Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

When dealing with scouting these guys they will fluctuate, but it’s a board myth that guys drop all the time when they sign with us, it works the other way too probably the same amount.
yeah, there's no conspiracy ... that's lunacy. Anyone outside of the top-5 or -10 prospects are probably suited to be slotted into tiers and even then, they're going to bounce around when people see them either for the first time or after they get exposed to different levels of competition. It's all about as scientific as dart throwing anyway.

Some stats on 3-point shooting last year of high school: Judah 46% (18/39); Benny 50% (2/4) (limited sample); Bunch 24% (15/62); Copeland 0% (no attempts but IMG only lists a few games and I noticed the previous year he scored threes most games and sometimes multiple threes, not sure about efficiency, but maybe he can develop a shot); Taylor 14% (1/7) (IMG only lists a few games; heard he slumped recently but is a good shooter -- hopefully those few games aren't a good indicator).

Judah is a really good shooter and he uses pump fakes from the perimeter to blow by his defender and pull up from mid-range. His perimeter shooting is really encouraging considering he's the most likely of the freshman to start and play a lot of minutes. Taylor and Bunch will have to shoot well from 3 to get playing time. Whichever of those two finds their perimeter stroke early will probably be awarded a starting spot, unless we get a transfer forward.

I don't expect Benny to shoot 3s next year as his jumper was really flat and needs to be re-worked, but if he can hit wide open 3s from time to time that would be a huge asset for stretching the defense. He needs to focus on creating on the dribble and getting to the cup, which I have no doubt will click at some point--just hope it clicks sooner rather than later. He also needs a mid-range.

Sounds like freshman Jesse Edwards, no?
I have no quarrel w/ JB & staff, if they think QB fits their plan. We can’t base how he looked in FSU’s system, w/ how he’d look in ours.
I was discussing my impression of JBA. An easy player to cheer for. He just has not developed as I hoped he would

I was discussing my impression of JBA. An easy player to cheer for. He just has not developed as I hoped he would
His body type is never going to gain weight. Good kid but IMHO he'll always be a 3rd string guy.

I have no issue taking a chance on Ballard. He is an insurance policy if Jesse gets hurt and could develop into a solid Center.

Some stats on 3-point shooting last year of high school: Judah 46% (18/39); Benny 50% (2/4) (limited sample); Bunch 24% (15/62); Copeland 0% (no attempts but IMG only lists a few games and I noticed the previous year he scored threes most games and sometimes multiple threes, not sure about efficiency, but maybe he can develop a shot); Taylor 14% (1/7) (IMG only lists a few games; heard he slumped recently but is a good shooter -- hopefully those few games aren't a good indicator).

Judah is a really good shooter and he uses pump fakes from the perimeter to blow by his defender and pull up from mid-range. His perimeter shooting is really encouraging considering he's the most likely of the freshman to start and play a lot of minutes. Taylor and Bunch will have to shoot well from 3 to get playing time. Whichever of those two finds their perimeter stroke early will probably be awarded a starting spot, unless we get a transfer forward.

I don't expect Benny to shoot 3s next year as his jumper was really flat and needs to be re-worked, but if he can hit wide open 3s from time to time that would be a huge asset for stretching the defense. He needs to focus on creating on the dribble and getting to the cup, which I have no doubt will click at some point--just hope it clicks sooner rather than later. He also needs a mid-range.
Somebody said Benny's shot didn't look flat shooting from deep. It only flattened out when he was taking his turnaround and inside the arc.

He’ll have it worked out by next season.

It'd be funny if he went full Dion, and retooled his 3-ball to be an incredibly high-arching rainbow.

It went in a decent amount (36% as a Soph) so I'm not being a hater.

Williams Island. ;)

Somebody said Benny's shot didn't look flat shooting from deep. It only flattened out when he was taking his turnaround and inside the arc.
That's encouraging. I just went back through some of his HS analysis and recruitment, and it doesn't seem like shooting was a concern. Maybe it will be easier than expected for him to fix his shot over the off-season. He just had a bad year, which is understandable. That makes it more likely he'll make the sophomore leap we need.

It'd be funny if he went full Dion, and retooled his 3-ball to be an incredibly high-arching rainbow.

It went in a decent amount (36% as a Soph) so I'm not being a hater.

Williams Island. ;)
I am judging by his shot in high school. I don't think he is a great outside shooter, but he isn't as bad as what he showed this year. He is a bit mechanical, not very fluid as a shooter. But, I think he can shoot in the 33-35% range.

I haven't had Varsity pizza in over 30 years. and I still miss it.

djo1989 - Your wings are ready!!!! :cool:

My favorite thing to do, was to go to Varsity after leaving Faegans, just a few minutes before they were going to close for the night (Varsity, not Faegans).
I'd go to buy a slice, and they'd often give me 2, since they were otherwise just going to have to throw them out.

Ah, college!

djo1989 - Your wings are ready!!!! :cool:

My favorite thing to do, was to go to Varsity after leaving Faegans, just a few minutes before they were going to close for the night (Varsity, not Faegans).
I'd go to buy a slice, and they'd often give me 2, since they were otherwise just going to have to throw them out.

Ah, college!
Jawbreakers at the food trucks were great !!!

That's encouraging. I just went back through some of his HS analysis and recruitment, and it doesn't seem like shooting was a concern. Maybe it will be easier than expected for him to fix his shot over the off-season. He just had a bad year, which is understandable. That makes it more likely he'll make the sophomore leap we need.
He had a decent shot in HS. I truly believe JB screwed his head up. He will be a completely different player next year knowing that its his spot. He is going to be very good now that the kids are out of the house.

He had a decent shot in HS. I truly believe JB screwed his head up. He will be a completely different player next year knowing that its his spot. He is going to be very good now that the kids are out of the house.

Steph Curry screwed his head up. Curry screwed everyone's head up.

Everyone practices 21' shots in the gym. Nobody focuses on mid-range jumpers anymore.

Of course JB did. He ruined Paul Harris too. Who knows how good he could have been. And yes, being serious.

Of course JB did. He ruined Paul Harris too. Who knows how good he could have been. And yes, being serious.
Unless you're Rodman, you have to be able to shoot. Paul could never shoot

Steph Curry screwed his head up. Curry screwed everyone's head up.

Everyone practices 21' shots in the gym. Nobody focuses on mid-range jumpers anymore.
I mean... there's a good reason for that.

Because chicks dig the long ball?
I'm not sure if this was tongue in cheek, but the reason comes down to efficiency.

If you take a mid range jumper and hit at 45% you would consider that a decent percentage. You are getting .9 points per shot. Not terrible.

If you take two steps back and hit 35% from 3, on the other hand, you score 1.05 per shot, a much higher rate.

The NBA game became a dunks and threes league because they followed the efficiency. Indeed, NBA defences have tried to force mid range jumpers because they are the least efficient shot in basketball. Much better to take a three or go to the basket to get fouled or score.

College has followed this trend.

It's actually the biggest risk of a guy like Mintz. He scored very efficiently in the highest level high school league using a lot of mid range jumpers, and getting to the basket. Mintz mixes in only the occasional three (it seems he only shoots threes when wide open). His scoring game may not translate fully, because he's not had to score against ACC rim protectors near the basket, and his accuracy from mid range might be hampered by bigger defenders a dribble or two inside the line. Lastly, can Mintz become a volume shooter of threes at the next level and keep an efficient percentage? He looks to me like Rip Hamilton shooting mid range jumpers, but Rip was elite getting to the basket in college AND was four inches taller, letting him get his shot off easier against challenges. Yet Etan Thomas still blocked him seven times one game.

Just to circle the post to Ballard, this need to protect the rim is why I want him. If Edwards is out, we don't want a little guy trying to fill in. It would be Dolezaj out of his depth all over again. You can't teach a guy to be Ballard's size.

Last edited: