Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

I don’t even understand this. Wild good or wild bad
Wild both. He’s going to have a lot of big name guys that will want to get paid and play. He is going to have to be a heckuva GM

So this guy is doing pretty much what Jesse's dad did. Wonder if Lampkin will get any of that heat.
Depends if he gives a jacka** interview about it after the fact.

Taking a look at a situation based on evidence and projecting the most likely outcome isn’t taking a victory lap.

Thinking Eddie Lampkin is some kind of Jokic-lite is magical thinking.

And what it does is cover the ongoing inability of the program to compete at the levels we used to. To be fair, college sports are a dem of mayhem now.

If we win tons of games next year and dominate, everyone can give me my comeuppance. Happy to eat that crow.

But what are we doing here? We’re freaking out upon potentially losing Eddie Lampkin. That says it all about where we are and what we’re staring at in terms of success.

It sucks. Hope Red gets us out of the muck. But this isn’t me doing any victory lap, it’s not playing make believe.
Give me a break he’s a proven thing 5th year guy and brings skills/strengths we have nothing at. Even with Freeman and Moore we’re losing more than we bring in. And it’s too late to target another big. We also threw away last season not paying Jesse.

This is a disaster. The PG misses and being OK with Carlos was one thing. No way to sugarcoat this one.

Have you seen him play? He does a lot of little things that not all bigs do. He is a great shooter and a leaper, no, but he adds a lot to your team. Have you heard the coaches talk about him or are you just trying to be an a- -?
And possibly the worst def center in the nation

Where you see this? Did Eddie say this?. Just all these crazy people on here.
No one, but from now on when someone "signed" or "committed" on IG I will interpret it as "Tentatively committed" or "somewhat committed" or even "door half closed but give me a call and make me uncommit".

I mean this with all due respect, your point and my point don’t change that we weren’t conference title contenders with him.

We have to take a positive step.. then another and so on. NIL has to level up but Red has to prove his chops too. Last year was a mess but we won 20 games. We need a team that’s bought in, a philosophy and some talent to put out there. That’s what we will have with Lampkin in the fold. The rest is up to Red to make hay with it and give everyone a reason to pump more money in.

The level of talent we had in our glory days would be top 5 in the portal era. Those kind of teams are much harder to put together for anyone. The curve on the grade has changed. So that means coaches have to prove they can get it done with what their NIL can afford.

I think we’ve worn out the dead in the water point of view to the point it’s become the only acceptable point of view to some. I’m not optimistic but keeping hope we can make something happen and Red proves he’s got the chops.

Serious for a second, do you think these commit-uncommit stunts are somewhat exclusive for 5th or last year guys where this is their last chance to get a NIL bag because once they pull this stunt everyone knows and won't take them seriously on the next go around. If you are a sophomore you may think twice doing this because coaches may not take you seriously again.

I don't know if EL or Jesse which is worse. On one hand EL was never an orange so there isn't any long history of emotional investment like Jesse did. But Jesse did get his degree and both kind of doing this last minute so a pivot is difficult.

We need a team that’s bought in, a philosophy and some talent to put out there. That’s what we will have with Lampkin in the fold.
This isn’t directed at you personally, just the general theme of some posts I’ve seen.

We saw a decent number of posts suggest they didn’t want Kadary because he wouldn’t “buy in”, etc

how the hell do the same posters that made those type of comments suggest that we have to keep Lampkin. What he’s doing right now is the literal definition of not buying in. He’s a hired gun.

I agree we need him for the talent aspect and the skills he has, but the “buy in” portion is complete nonsense.

This isn’t directed at you personally, just the general theme of some posts I’ve seen.

We saw a decent number of posts suggest they didn’t want Kadary because he wouldn’t “buy in”, etc

how the hell do the same posters that made those type of comments suggest that we have to keep Lampkin. What he’s doing right now is the literal definition of not buying in. He’s a hired gun.

I agree we need him for the talent aspect and the skills he has, but the “buy in” portion is complete nonsense.

So maybe it’s the wrong term but a guy who once he is on campus he’s willing to be a good teammate and play hard for Jersey he puts on. All the NIL stuff to me falls outside of that. It’s a business now.

Once he is on campus as a 5th year he should be what we need and a guy who does what is asked of him and then some.

Serious for a second, do you think these commit-uncommit stunts are somewhat exclusive for 5th or last year guys where this is their last chance to get a NIL bag because once they pull this stunt everyone knows and won't take them seriously on the next go around. If you are a sophomore you may think twice doing this because coaches may not take you seriously again.

I don't know if EL or Jesse which is worse. On one hand EL was never an orange so there isn't any long history of emotional investment like Jesse did. But Jesse did get his degree and both kind of doing this last minute so a pivot is difficult.
To a point I think it hurts their reputation but just look how desperate teams are right now. I doubt it would impact their choice of targeting a player

I was thinking along the lines you are. One last chance t get the money to buy a nice house and car. If I were 21and had those choices I would do my best to maximize my income.

At this point I'd rather be a Div 3 school. College sports isn't about the absolute best of the best athletes anyway... that's the NBa, NFL etc. It was could our student athletes defeat the student athletes from their peer group. These are just minor league professionals with no actual association with the school on the uniform. It's more like sponsoring a G league team than college sports.

So maybe it’s the wrong term but a guy who once he is on campus he’s willing to be a good teammate and play hard for Jersey he puts on. All the NIL stuff to me falls outside of that. It’s a business now.

Once he is on campus as a 5th year he should be what we need and a guy who does what is asked of him and then some.
He’s already left TCU with much fanfare and accusations and allegedly can’t return to the state of Colorado. I’m not saying he can’t be a good teammate, but does he deserve the benefit of the doubt when you add this on to it?

…and to confirm I want him back. Just not on the basis of him being a good teammate

At this point I'd rather be a Div 3 school. College sports isn't about the absolute best of the best athletes anyway... that's the NBa, NFL etc. It was could our student athletes defeat the student athletes from their peer group. These are just minor league professionals with no actual association with the school on the uniform. It's more like sponsoring a G league team than college sports.
My son played baseball for a good D3 college in Pennsylvania and he still stays in contact with the coach. He was telling him that his players are being poached by other schools offering NIL. It’s disrupting sports on all levels.