Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

In my younger years I’d be up all night sweating over this….i won’t be anymore, it’s upsetting it sucks, I may think about it from time to time, but also even with NIL you want someone that truly wants to be here. Money talks I get it but if they are only half invested in being here thanks but no thanks. I still want this to work out absolutely as we all do, but I’m sure Red will figure this out.

And also, anyone on here that is pissed off if any of us were offered 250k more or 400k whatever the amount is 9/10 would take that. Most of us would I won’t even kid myself about whether or not I would even if I hated living somewhere else.

Also to defend RED a minute….he had no idea this would happen. This is just bad luck, not his fault. I see what he is building with recruiting and we have some good pieces next year. We lost two backup centers and a guy that didn’t want to play center. I’m sure someone good will want to play here for the amount of money we are willing to pay. Do I get frustrated and pissed about our NIL strategy this offseason yes I have at times but he’s targeting players that would make us a better team. What else can we ask for?

Also I’d like to defend JW a minute here. Not only has he had to navigate through realignments possibilities, but also NIL… I think he’s done a terrific job here. Syracuse has a brighter future, with Micron there you’ll only have more donors. Let’s see how this plays out. We have had a lot of luck with foreign players. Elvir Ovcina, Marek!

You can’t just pick out one thing with Lampkin. It’s his entire game that works for Red. His post game, rebounding, toughness, leadership, experience and his ability to pass and make his teammates better. His enthusiasm is infectious. It’s the whole package that makes him a great fit. You don’t find this with all bigs. Red understands that we can’t lose this kid.
Hopefully his enthusiasm for money isn’t infectious with the other players on the team.

Yeah they’re a similarly sized private school but apparently have billionaires on top of billionaires supporting them because of Texas oil money. I can’t wait til Micron gets up and running in central New York.
Micron isnt bringing billionaires to the area. It likely isn’t even bringing more than a few barely disposable income heavy level millionaires.

In my younger years I’d be up all night sweating over this….i won’t be anymore, it’s upsetting it sucks, I may think about it from time to time, but also even with NIL you want someone that truly wants to be here. Money talks I get it but if they are only half invested in being here thanks but no thanks. I still want this to work out absolutely as we all do, but I’m sure Red will figure this out.

And also, anyone on here that is pissed off if any of us were offered 250k more or 400k whatever the amount is 9/10 would take that. Most of us would I won’t even kid myself about whether or not I would even if I hated living somewhere else.

Also to defend RED a minute….he had no idea this would happen. This is just bad luck, not his fault. I see what he is building with recruiting and we have some good pieces next year. We lost two backup centers and a guy that didn’t want to play center. I’m sure someone good will want to play here for the amount of money we are willing to pay. Do I get frustrated and pissed about our NIL strategy this offseason yes I have at times but he’s targeting players that would make us a better team. What else can we ask for?

Also I’d like to defend JW a minute here. Not only has he had to navigate through realignments possibilities, but also NIL… I think he’s done a terrific job here. Syracuse has a brighter future, with Micron there you’ll only have more donors. Let’s see how this plays out. We have had a lot of luck with foreign players. Elvir Ovcina, Marek!
Same boat as you dude. Not losing any sleep. It's May 12th. Autry got us 20 wins last year, it's quite simple he needs to win more next year and if he doesn't and then doesn't again then he'll be gone anyway. Brutal for Autry because the next guy coming in that will be external will likely be dealing with a more regulated NIL environment and prob won't have to deal with this crap.

If Carey wasn't injury prone, he'd be looking pretty good right about now.
Wrestling Laughing GIF by Howdy Price

The other issue with portal guys like Lampkin is that you don’t have a 3-4 year relationship. It’s an auction. So there’s no sense of loyalty.
And yet we have people advocating for going all chips in on the portal and not really recruiting from the high school ranks.

Are you just making crap up?
Have you seen him play? He does a lot of little things that not all bigs do. He is a great shooter and a leaper, no, but he adds a lot to your team. Have you heard the coaches talk about him or are you just trying to be an a- -?

dasher does this mean he’s for sure back or weighing his options with a & m? And do you think we’re doing with big name portal guys if he comes back since we’d raised our offer?
I had to LOL at this…

Lampkin committed to SU over a month ago and has been incredibly pro-Cuse ever since. Up until yesterday, that is. In this new version of college basketball, how can anyone know for sure what is going with some player??

The other issue with portal guys like Lampkin is that you don’t have a 3-4 year relationship. It’s an auction. So there’s no sense of loyalty.
And even with 3-4 years of a relationship… C.R.E.A.M…

He took more money. We would all do it. How about we stop acting like everything is fine and start solving the problems. We didn’t play the game with Jesse and sunk a season. We didn’t play the game here and likely sunk another.
but he SIGNED with the Orange

there has to be a way to make signatures mean something...

It isn't family. It is Money. He got offered a lot more money at a Texas school.
Oh, I guess I misunderstood your initial comment. My fault. Thanks for clarifying.

We are already at a big disadvantage because of our morals. If we tell a kid you are getting X, that kid gets X. That doesn't happen at a lot of other schools.
thats an advantage

just need to market that better

And yet we have people advocating for going all chips in on the portal and not really recruiting from the high school ranks.
You absolutely have to do both very well. A couple high school big time recruits mixed in with a couple prioritized returning players and then nailing it in the portal. We are currently not doing the latter ( even if we pay up for Eddie).

cuse!

Don’t want to lend a negative vibe but I agree with SWC75

if any portal player changes his mind after agreeing to play for a team, you have to question their character and do you want that person to play on your team.

Do understand the reasoning about wanting to go to the higher bidder but not if you already agree to play for a first team.

Syracuse ran into the same scenario a year with Jesse “I can’t play unless my dad says you pay me the most money” Edwards. He missed a good part of the WVU’s season.

Is there any difference in playing a player “NIL“ money and paying a prostitute? In this scenario, you still get F__ked (excuse my language. I’m just pissed about the NIL) but dont get the pleasure from it.

Really hope Lampkin comes back. We’re probably screwed without him. 100% need him at this point.

With that said, screw him though. He’s basically extorting us for the rest of our NIL money. Unless the extra 250 is on top of the current budget (and hopefully not taken from next year’s budget), I doubt we get a high caliber PG. The team will be worse due to what he’s doing. Now I understand this is the way of things now and it’s all about money, but that doesn’t mean we should give them a character pass. When I shake a person’s hand and make a deal, I follow through no matter what. And that’s coming from a guy who litigates contracts for a living. Not what I tell clients to do, but personally I do all sorts of things on a handshake and never go back on my word. And I’m 35 - this type of honesty and reliability shouldn’t be a generational thing. It’s a failure of these guys’ parents and advisors. Anyways, pay him what he wants. No choice - It’s mid May.

Don’t want to lend a negative vibe but I agree with SWC75

if any portal player changes his mind after agreeing to play for a team, you have to question their character and do you want that person to play on your team.

Do understand the reasoning about wanting to go to the higher bidder but not if you already agree to play for a first team.

Syracuse ran into the same scenario a year with Jesse “I can’t play unless my dad says you pay me the most money” Edwards. He missed a good part of the WVU’s season.

Is there any difference in playing a player “NIL“ money and paying a prostitute? In this scenario, you still get F__ked (excuse my language. I’m just pissed about the NIL) but dont get the pleasure from it.
Question: I know the kid can leave prior to starting classes but why can't the group providing the NIL enter into a contract that includes severe financial penalties for a breach of obligations.
I would make any NIL individual sign. I would pay them lets say 10k upon signing. I would then lay out their obligations. Appearances and assign dates to it. Make the obligations in person and make the dates throughout the entire period of the NIL term.
In the event a person/player wants to terminate their obligation make the termination fee 50% of the NILs payment to the individual.
Done. Problem fixed.