Class of 2017 - C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky

Will end up being unnecessary hand wringing on this board for nothing.

Also MW said he doesn't take much or think much of the interest in Brodricks Jones.

The NCAA took away a year of eligibility for Obokoh for similar nonsense so it is something to be concerned about despite your always insightful commentary.

Will end up being unnecessary hand wringing on this board for nothing.

Also MW said he doesn't take much or think much of the interest in Brodricks Jones.

Put on your blinders and charge ahead into the darkness bro.
Just because he is now very likely to be on campus in the fall doesn't mean there isn't something going on and wasn't something to be concerned about.

So Fab Melo could qualify but this kid cannot despite actually having intelligence relevant to the english speaking world.

I give up

So Fab Melo could qualify but this kid cannot despite actually having intelligence relevant to the english speaking world.

I give up

There is also the factor the NCAA hating us right now. They took a year from Chino, they held up Roberson till the last minute and now the are messing with Diagne. I wouldn't put it past them to be actively trying to find a reason to take a season from him.

I give up
It appears it has nothing to do with academic qualifying in the traditional sense. It's about the NCAA deciding that, because he's an international player, his previous coursework doesn't add up the way his transcripts say it does. Nothing to do with mental capabilities.

It appears it has nothing to do with academic qualifying in the traditional sense. It's about the NCAA deciding that, because he's an international player, his previous coursework doesn't add up the way his transcripts say it does. Nothing to do with mental capabilities.
"Nothing to do with mental capabilities" - I really hate the NCAA. A scholar athlete who qualifies athletically and academically held back due to w.e. bs about his immigration.

As far as I'm concerned now the NCAA is against the American Dream and is a pack of commies

Why can't he take online summer classes? Surely they at least have dial-up in Senegal.

nope, they are still using carrier pigeons in Senegal. So the NCAA couriers estimate it will take 8 years to gather all of the necessary docs before a ruling can be made. :bat::confused::mad:Oh Lord

There is also the factor the NCAA hating us right now. They took a year from Chino, they held up Roberson till the last minute and now the are messing with Diagne. I wouldn't put it past them to be actively trying to find a reason to take a season from him.

If Diagne is designated as "4 to play 4" instead of "5 to play 4", what difference does it make? He's going to play this season anyways.

If Diagne is designated as "4 to play 4" instead of "5 to play 4", what difference does it make? He's going to play this season anyways.

I don't get this. Couldn't they deem him a sophomore in terms of eligibility, giving him 4 years to play 3?

This wouldn't make a difference in his case unless he suffered an injury at some point. He then wouldn't be able to medical redshirt without a special waiver. Still WHY? That is my question why would a foreign kid loose eligibility of he got all the academic qualifying scores he needed?

I don't get this. Couldn't they deem him a sophomore in terms of eligibility, giving him 4 years to play 3?

Most players have a 5 year window of eligibility to play 4 seasons.

Because Chino was held back a year in HS, the NCAA shortened his eligibility window by one year.

Meaning that he didn't have the luxury of a redshirt season when he came to SU. Shame that nobody at SU knew this until after Chino had already sat out as a freshman.

Otherwise, Chino could have played 2-3 minutes a game against our November and December cupcakes, and sat out the rest of the season anyways.

He'd still be a Junior this year.

Who knows what the NCAA is looking at in regards to Diagne.

This wouldn't make a difference in his case unless he suffered an injury at some point. He then wouldn't be able to medical redshirt without a special waiver. Still WHY? That is my question why would a foreign kid loose eligibility of he got all the academic qualifying scores he needed?

If a kid graduates HS on time, but his grades are soft, he can attend a prep school for a year. But holding a kid back a year to prevent his grades from getting soft is frowned upon.

Don't ask me why. Does anything the NCAA does make sense?

Most players have a 5 year window of eligibility to play 4 seasons.

Because Chino was held back a year in HS, the NCAA shortened his eligibility window by one year.

Meaning that he didn't have the luxury of a redshirt season when he came to SU. Shame that nobody at SU knew this until after Chino had already sat out as a freshman.

Otherwise, Chino could have played 2-3 minutes a game against our November and December cupcakes, and sat out the rest of the season anyways.

He'd still be a Junior this year.

Who knows what the NCAA is looking at in regards to Diagne.

The concept that you are taking away a year to play in college because a foreign born student had to spend more time completing highschool is beyond ridiculous. How is it different than prepping an extra season which doesn't cause a reduction in years. Its discriminatory against these foreign kids.

The concept that you are taking away a year to play in college because a foreign born student had to spend more time completing highschool is beyond ridiculous. How is it different than prepping an extra season which doesn't cause a reduction in years. Its discriminatory against these foreign kids.

I suppose the NCAA doesn't want potential 16 year old HS freshmen becoming 20 year old SEC freshman. :noidea:

And when we do, I want to see Boeheim stick it to the NCAA that night and every night until he retires. Shabazz Napier will look like a boyscout after JB drops the mic.

If a kid graduates HS on time, but his grades are soft, he can attend a prep school for a year. But holding a kid back a year to prevent his grades from getting soft is frowned upon.

If you prep after 12th grade don't you lose the extra year i.e. You have four to play four?

I found reference to an eligibility requirement that existed a few years ago (may still be a requirement) that required kids to complete 16 core courses in high school. It further require that those core courses be completed within 8 semesters (4 years) of the time the kid entered ninth grade. I'm not sure whether they actually had to graduate within 4 years of entering 9th grade or just complete the core courses within that time frame. I think it might also have been permissible to complete one in the final summer after the 8 semesters were complete (before entry), but to do this you had to be graduating with your class.

I assume this rule was intended to gauge a kid's ability to complete course work on a pace that would suggest he would be capable of completing college course work on a pace that would allow him to meet continuing eligibility (progress) requirements. Completing the core courses at a slower pace, say one a year over 16 years isn't nearly as rigorous as completing four a year (which in reality isn't particularly rigorous either).

With Diagne and Chino transferring to U.S. schools after they had already begun secondary school in their home country, they could have violated this rule. Also very possible that no one realizes this until very very late in the game because they probably place the kids on enrolling in the U.S. schools according to entry exams rather than based on any NCAA requirement.

IF it's only a matter of losing 1 year of eligibility, as Mike Waters implied, then why would we be sniffing the Jones kid? Still doesn't add up.

FrancoPizza said:
IF it's only a matter of losing 1 year of eligibility, as Mike Waters implied, then why would we be sniffing the Jones kid? Still doesn't add up.

Come on man, ain't nobody sniffin nothing around here, keep walkin.