Class of 2017 - C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky

pearl31 said:
there are some on this board who've apparently had Moustapha's transcripts to examine, have spoken at length with officials from his high school as well as SU officials - and know to the letter what the situation is... but only offer up a "don't blame the ncaa"

Not trying to be an ass, but do you have any idea how much you sound like a whiny 13-year-old girl?

Some of us have access to more info than you. I don't know what to tell you. Maybe get better connected friends?

We provide what we feel we can provide publicly. If that's not good enough for you, tough . My friends trust is more important than appeasing your need to be included.

When people drop hints to me in a thread about football- people who have tons better connections than me...I don't bitch because they don't give me exact details. I actually appreciate the info and am somewhat grateful.

Not trying to be an ass, but do you have any idea how much you sound like a whiny 13-year-old girl?

Some of us have access to more info than you. I don't know what to tell you. Maybe get better connected friends?

We provide what we feel we can provide publicly. If that's not good enough for you, tough . My friends trust is more important than appeasing your need to be included.

When people drop hints to me in a thread about football- people who have tons better connections than me...I don't bitch because they don't give me exact details. I actually appreciate the info and am somewhat grateful.
Um... ok thanks!
:)

BTW, I did ask via PM someone who apparently "knows" in a manner which would have only required a simple yes or no without divulging details or sources, and they continued with the "it's not the ncaa's fault" line and nothing else. God forbid that some of us should remain skeptical and looking for more answers to this.
Any way you slice it, a good kid got screwed over and there's been no legitimate explanation why/how.

edit: and way to paint this as me just being an @ss, and ugrateful for info you provide - I've expressed my gratitude to you time and again - but ok, make an @ss of me publicly :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sorry for unloading on you because I think you're a good poster. Even in PMs, I don't divulge much more to people I don't know. Not surprised you got the response you got.

You make a good point, albeit harshly.

Sorry for unloading on you because I think you're a good poster. Even in PMs, I don't divulge much more to people I don't know. Not surprised you got the response you got.
hey man, I completely get your frustration with how people on here can be - totally a damned if you do/damned if you don't type situation.
This Diagne mess is perplexing to me is all. And yes, my above post was snarky and probably uncalled for. I'll let it go now.
Thanks again for the info you provide and I hope you can still drop the occasional nugget for us from time to time.

Just read in Sporting News that SU is not the only school being screwed over by NCAA eligibility timliness (or lack thereof) Bill Self is awaiting, and has been, eligibility clearance on Check Diallo... and has been for some time. And... a lawyer is, supposedly, going to sue the NCAA on their eligibility requirements on behalf of several players awaiting clearance. Of course the issues are somewhat different from Diagne but still...

Just read in Sporting News that SU is not the only school being screwed over by NCAA eligibility timliness (or lack thereof) Bill Self is awaiting, and has been, eligibility clearance on Check Diallo... and has been for some time. And... a lawyer is, supposedly, going to sue the NCAA on their eligibility requirements on behalf of several players awaiting clearance. Of course the issues are somewhat different from Diagne but still...
You would think that eligibility reviews on a timely basis would be one of their priorities.

Oh, I forgot, they are too involved with excessive and extensive investigations into minor infractions that drag on for the better part of a decade.

SkanSU said:

The difference with Diallo is that he is apparently from a basketball factory program.

I have no idea if this has been posted or not but what is the deal with Diagne now? So I know he is at a JUCO, but is he still committed to CUSE? Is he a 2017 committ now or what? Has he re-opened his recruitment? Does anyone know? Thanks

Is there a rule that you MUST attend a JUCO for 2 years? What if you are academically qualified after one semester (wasn't he only 1 class short)?

Is there a rule that you MUST attend a JUCO for 2 years? What if you are academically qualified after one semester (wasn't he only 1 class short)?

How I understand it, if it's just one class and that's the only issue, he only has to make up the credits for that one class. If it's more than one class, he has to go to JUCO for 2 years. That's how I think somebody explained it here, but I could be wrong.

It seems like a very stupid rule, so that lends credibility to it being an actual NCAA rule.

He essentially needs to get his AA degree in order to transfer to a Division 1 school.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/junior-college-transfer-2-4.htm

2-4 Transfers
2-4 transfers have two different sets of rules in both Division I and Division II. One set of rules is for qualifiers, the other is for non-qualifiers (including partial qualifiers in Division II). Note that these rules are basic standards and do not include some of the less common exceptions that some athletes may be able to take advantage of.

If you attended a four year school before your junior college, you are a 4-2-4 transfer and the rules are different.

Make Sure You Are an Academic Qualifier
To be considered a qualifier, you need to have registered with the NCAA Eligibility Center and have been certified by them as an academic qualifier. Generally, if you have attended a junior college and are graduating with your AA or general education degree you are going to be an academic qualifier. In Division I, if you are transferring from a two-year college and you have been certified as a final academic qualifier, the requirements to compete in your first year are:

Attend the two-year college full-time for at least one semester or quarter;

Achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.000; and

Complete an average of at least 12 transferable credit hours per full-time term at the two-year college.

If you plan on playing baseball or basketball (men’s or women’s) after your transfer, you may not transfer during the middle of the year from a two-year college and play that same year. And in men’s basketball, you may only use two credit hours of physical education courses to meet these requirements, unless you will major in physical education.

In Division II, the requirements are exactly the same for qualifiers. Division II does not have any rules against midyear transfers playing immediately in any sport. And Division II has no limits in any sport on using physical education credits.

What to do as a Non-Qualifier
Generally, a non-qualifier is a student athlete who is attempting to transfer before completing their general education/associates degree. In Division I, if you are transferring from a two-year college and have never been certified as a final academic qualifier, the requirements to compete, practice, and receive an athletic scholarship in your first year are:

• Attend the two-year college full-time for at least three semesters or four quarters;
  • Achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 2.000;
  • Graduate from the two-year college; and
  • Have at least 48 transferable credit hours at a semester school or 72 transferable credit hours at a quarter school, including six or eight of English and three semester hours or four quarter hours of math.
Only 18 semester hours or 27 quarter hours may be earned during summer terms. And only 9 semester hours or 13.5 quarter hours may be earned the summer immediately prior to a transfer to a Division I school. The same midyear transfer rules for baseball and basketball and physical education credits rule for men’s basketball apply to non-qualifiers as well.

IthacaMatt said:

He will be there 2 years.

Why not SU? He liked us once, why not in two years. May depend on who we bring in over the next year or two. He would certainly have looked good on this years roster. Could use another power player on the roster.

Why not SU? He liked us once, why not in two years. May depend on who we bring in over the next year or two. He would certainly have looked good on this years roster. Could use another power player on the roster.
Doubtful. We won't be looking for a 2 year player at that time.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up in 2 years.

Are we still recruiting him? Presumably he is ineligible to enroll at any Division I school for two years, not just at Syracuse?

Are we still recruiting him? Presumably he is ineligible to enroll at any Division I school for two years, not just at Syracuse?
Yes, can go anywhere he wants in 2 years. I don't know if they are still recruiting him.

Whitey23 said:
Yes, can go anywhere he wants in 2 years. I don't know if they are still recruiting him.

That article says we were at one of his games down there.

This guy is a fantastic low post player. Very rare development in that regard -- he's got some AO offensive game to how he plays. Wouldn't surprise me to see us stick with him and re-recruit him in two seasons, given that low post scorers don't grow on trees. But it also wouldn't surprise us to pass on him for the reason that Dasher suggests above.