Class of 2023 - C Victor Wembanyama | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 C Victor Wembanyama

Not in the NBA. This guy is going to dominate in the NBA.

He looks like a praying mantis right now. He has to still grow into his body and not get hurt.

Anyone who compares him to Durant is kidding themselves. This guy is not that fluid. Durant has NBA SF skills.

This guy is going to be really talented, like Mark Eaton if he gains weight, or Mr. Sampson. It's certainly not intended as an insult.

He looks like a praying mantis right now. He has to still grow into his body and not get hurt.

Anyone who compares him to Durant is kidding themselves. This guy is not that fluid. Durant has NBA SF skills.

This guy is going to be really talented, like Mark Eaton if he gains weight, or Mr. Sampson. It's certainly not intended as an insult.
He will be the best player in the association in 5 years.

He will be the best player in the association in 5 years.
I agree. Obviously you cannot compare him to peak, game mature Durant. If you want to do a real comparison, then you need to be knowledgeable of Durant's game at 18 or 19 years old or take the time and find some of his high school/AAU/college games. With that perspective you can see Victor's trajectory or the hated word "potential." Watching the 2 games against Ignite, offensively, his ability to handle the ball, pull up or catch and shoot and elevate fluidly like a shooting guard is impressive, and he will only get better. He is already a great shot blocker/changer with great timing and body control so not to commit fouls. He does need to work on rebounding.

I agree. Obviously you cannot compare him to peak, game mature Durant. If you want to do a real comparison, then you need to be knowledgeable of Durant's game at 18 or 19 years old or take the time and find some of his high school/AAU/college games. With that perspective you can see Victor's trajectory or the hated word "potential." Watching the 2 games against Ignite, offensively, his ability to handle the ball, pull up or catch and shoot and elevate fluidly like a shooting guard is impressive, and he will only get better. He is already a great shot blocker/changer with great timing and body control so not to commit fouls. He does need to work on rebounding.
I think Durant is the wrong comparison. He's a modern day Kareem. This is the next evolution.

I cant believe you just compared this kid to Mark Eaton.

May be the most outrageous post of all time on this forum.

Looks just like Mark Eaton. 1 more 3 attempt and he ties Mark for career 3 attempts.

This may actually be Mark Eaton...

I can’t wait to see how he plays this year. He was relatively disappointing last season considering the hype around him but obviously put on an absolute show in the two games against Ignite. Curious to see how it translates into the regular season. For now, I think he’s still a bit overhyped; he’s obviously a very good prospect but I can’t get there with a lot of the takes from people saying he’s nearly the most valuable trade asset in the NBA already and stuff.

Greek freak but moves a little better and a pure shot and is 7-2 vs 6-11.
There is no way you actually think he moves better than Giannis.

I can’t wait to see how he plays this year. He was relatively disappointing last season considering the hype around him but obviously put on an absolute show in the two games against Ignite. Curious to see how it translates into the regular season. For now, I think he’s still a bit overhyped; he’s obviously a very good prospect but I can’t get there with a lot of the takes from people saying he’s nearly the most valuable trade asset in the NBA already and stuff.

There is no way you actually think he moves better than Giannis.

Maybe not better is the right term let's call it different. In a way I think his potential offensively as a pure scorer could be higher.

Mind you not talking about Giannis today but at the same age. To be very clear.

Last edited:
A few things:

This dude is absolutely comparable to KD at the same age. If you saw KD when he was 18/19, especially in person, it's totally fine to make this comparison for offense. His defensive prowess at the same time blows him away and not just bc of his height. This doesn't guarantee the same success, but you absolutely can compare them.

LeBron has a better handle than Zion. I can't believe I have to write that. Bron is going to end up fourth in all time assists. Just because he isn't Kyrie or Steph with the ball doesn't mean he isn't a great ballhandler. You use the assets you have.

Wemby's risk is health and more specifically his lower body. Everything else is green light for stardom.

I'm stealing this from Bill Simmons, but in terms of trade value, here is who would not be traded for Wemby, imo:
  • Def not: Giannis, Jokic, Luka
  • Players teams are at least listening to and not telling anyone publicly: Steph (no way they do this with Steph, he means too much to the bay but they are at least listening, Bron, Embiid.
  • See ya: KD (Nets would do this in a heart beat), Harden, Tatum, Booker, Ant Davis, Ja, CP3, Kawhi (he just is too injured and will never play a full season again bc of load management - and I love Kawhi), PG-13 (and you can fill in anyone after like Mitchell or KAT or younger guys with upside like Cade).
Here are the top four prospects of all time (in whatever order you want to say): Wilt, Kareem, Bron, Wemby.

A few things:

This dude is absolutely comparable to KD at the same age. If you saw KD when he was 18/19, especially in person, it's totally fine to make this comparison for offense. His defensive prowess at the same time blows him away and not just bc of his height. This doesn't guarantee the same success, but you absolutely can compare them.

LeBron has a better handle than Zion. I can't believe I have to write that. Bron is going to end up fourth in all time assists. Just because he isn't Kyrie or Steph with the ball doesn't mean he isn't a great ballhandler. You use the assets you have.

Wemby's risk is health and more specifically his lower body. Everything else is green light for stardom.

I'm stealing this from Bill Simmons, but in terms of trade value, here is who would not be traded for Wemby, imo:
  • Players teams are at least listening to and not telling anyone publicly: Steph (no way they do this with Steph, he means too much to the bay but they are at least listening, Bron, Embiid.
  • See ya: KD (Nets would do this in a heart beat), Harden, Tatum, Booker, Ant Davis, Ja, CP3, Kawhi (he just is too injured and will never play a full season again bc of load management - and I love Kawhi), PG-13 (and you can fill in anyone after like Mitchell or KAT or younger guys with upside like Cade).
Here are the top four prospects of all time (in whatever order you want to say): Wilt, Kareem, Bron, Wemby.

KD is a comparison because of the shooting. I still think in 4 years he could further resemble in terms of his game than Durant.

I do think his floor though is lower than both not that he will get there. To me his path could also be more Kristaps Porzingis ( no slouch of course) where he just doesn't fit all together. Also, given his age it's hard to predict how he develops into his body. He has some of that awkwardness we saw with Giannis back when he was still young and overseas. His frame I believe gives him more room to add weight and strength than Durant as well.

Will be interesting to see how things go for him.

KD is a comparison because of the shooting. I still think in 4 years he could further resemble in terms of his game than Durant.

I do think his floor though is lower than both not that he will get there. To me his path could also be more Kristaps Porzingis ( no slouch of course) where he just doesn't fit all together. Also, given his age it's hard to predict how he develops into his body. He has some of that awkwardness we saw with Giannis back when he was still young and overseas. His frame I believe gives him more room to add weight and strength than Durant as well.

Will be interesting to see how things go for him.

Good call outs. I will say, he missed this year's draft by four days and his improvements from last year to this year have been pretty big. I think it will end being very beneficial that he had to wait until the 2023 draft to go to the NBA.

A few things:

I’m just not there at all really. I need to see him not shoot 25% from 3 in France this year. He was obviously incredible against Ignite but I can’t put him on the same level as guys like Lebron if he just returns to relatively struggling overseas.

Maybe by the end of the year I’ll be swayed to thinking of Wemby as a top 10 asset in the NBA and stuff, but for now, I’m gonna slow play it and wait and see how he does this year. The beauty here is we should hopefully have an entire year to watch him some more and see if what he showed against Ignite was just a couple outlier nights or not.