Caitlin Clark | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Caitlin Clark

Her reasoning totally baffles me. You can agree or not about Clark but saying that the number of NCAA championships is the deciding factor for an individual is nuts. How many teammates were 5 stars , WNBA draftees etc that made the team better not just one specific teammate?

Lobo needs to shut the front door.

She was on LOADED teams.
Breanna was on LOADED teams.

CC’s impact on Iowa is not unlike Larry Bird with Indiana State.

Both were/are sublime talents, that elevated an otherwise nondescript group of role players into a superb team.

Nothing pisses me off more than the GOAT talk. I mean who really gives a damn. All these comparisons if who is better than someone else. Does it really matter? Means nothing. Era’s are different, style of play is different. Athletes are different in terms of their bodies, strength, etc.

I hate hate hate all this goat talk. Drives me up a wall.

Maybe its just me
I dont disagree. I think my biggest problem right now with all this talk is the amount of jelousy and shade Womens legends are giving CC. The girl is revolutionizing Womens basketball. Enjoy it and take it for whats its worth. But it seems like this UCONN contingent of former players are constantly trying to bring her down because she hasnt won anything.

Meanwhile, CC is forging her own path and bringing Iowa Program to a place its never been. Its very easy to go join a program that wins all the time and join other WNBA players and 5 star all americans. Its a completely different thing to go to a school with no history and create its own legacy. She is going to back to back national championships with a team, where not a single other player around her will go on to play in the WNBA. Maybe Stuelke becomes something, but the rest of the players have no shot of continuing to play basketball at the next level.

There was a lot of contact, but there were also so many more physical fouls they could have called during the game that they didn’t. On the turnover at halfcourt just before that final UConn possession, Edwards actually pulled Stulke away from the ball after she lost it. That could have been called but wasn’t because of the scrum.

I don’t think it was a moving pick, so
Geno was right to be hot. That said, not sad UConn lost. Hats off to the players for having a tremendous season after losing some key players. They are ballers, no doubt about it. But their fans are insufferable so, buh bye.

Geno showed why he is one of the all time best in the sport. Had a great game plan.

Was this the same officiating crew that did the SU men’s game against Ohio State in Boston? ;)
I agree lots of uncalled fouls both ways. I too was yelling at the TV and my wife on the Stulke hold. I agree Geno showed what a good coach he is, but no spilt milk with them losing.

Game also validated how good a player D. Fair is. She was guarded by the same Uconn player and when she had to, she got hers in the 4th quarter and fouled her out.

My only quibble, you are right that it was not a moving screen; it was more like a pulling guard but not enough for a full pancake.

From what I have seen on Social Media from people fighting the call

Started with - "No Foul"
Then - "Its a 50/50 call - you don't call that foul at that time"
Now - "OK its a foul, but here are some examples from NBA games where some movement was not called"

From what I have seen on Social Media from people fighting the call

Started with - "No Foul"
Then - "Its a 50/50 call - you don't call that foul at that time"
Now - "OK its a foul, but here are some examples from NBA games where some movement was not called"
Hahaha. In NBA every screen is illegal.

I dont disagree. I think my biggest problem right now with all this talk is the amount of jelousy and shade Womens legends are giving CC. The girl is revolutionizing Womens basketball. Enjoy it and take it for whats its worth. But it seems like this UCONN contingent of former players are constantly trying to bring her down because she hasnt won anything.

Meanwhile, CC is forging her own path and bringing Iowa Program to a place its never been. Its very easy to go join a program that wins all the time and join other WNBA players and 5 star all americans. Its a completely different thing to go to a school with no history and create its own legacy. She is going to back to back national championships with a team, where not a single other player around her will go on to play in the WNBA. Maybe Stuelke becomes something, but the rest of the players have no shot of continuing to play basketball at the next level.

It's really no different in big 4 men professional sports when older generations of former players don't give fair shakes to current players.

It's almost always has foundations on one thing - jealousy over the financial compensation of the current players. (Caitlin Clark certainly applies as I am sure she is making some decent change from NIL related endeavours at this time that they never had)

And sometimes on one other form of jealousy where it can be worse- the additional exposure or attention that athlete gets (Caitlin Clark certainly applies). I would say though for the men's professional sports that is typically not the case. They were icon's in 1980's for example - perhaps more than today. So perhaps that is the reason we will see perhaps more of it for Clark.

It was a tough call only because Edwards made a dumb foul at the toughest time in the game. That’s on her.
i think her sheer size and the whole predator look she was rockin' worked against her. hate to see a game end that way with a call away from the ball . 5 seconds left best be a foul on the winning/tie shot.

Last edited:

Her reasoning totally baffles me. You can agree or not about Clark but saying that the number of NCAA championships is the deciding factor for an individual is nuts. How many teammates were 5 stars , WNBA draftees etc that made the team better not just one specific teammate?
Just defending the UConn brand. Clark has lifted a team to the upper echelon. UConn was there when Stewart went. If Stewart went elsewhere, then she wouldn’t be the GOAT?

It's really no different in big 4 men professional sports when older generations of former players don't give fair shakes to current players.

It's almost always has foundations on one thing - jealousy over the financial compensation of the current players. (Caitlin Clark certainly applies as I am sure she is making some decent change from NIL related endeavours at this time that they never had)

And sometimes on one other form of jealousy where it can be worse- the additional exposure or attention that athlete gets (Caitlin Clark certainly applies). I would say though for the men's professional sports that is typically not the case. They were icon's in 1980's for example - perhaps more than today. So perhaps that is the reason we will see perhaps more of it for Clark.

Most sports work hard to sell the idea that you can watch the best ever RIGHT NOW. Montana was the best ever, then Brady - now the question is if Mahomes is better than Brady. From a marketing perspective it makes sense - you don’t want to tell your customers they are paying more for an inferior product (baseball took a long time to figure this out, I’d argue that the fact people were still calling Ruth the best ever when I was a kid had a small part in the declining interest in the 70s).

Part of that now is having former athletes in media roles as part of the pitch. Most former NBA guys on TV are going to pitch LeBron as the best ever - they might think Jordan was really better, but they know their role. It might take a while for women’s analysts to get pushed in the same direction - they can have any personal opinion they want, but selling the current product is what they are being paid to do - my biggest criticism of Lobo is she’s failing to do what’s she’s being paid to do.

Geno had a very good game plan how he doubled Clark from her blind side most of the game.
And much respect for Muhl.

Had to guard 2 of the top 5 scorers in NCAA history and did a helluva job.
But the last play was Geno"s fault.
With 9 seconds left you get the inbounds pass to your best player, and let her make a play
Paige should have taken the inbounds pass not Muhl.

Wayyyy too much talk about that call. It was a foul.

NIT championship game, ISU was fouled 2 times in the last 8 seconds & there was no call.

The different rules for a moment argument is bogus.

Some merit to the you called it there, but not here argument, for sure.

Last edited:
I’m surprised with Caitlin. She has absolutely no mid range or pull up game. It’s either a three or a layup. She could get pull ups around the foul line all game but can’t pull up.
You could say that about 80-90% of players in the NBA.

I have to laugh though the media asking UConn grads their opinion on the call. Come on.
That was embarrassing. Then Scott Van Pelt and Taurasi were waxing poetic on how Clark would struggle at the next level because "she'll be playing against grown women." Instead of appreciating Clark's talents and achievements they're hating on her. I can understand Taurasi a little bit with the UConn connection but SVP looked like a clown.

Incredible ratings but the highest ratings on record for the NCAAT was 40 million for the Michigan State/Indiana State game. This game last night was the highest rating for an ESPN game - women or men.

Always liked Taurasi despite her UConn affiliation, but I expect Clark will do just fine in the WNBA and win multiple titles putting up huge numbers. She plays like the female version of Lebron or Luka. The UConn women remind me of some of these guys who have played at Duke or UK on the men’s side. I have a lot of respect for Clark because she’s carried that program instead of being on a team with multiple 5 stars.

Always liked Taurasi despite her UConn affiliation, but I expect Clark will do just fine in the WNBA and win multiple titles putting up huge numbers. She plays like the female version of Lebron or Luka. The UConn women remind me of some of these guys who have played at Duke or UK on the men’s side. I have a lot of respect for Clark because she’s carried that program instead of being on a team with multiple 5 stars.
Exactly. And once she plays with other great players next season, her passing ability will be magnified along with more floor spacing to help her with her outside shooting. If I played ball, I would want to be her teammate, because she would make me a better player.

Incredible ratings but the highest ratings on record for the NCAAT was 40 million for the Michigan State/Indiana State game. This game last night was the highest rating for an ESPN game - women or men.

Comparing ratings from 1979 - when most people had 4 channels still - to today really doesn’t work.

14.2MM would beat the lower rated men’s semi every year except one going back to 2016, and a couple years it would beat both men’s semis rating. Syracuse - Texas in 2003 got 12.6MM.

The question now is if this is a one-off event, or can the women’s Final Four draw 9-10MM+ sustainably going forward.

Comparing ratings from 1979 - when most people had 4 channels still - to today really doesn’t work.

14.2MM would beat the lower rated men’s semi every year except one going back to 2016, and a couple years it would beat both men’s semis rating. Syracuse - Texas in 2003 got 12.6MM.

The question now is if this is a one-off event, or can the women’s Final Four draw 9-10MM+ sustainably going forward.
Not to mention that the US population has grown by more than 50% since 1979. I was just pointing out the distinction between ESPN's highest ratings and the overall highest ratings in college hoops when it comes to the NCAAT. ESPN has never done a Men's F4 game.

I tend to think it's a one-off event unless they can clone CC every year.

Not to mention that the US population has grown by more than 50% since 1979. I was just pointing out the distinction between ESPN's highest ratings and the overall highest ratings in college hoops when it comes to the NCAAT. ESPN has never done a Men's F4 game.

I tend to think it's a one-off event unless they can clone CC every year.

From 2016 - 2022, the women’s championship game drew between 3-5MM. Last year drew 10MM, this year will likely be over 15MM. Just dropping back to last year and holding would be a huge win for the sport - without knowing anything about how next season plays out I’d expect it will be closer to 7-8MM which would still show signs of potentially sustainable growth occuring. Worst case is they drop all the way back to historical ratings and get only 5MM or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom