Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

If he can find a school to transfer to, he will be gone. Nice kid. Tries as hard as he can. But we can do a lot better.
Not necessarily about JBA, but if some of these kids who aren't getting a lot of PT and results would drop down to a mid or lower major like a MAAC school like Siena/America East-UAlbany they could definitely make a huge impact. Or if they really like Syracuse, nothing wrong with a D-2 school like LeMoyne. It's still a great education and D-2 is still great hoops. Basically, the difference is that the guys are just not as big or not as fast but in many cases are just as athletic and can shoot as well.

Why cant Cuse get a portal Center next season when the crop is fresh? Worry about this team, Jesse and Quincy and Peter.

Right if he transfers, that's great. If he doesn't, he has experience and might be of some use. Also, another mouth to feed could cause problems as well.

JBA is a great kid and well liked by all his teammates. As a player he is the "break glass in case of emergency". He isn't a stretch 4. He isn't a confident shooter. That said as a teammate he is great. We would be looking to freshman for numbers before JBA.

Yes if he so chooses to go elsewhere. Don't want to be pushing him out.
i do not support not renewing the scholie for any player unless there is some sort of bad conduct, obviously not the situation with JBA.

However, that being said, I see nothing wrong with the staff explaining that he will not have much of a role and working with that player to help find him a better situation elsewhere, but the choice should be JBA's.

i think QB has an official visit scheduled, so I would assume he will be offered at that visit if he indicates that he would accept.

i do not support not renewing the scholie for any player unless there is some sort of bad conduct, obviously not the situation with JBA.

However, that being said, I see nothing wrong with the staff explaining that he will not have much of a role and working with that player to help find him a better situation elsewhere, but the choice should be JBA's.

Of course. Helping him find a home as part of that too if he so desires.

Give me a real quality forward and I will roll with the team we will have next year. I think we could be fun. 2 sr's that are capable of having quality sr seasons. A frosh that I love at the pt. That leaves the forward spots. We have a question with Benny. We just can't have 2 questions at forward. I wouldn't want to have to play a road game with that forward group.

I think of it as an open competition for minutes at forward. We have JBA, Taylor, Bunch, Brown, Williams and Carey to compete for those minutes. Williams might have been given the "you are definitely starting" nod to keep him here, but JB definitely won't mind the quick hook with Williams if he isn't earning the minutes.

Out of that group, I think it's a solid bet that 3 of them become quality rotation players and at least one of them becomes a good ACC starter.

I also have faith that JB can figure out who deserves those minutes and put the kids in position to succeed.

If we get Ballard to be a giant backup to Edwards, I wouldn't mind a forward if somebody left, but I think we can roll with this squad.

All of the guys on the forward list are more athletic than both Swider and Jimmy, so the raw materials for defensive improvement are there. I think this is much more important than offense this year.

Our offense will come from:

-Motion offense to get Girard and whoever else JB trusts open 3 point shots. Girard might get the Cooney, Andy Rautins treatment running 20 miles off double picks every game to get open threes. I think he's up for it, if he gets enough rest. Fortunately, Mintz and Torrence are going to force playing time. Unfortunately, Girard might be the only reliable three point shooter, which means he could be left out there to die.

-Edwards/Girard on the pick and roll. I think this is going to be very hard to defend and is going to open up a lot of room for the other three guys. The last two games before Edwards got hurt, this play was really clicking. I think they start right back at it.

-Drive and dish. Torrence, Mintz and Copeland all have drive and dish in their game. Torrence at times has shown flashes of being elite. Girard might be able to do this off the ball, but he almost always looks to shoot first.

-Isolation with Mintz, Williams or one of the other freshman. JB has always given the isolation role to the best, most experienced scorer, but I really hope he sees Girard cannot play this role. Girard will help us many other ways, but running 10 plays a half where they clear out for Girard is a recipe for a lot of fast break points given up the other way. Mintz, on the other hand, has been called the best scorer in his class by some observers. His highlights of pull up mid range jumpers reminded me of Richard Hamilton. Nobody tries mid range jumpers anymore, so he might hit five jumpers a game because nobody remembers to defend against it. He also seems to elevate higher than most to get good looks.

-Edwards in the post. Edwards has some pretty good skill here, and we will have the guards to get him the ball where he can score. He also has decent passing, so hopefully a lot of our possessions start with Edwards in the post.

Our three guards and Edwards are going to generate most of the offense. I could easily see Mintz, Girard and Edwards combining for 50 per game. The other five guys in the rotation just need to rebound, defend and come up with 20-30 points by accident in the flow of the offense. I think Benny Williams will be a revelation next year, possibly on the level of Sherman Douglas. Even if he doesn't improve that much, we have six chances for good production from the forwards. I feel confident we'll cobble together decent enough play.

Sign me up for a guy who can compete physically when Edwards is out. Let's get Quincy Ballard if we can.

Last edited:
I think of it as an open competition for minutes at forward. We have JBA, Taylor, Bunch, Brown, Williams and Carey to compete for those minutes. Williams might have been given the "you are definitely starting" nod to keep him here, but JB definitely won't mind the quick hook with Williams if he isn't earning the minutes.

Out of that group, I think it's a solid bet that 3 of them become quality rotation players and at least one of them becomes a good ACC starter.

I also have faith that JB can figure out who deserves those minutes and put the kids in position to succeed.

If we get Ballard to be a giant backup to Edwards, I wouldn't mind a forward if somebody left, but I think we can roll with this squad.

All of the guys on the forward list are more athletic than both Swider and Jimmy, so the raw materials for defensive improvement are there. I think this is much more important than offense this year.

Our offense will come from:

-Motion offense to get Girard and whoever else JB trusts open 3 point shots. Girard might get the Cooney, Andy Rautins treatment running 20 miles off double picks every game to get open threes. I think he's up for it, if he gets enough rest. Fortunately, Mintz and Torrence are going to force playing time. Unfortunately, Girard might be the only reliable three point shooter, which means he could be left out there to die.

-Edwards/Girard on the pick and roll. I think this is going to be very hard to defend and is going to open up a lot of room for the other three guys. The last two games before Edwards got hurt, this play was really clicking. I think they start right back at it.

-Drive and dish. Torrence, Mintz and Copeland all have drive and dish in their game. Torrence at times has shown flashes of being elite. Girard might be able to do this off the ball, but he almost always looks to shoot first.

-Isolation with Mintz, Williams or one of the other freshman. JB has always given the isolation role to the best, most experienced scorer, but I really hope he sees Girard cannot play this role. Girard will help us many other ways, but running 10 plays a half where they clear out for Girard is a recipe for a lot of fast break points given up the other way. Mintz, on the other hand, has been called the best scorer in his class by some observers. His highlights of pull up mid range jumpers reminded me of Richard Hamilton. Nobody tries mid range jumpers anymore, so he might hit five jumpers a game because nobody remembers to defend against it. He also seems to elevate higher than most to get good looks.

-Edwards in the post. Edwards has some pretty good skill here, and we will have the guards to get him the ball where he can score. He also has decent passing, so hopefully a lot of our possessions start with Edwards in the post.

Our three guards and Edwards are going to generate most of the offense. I could easily see Mintz, Girard and Edwards combining for 50 per game. The other five guys in the rotation just need to rebound, defend and come up with 20-30 points by accident in the flow of the offense. I think Benny Williams will be a revelation next year, possibly on the level of Sherman Douglas. Even if he doesn't, we have six chances for good production from the forwards. I feel confident well cobble together decent enough play.

Sign me up for a guy who can compete physically when Edwards is out. Let's get Quincy Ballard if we can.
Good post, but in the modern game there is just no way around not having at least three guys who can hit the trey out on the floor.

OK, Joe is the first option for that and he is proven.

I suspect Taylor will be the second option for that and he is, of course, unproven, but I like his chances to be a factor.

I think we get some help from Mintz in that regard, but he is very unproven and three point shooting would only be a secondary role for him.

Maybe Bunch can help, but I am in the corner of thinking he will need a developmental year before he can make an impact.

I dont see help in that regard coming from Benny, Jesse, QB (if we get him), Cope, Sy, Carey, JBA, or Brown - with Brown probably being the only one of that group who might surprise a little bit.

All in all if we cant add a shooter from the portal we may well end up being a very fun team to watch.....but I just would not forsee any improvement over last season. Gotta get that last piece.

Keep in mind, the forwards will be single-covered and in some cases wide open. Swider passed up a lot of shots he should have taken. If Bunch/Taylor are coached up to let it fly, they won’t need to shoot the same percentage as Swider to be productive.

If we only add Ballard, JB definitely needs to put more effort into the offense than he has the past several years.

Keep in mind, the forwards will be single-covered and in some cases wide open. Swider passed up a lot of shots he should have taken. If Bunch/Taylor are coached up to let it fly, they won’t need to shoot the same percentage as Swider to be productive.

If we only add Ballard, JB definitely needs to put more effort into the offense than he has the past several years.
I mean if our lineup next year is judah Girard Benny Taylor Edwards that's rough. Not sure how much effort he can put in. Teams are going to key in on Girard on the outside and Jesse on the post. If Benny doesn't make a jump the 2018 team that was offensively challenged is going to look like the Showtime Lakers in comparison.

Good post, but in the modern game there is just no way around not having at least three guys who can hit the trey out on the floor.

OK, Joe is the first option for that and he is proven.

I suspect Taylor will be the second option for that and he is, of course, unproven, but I like his chances to be a factor.

I think we get some help from Mintz in that regard, but he is very unproven and three point shooting would only be a secondary role for him.

Maybe Bunch can help, but I am in the corner of thinking he will need a developmental year before he can make an impact.

I dont see help in that regard coming from Benny, Jesse, QB (if we get him), Cope, Sy, Carey, JBA, or Brown - with Brown probably being the only one of that group who might surprise a little bit.

All in all if we cant add a shooter from the portal we may well end up being a very fun team to watch...but I just would not forsee any improvement over last season. Gotta get that last piece.
Part of my belief in a breakout year from Benny Williams is that I believe he is going to be an acceptable to good three point shooter. First hand reports of people who have watched him play and his high school video indicate his raw skill wasn't the problem in this area last year. He will at least be a threat. Add in the other forward at least being competent and we will have three threats (Mintz, Williams and forward) and an assassin (Girard) on the floor most of the time from three. Taylor and Bunch both have reputations of being able to hit the three, so I think one of them will be the other forward, but that's why they have preseason practice.

Those threats will be enough to provide spacing for the other things we will be trying to do.

If Williams and Mintz are good enough shooting the three, maybe we put Brown or Carey at the other forward and go bigger for rebounding and interior defense.

Last edited:
Bunch and/or Taylor should provide reliable shooting depth. Bunch has a low release though and, while it works for him in HS, there may be some incentive to fiddle with it in college and it may not be as successful initially.

Rankings can be very misleading don’t ya think?
Had some guy ranked 101st signed with Duke or Kentucky he may see his ranking skyrocket.
Not saying I disagree with your point, but rankings shmankings!
You don’t think kids boost when they sign with us?

If he can find a school to transfer to, he will be gone. Nice kid. Tries as hard as he can. But we can do a lot better.
In the limited time I saw him play it appeared he was not strong holding onto rebounds and passes. Definitely a small sample but besides the hustle and popularity that is something I noticed.

In the limited time I saw him play it appeared he was not strong holding onto rebounds and passes. Definitely a small sample but besides the hustle and popularity that is something I noticed.
Sounds like freshman Jesse Edwards, no?
I have no quarrel w/ JB & staff, if they think QB fits their plan. We can’t base how he looked in FSU’s system, w/ how he’d look in ours.

Sounds like freshman Jesse Edwards, no?
I have no quarrel w/ JB & staff, if they think QB fits their plan. We can’t base how he looked in FSU’s system, w/ how he’d look in ours.
I thought he was talking about jba

You don’t think kids boost when they sign with us?
It tends to be the opposite. Battle and Jalen Carey both dropped. A bunch of guys in this class dropped, pun most certainly intended.

Dior Johnson and Lands, too.

It tends to be the opposite. Battle and Jalen Carey both dropped. A bunch of guys in this class dropped, pun most certainly intended.

Dior Johnson and Lands, too.
Battle dropped after he signed with Michigan then stayed about the same with us. Carey dropped a couple spots but not that much.

Kamari went down after he recommitted.

When dealing with scouting these guys they will fluctuate, but it’s a board myth that guys drop all the time when they sign with us, it works the other way too probably the same amount.