't even "get big" well like you expect from a huge guy like him.

I suspect he has short arms, which doesn't help, but on some plays it looked like he was more worried about foul trouble than preventing the basket.

He doesn't play transition defense much. There were several Florida baskets in secondary transition where Lampkin never made it into the screen.

For a big guy, Lampkin is quite nimble with the ball. He is a decisive and reliable finisher. I'm surprised he had only a 58% field-goal percentage. He does have his fair share of layups roll out because he doesn't dunk Everything in sight. Maybe that's it. He attempted zero threes, and I never saw him attempt any shot from outside the paint (or really about 6 feet).

Just in case you don't read the recruiting board, we picked up a big man in 6'11" 275lb Eddie Lampkin, from Colorado.

His recruiting thread is here:

Here is a condensed game video of his terrific NCAA tournament game against Florida.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom