Class of 2019 - C Jesse Edwards (NL/IMG) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Jesse Edwards (NL/IMG) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
if we are still talking about Rak, it should also be pointed out that his first 3 years he was a rotational 4, his senior year he played full time 5

if not, carry on...

if we are still talking about Rak, it should also be pointed out that his first 3 years he was a rotational 4, his senior year he played full time 5

if not, carry on...
i mean thats not accurate, RAK was the starting 5 on the final 4 team in 2013, his soph year. Pretty sure he started every game at the 5 as well in his junior year also

Last edited:
i mean thats not accurate, RAK was the starting 5 on the final 4 team in 2013, his soph year. Pretty sure he started every game at the 5 as well in his junior year also
A little truth on from each. Rak played mostly the 4 his soph year as Coleman and Keita took up slightly over half the C minutes. Rak did start 20 games at each as a soph. But as a Soph and Junior Rak did only average slightly over 20 mpg and 5 ppg so calling him rotational at the 4 and 5 would be accurate. He started every game of his career except for 35/37 as a freshman.

A little truth on from each. Rak played mostly the 4 his soph year as Coleman and Keita took up slightly over half the C minutes. Rak did start 20 games at each as a soph. But as a Soph and Junior Rak did only average slightly over 20 mpg and 5 ppg so calling him rotational at the 4 and 5 would be accurate. He started every game of his career except for 35/37 as a freshman.

That was the era of the highly recruited freshman big token starter. Christmas started 35 games but only played 11 mpg.

The year before, Fab Melo started 24 games but only played 9.9 mpg.

The following year Dajuan Coleman started 19 games but played only 12.7 mpg.

If I remember correctly Coleman was injured a quarter of the way into that season and Rak started every game going forward at the 5 but subbing with Keita based off performance. In jus junior year it was the same thing. I don’t remember him playing the 4 at all sophomore/junior year. He def did his freshman year though

If I remember correctly Coleman was injured a quarter of the way into that season and Rak started every game going forward at the 5 but subbing with Keita based off performance. In his junior year it was the same thing. I don’t remember him playing the 4 at all sophomore/junior year. He def did his freshman year though
Coleman started 20 games at C Rak's sophmore year during which Rak started every game. So Rak must have played some 4, in fact he started at the 4 for at least 20 games. Coleman also started 13 games at C Rak's junior year so Rak had to be the starting 4 at least 13 times (actually 14 as Keita started 1). Keita also played in 32 games that year and when he was in Rak was sometimes at the 4. It was not until his senior year that Rak was solely a C.

Just how much will he surprise us?

Like... he gonna start?
Honestly would it take all that much for him to start? Nobody really wants to see Marek as our starting C and you can't really say Sidibe owns the job. I'm hoping to get 20 mpg out of Sidibe but who knows. If I had to guess the C minutes will be split in order by:
Sidibe
Dolezaj
Edwards
Braswell (I look for a big jump in Braswell this year and that might include some emergency minutes at the 5 just because he's 6'9" and more experienced that Ajak and Edwards). I know he is really a SF but we could see some desperate times at this position this season.

True post play is DEAD anyway. Just give it to the most skilled guy.
True but we play a defense that requires some size and athleticism in the middle. Marek doesn’t provide enough of that against good teams.

The final 4 year he was the starter but it was a rotation. I just looked it up to make sure I remembered correctly.

Christmas 833 min
Keita 672 min
DC2 305

To me that is very definition of a rotation.

The final 4 year he was the starter but it was a rotation. I just looked it up to make sure I remembered correctly.

Christmas 833 min
Keita 672 min
DC2 305

To me that is very definition of a rotation.
Yeh i agree, he rotated every year for the most part outside of his senior year. He didnt really play the 4 though aside from when he was a freshman

True post play is DEAD anyway. Just give it to the most skilled guy.
Nah it isn't, not in the zone. I agree on offense there are tons of options, small ball, low-post conventional, etc. But having someone to anchor the zone who can block shots and rebound, and maybe give us some points on offense for balance, that will never be out of date.

Last edited:
Nah it isn't, not on in the zone. I agree on offense there are tons of options, small ball, low-post conventional, etc. But having someone to anchor the zone who can block shots and rebound, and maybe give us some points on offense for balance, that will never be out of date.

I was speaking about offensive post play. It's DEAD. I would take a Lydon type center who could block shots/Rebound/shoot any day of the week.

I was speaking about offensive post play. It's DEAD. I would take a Lydon type center who could block shots/Rebound/shoot any day of the week.
I agree that currently it is not part of the game but I think the whole things runs in cycles. So if by dead you mean gone and never coming back I don't agree. What if a kid like Shaq came into the current NBA he would be unguardable. That will happen again. There will be a stretch where there are a few really good kids that come up and centers become important again.

I agree that currently it is not part of the game but I think the whole things runs in cycles. So if by dead you mean gone and never coming back I don't agree. What if a kid like Shaq came into the current NBA he would be unguardable. That will happen again. There will be a stretch where there are a few really good kids that come up and centers become important again.
I don’t know about that. Shaq might be unguardable in the modern NBA, but he’d be dragged out to the perimeter and put in a potential switch every time down the court.

That’s why half these skilled post players (with no outside game/quickness) can’t play for more than a few minutes at a time.

I don’t know about that. Shaq might be unguardable in the modern NBA, but he’d be dragged out to the perimeter and put in a potential switch every time down the court.

That’s why half these skilled post players (with no outside game/quickness) can’t play for more than a few minutes at a time.
Shaq in his prime would dominate any era.

Status
Not open for further replies.