Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 67 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

I agree with everything you said but what can the NCAA really do? It seems their hands are tied in a lot of this.
I don't know exactly, I haven't thought much about what it can do now - I've thought more about what I think the structure should be in the future (basically pro model). But lobbying Congress to make these things happen will take a long time. It's an election year though so the NCAA should be pushing for help now since both of the main parties want to accomplish something before an election.

Short of that, just start enforcement proceedings against tampering (which every school is doing). Even if the schools sue, it should slow down the mess for a bit and give them more time to restructure the rules. If nothing else, at least it might speed up the process of the breakaway for a super football league. But the status quo is insufferable so I just want to see the NCAA show some sign of life instead of utter helplessness.

A Reset?
Well, is there any real news? Anybody know where it actually stands or if there’s a date set for an announcement.

OK - let's talk Eddie Lampkin! :)
black ink crew thank you GIF by VH1

What I’m confused by is the main Cuse anccount put out that he officially signed with us a few weeks ago. The portal closed on 5/1 - has anyone checked did he re-enter the portal and/or never sign anything?

Or he did all that but the NCAA has become whose line is it anyway where the rules are made up and the points don’t matter?

What I’m confused by is the main Cuse anccount put out that he officially signed with us a few weeks ago. The portal closed on 5/1 - has anyone checked did he re-enter the portal and/or never sign anything?

Or he did all that but the NCAA has become whose line is it anyway where the rules are made up and the points don’t matter?

Yes! ;)

It's amazing how with no news we are keeping this thread alive... Maybe Lampkin checked this board and realized a random dude named Leffew got a way bigger thread?

As for the effect of Lampkin, I think he makes us a much better team. We won't be pushed around with him, that's for sure. He also will command a double team in the post against most teams. This is going to make everybody better. There's a reason Colorado went from 17 to 24 wins, and picking up a good passing post player like Lampkin was a big part of it.

I really hope he stays committed and comes to Syracuse in the fall. It's why I keep checking this thread more than any others. I think other options don't help the team as much.

Red agrees, or he wouldn't have jumped on getting Lampkin so quickly in the portal season, or made up the gap when another team offered more money.
My personal percentage meter is < 10%. One bc it's just crazy town out there and someone will blow it out now that he's apparently inviting an auction. And two bc he charged that post to remove the ACC reference and just showing him working on his game generally. That's a bit of a screw you to cuse and hard to ignore the tea leaves of that.

It's been covered here but when you transfer, there's nothing keeping you from changing your mind until you enroll and attend classes. Meaning that he doesn't technically need to re enter the portal.

My personal percentage meter is < 10%. One bc it's just crazy town out there and someone will blow it out now that he's apparently inviting an auction. And two bc he charged that post to remove the ACC reference and just showing him working on his game generally. That's a bit of a screw you to cuse and hard to ignore the tea leaves of that.
It’s him saying “Dude, don’t ruin this with your tweet. People are bidding, so I don’t want to be affiliated with anyone right now. People don’t throw $$ at a committed player as much as a free agent!”

He’s playing the market, which is good for him financially, but shows that his “loyalty” is for sale. Can’t fault him for doing this, especially after Washington just blew up the system with their insane offer to that foreign dude. If I’m Kadary, I’m getting Pitino and Vitamin Water Man back on the phone. They did him wrong. ;)
Show Me The Money GIF

Mounir, Carey, Patterson, McLoed, are all recent examples of players who were clearly not up task and yet the staff deemed them a fit. The track record doesn’t exactly scream “we can effectively evaluate the 5”
Sure we can. You just are miscasting what they were recruited for. None were supposed to be a star, or even a starter (McLeod excepted). None of them were intended to be a star. 3 of the guys were injured for most of their time here. Patterson had good reviews by Grif. Mounir was serviceable as a Jesse back up. That was to be his role. If you can’t see the potential in Carey, I don’t know what to say.
McLeod blocked, altered and generally discouraged inside shots. We were a different team when he was able to play, even with the bad foot.

A Reset?
Well, is there any real news? Anybody know where it actually stands or if there’s a date set for an announcement.
Yes: Agiant the odds, Eddie stuck with door #1. He won an Iguana, and now has to figure out if he has to pay taxes on it in NY or his home state.

It’s him saying “Dude, don’t ruin this with your tweet. People are bidding, so I don’t want to be affiliated with anyone right now. People don’t throw $$ at a committed player as much as a free agent!”

He’s playing the market, which is good for him financially, but shows that his “loyalty” is for sale. Can’t fault him for doing this, especially after Washington just blew up the system with their insane offer to that foreign dude. If I’m Kadary, I’m getting Pitino and Vitamin Water Man back on the phone. They did him wrong. ;)
Show Me The Money GIF
Completely agree that no one can fairly be faulted for maximizing earning potential. Most of us would too. This "kids are not loyal anymore" talk is so stupid and short sighted honestly. I guess it's fans ways of having an outlet for their frustration but no one can really believe that another generation of athletes would handle this differently.

That said there may be some fault with Eddie given the public cheerleading, chatting up other potential recruits (Davis and Carlos) and apparent lack of concern for the impact his late withdrawal will have on the team, the coaches he's presumably developed a relationship with and respect for, and his soon to be/almost teammates (especially any he helped convince to come or to stay, if any). I say "may" bc I don't know. Indications are that he's a good dude so I'd think those things would be a factor, as well as push him to decide once and for all if he's in or out. Again hard for me to imagine he's in, but hopefully if nothing else he provides the respect to others of a quick decision.

I think Lampkin is a solid player and would be a great fit for us - but Colorado going from 17 to 24 wins had more to do with Williams, De Silva, and KJ Simpson - who are all going to be drafted. Not to say he wont be a loss, but this guy isn't exactly Arinze Onuaku.
This guy is almost exactly Arinze Onuaku.

Big, strong, not athletic for a division 1 basketball player, plays in the post exclusively on offense, position defense with little shotblocking, decent/good passer out of doubles, only ready to play 25 mpg.

In Onuaku's best years, he didn't quite score what Lampkin did last year, Onuaku pulled about the same rebounds, passed for far fewer assists (2.2 to .7) and committed more fouls. And I'm picking Onuaku's best stats in each category, compared to what Lampkin did last year.

Onuaku did get more blocks and steals, and shot a better percentage. But Lampkin at TCU had much better block and steal numbers. I think Colorado wanted Lampkin to avoid fouls to stay in the center of the offense. They scored 79 ppg with him.

We remember Onuaku as better than he was because his injury was so crushing... He was in the middle of the best stretch of his career on the best team of his career, and we were heading for a championship. We'll never forget that...

But Lampkin is just as good, if not better, of a player, and will be healthy and in his fifth year. Apparently he really had trouble with the altitude, and his weight got out of hand by the end of the season, and he still was critical in Colorado getting to the Sweet 16

stop

Stop

STOP

If there are any more OT posts in this thread, no more warnings. They are gone. I don't care how intelligent/pithy/funny they are. And you will find yourself being unable to post in this thread.

Why do you make me do this? You all know the rules on the recruiting board.

-Bad Dad
Thank you sir! Too many 20-30 something posters with Attention Deficit

I think Lampkin is a solid player and would be a great fit for us - but Colorado going from 17 to 24 wins had more to do with Williams, De Silva, and KJ Simpson - who are all going to be drafted. Not to say he wont be a loss, but this guy isn't exactly Arinze Onuaku.
Simpson and de Silva were on the lousy 17 win team the year before. De Silva was the same guy each season. Williams was a good freshman.

Let me ask, why did Simpson go from a 27% 3 point shooter to a 43% shooter? Maybe he got a lot of better shots with Lampkin?

The Colorado team had only one guy listed as a center the year before, and he left before Lampkin took over the position.

I have sent the Monte Hall Problem into the transfer portal and it landed on the "Other Sports" board if anyone wants to continue that discussion.

I think anyone who transfers from SU or backs out of their commitment should be required to solve the problem before they can do so! :mad:

It's hard to believe that that much money is exchanged without a written contract. If not somebody is going to have consequences. Even if there's a legal out, Lampkin has now shown he has no integrity so we don't need guys like that. Usually those types are "me" players and you don't win with them. There are other options to be had. Is that foreign dude transferring out of Kentucky who would average like 10 blocks per 40 minutes still available? Steer clear of Lampkin.

I hope our boosters are smart enough to structure installments and not give him all the money at the beginning of the season. Monthly payments, or at least split it in half -- half in the Fall and half next Spring. I have to assume this happens, but who knows.

This guy is almost exactly Arinze Onuaku.

Big, strong, not athletic for a division 1 basketball player, plays in the post exclusively on offense, position defense with little shotblocking, decent/good passer out of doubles, only ready to play 25 mpg.

In Onuaku's best years, he didn't quite score what Lampkin did last year, Onuaku pulled about the same rebounds, passed for far fewer assists (2.2 to .7) and committed more fouls. And I'm picking Onuaku's best stats in each category, compared to what Lampkin did last year.

Onuaku did get more blocks and steals, and shot a better percentage. But Lampkin at TCU had much better block and steal numbers. I think Colorado wanted Lampkin to avoid fouls to stay in the center of the offense. They scored 79 ppg with him.

We remember Onuaku as better than he was because his injury was so crushing... He was in the middle of the best stretch of his career on the best team of his career, and we were heading for a championship. We'll never forget that...

But Lampkin is just as good, if not better, of a player, and will be healthy and in his fifth year. Apparently he really had trouble with the altitude, and his weight got out of hand by the end of the season, and he still was critical in Colorado getting to the Sweet 16
I gotta disagree with you on Onuaku. Agree with the rest. Onuaku was on much better teams in 2009 and 2010. In 2010, Wes Johnson was an All American, Rautins was one of the best shooters, passers and zone defenders in the country, Kris Jo and Scoop were sixth men of the year, Rick was a beast. We didn’t need to run as much offense through the post so AO didn’t need to score as much, but he could have scored more. AO and Rick both had incredible footwork and post moves. I don’t think Eddie is as good yet in that regard (could be wrong but based on videos I’ve seen). But I think we absolutely need him on this team if we want to be good. Pay the man and let’s move on.

Last edited: