Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

that bridge is burned...i wouldnot want a player back who pulls this
No one does but in the short term right now it might just be suck it up this one time. He has a huge amount of leverage.

The staff have been locked in rooms looking for guards and forwards. Going back in search of a center is not ideal to say the least

I don't agree. It's a two-way street. Everyone says that kids are promised an amount but that it doesn't always materialize. This would obviously be a two-way agreement and would obligate the NIL to pay even in the event of injury. These deals need to be and I'm sure are in writing. It's not a negative. Last point if the kid doesn't sign what does that tell you.
I’m telling you Texas A&M and Duke will just say why go through lawyers and contracts at Syracuse when we can just cut through all that red tape and hand you the bag now then worry about what it’s later.

Without legislation there is no way in hell some of the schools will play by the rules on how you think it should work. Did you not notice that the ncaa lost every lawsuit in the last year with player and portal lawsuits. Every single one the judges ruled with the player and school trying to get exemptions. NCAA-0 wins so now they said have fun it’s Thunderdome.

Listen, I hate all this and this is what college sports has become. But on the flip side, even though I hate this and it ruins my love of sports. If I sign to start at a job and another job opportunity jumps in and says they’ll pay me 50% more. I’m taking the $. As most of you would do. This idea that “kids these days” and all that crap, this stuff has been going on in the business world forever. Now we don’t like it because it impacts something we do for fun. And I get that. I feel the same way. But projecting that anger on the kids, as if 2 decades ago+ some concept of loyalty existed beyond just outlier examples, in the real world. Is a Pollyanna view of how the world worked for most people.
I totally understand and in some part feel this way, but committing to a team and having it built around you, having them not recruit another person in your critical position while others are available, having the rest of players screwed if you leave, potentially having a new coach fired if they can’t win because of the roster hole - this is way different from reneging a job offer to deliver for Amazon because Fedex offered you more money. Those companies will be fine without you and workers are a dime a dozen to them. It’s more like planning to open a business with a partner and when he quits his old job and invests his money in the startup you say never mind I found a better job. It happens, but that person will be viewed negatively. Lampkin deserves the shade.

Exactly. And the coaches that leave at a drop of a hat are the pictures of ethics. I don't understand why the players are held to a different standard than the coaches. It's a business people chase money. Last week people weren't even sold on Lampkin being good, now he's the second coming of Bob Lanier

More like Wes Unseld, amirite?!

Note:
Fkc' it.
Moving forward, imma have fun with this. No sense stressing about things outta my control.
A part of me needs to come to terms with the facts: "This is strictly business, nothing personal"...then adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Have you seen him play? He does a lot of little things that not all bigs do. He is a great shooter and a leaper, no, but he adds a lot to your team. Have you heard the coaches talk about him or are you just trying to be an a- -?
Are you just being an ass? There is enough data on the dude I really don't care what the staff thinks. You don't build around players like that and expect positive results. I hope we get him now because we need him, but its hilarious that you describe him like Jokic.

The other issue with portal guys like Lampkin is that you don’t have a 3-4 year relationship. It’s an auction. So there’s no sense of loyalty.
Yeah as I have mentioned ad nauseum…it’s all about relationships, opportunity and $$$. Brands are dead.

Watch Frans second offseason….it will be wild

Isn't McLeod going to be able to play this year? I thought he was supposed to be a get last year.

Yeah as I have mentioned ad nauseum…it’s all about relationships, opportunity and $$$. Brands are dead.

Watch Frans second offseason….it will be wild
In a good way?

Question: I know the kid can leave prior to starting classes but why can't the group providing the NIL enter into a contract that includes severe financial penalties for a breach of obligations.
I would make any NIL individual sign. I would pay them lets say 10k upon signing. I would then lay out their obligations. Appearances and assign dates to it. Make the obligations in person and make the dates throughout the entire period of the NIL term.
In the event a person/player wants to terminate their obligation make the termination fee 50% of the NILs payment to the individual.
Done. Problem fixed.
Some contract attorneys can weigh in, but generally the penalty for non-performance is simply non-payment. You’re adding punitive damages or liquidated damages, ( What Are Liquidated Damages in Construction? | InEight), when it is unclear whether there would be any monetary damages ( to the NIL provider) at all.

I totally understand and in some part feel this way, but committing to a team and having it built around you, having them not recruit another person in your critical position while others are available, having the rest of players screwed if you leave, potentially having a new coach fired if they can’t win because of the roster hole - this is way different from reneging a job offer to deliver for Amazon because Fedex offered you more money. Those companies will be fine without you and workers are a dime a dozen to them. It’s more like planning to open a business with a partner and when he quits his old job and invests his money in the startup you say never mind I found a better job. It happens, but that person will be viewed negatively. Lampkin deserves the shade.

I completely understand all of that too and don’t disagree. My post was largely about the larger idea that “all these kids these days” and not what Lampkin may be doing and the context of that. I completely agree he deserves crap people throw at him because his impact on a lot of other things and people.

Let’s wait till the story is actually known. It keeps changing. Last I heard he was in Texas to attend a friend’s graduation from TCU. The Schools who offered has changed from TCU to SMU to A&M? I guess his instagram account had deletions but then it was reported he wrote “love orange”. Then that a donor was stepping up etc. Let’s wait before criticizing the player, Red etc till we really know what’s even going on. We can really dislike this new college portal, NIL free for all but remember everyone - players, coaching staff and fans are all trying to adjust, to make sense of things that make no sense too.

In a good way?
Id venture a guess that'll depend on whose ox is being gored.
If we have a very good year, yes- we will attract more free agents. Otoh, we'll also likely lose players who made us as good as we were the year before.
The only redeeming quality is that Fran is a master at the recruiting and/or portal game. He knows how these things "work" and can maneuver around the obstacles, real or imagined. Could you see Shafer or Dino trying to recruit and run a program around NIL?
We're about to find out just how good Red will be. It's totally unfair, that's true- and of course money is the final factor. But that's why Clemson, FSU, et al, are all looking for greener pastures. In this brave new fckd up world, it's all about the bag in order to compete

But isn’t the issue that NIL contracts don’t start until they are enrolled in the school?

Same concept as when you have a verbal offer and waiting to start a new job but then you get another higher paying job offer.
Nil isn’t a contract with the school and probably contingent upon the player actually being on the team.

the player never shows, there wasn’t a breach of the nil contract

A deeper issue in the situations with Jesse last year and now Lampkin, is that it shows other programs, agents, that commitments to SU aren't solid, and the roster is available for poaching at the right price, which we are less capable of matching.

The wolves will circle over & over again until it's proven this program can play ball at an elite level both on the court and financially.

Are you just being an ass? There is enough data on the dude I really don't care what the staff thinks. You don't build around players like that and expect positive results. I hope we get him now because we need him, but its hilarious that you describe him like Jokic.

The staff will always publicly support their recruits.

Lampkin is an ok offensive player.

He is not a guy that is making us a threat for anything.

Any big that had a 16.4 PER last year isn’t some offensive juggernaut and his D isn’t great.

I like Lampkin (insert “I love lamp” joke), and I want him to stay, but we weren’t ACC title contenders with him.