Can Edwards be any worse ???? | Syracusefan.com

Can Edwards be any worse ????

newmexicuse

All Conference
If so, that is really, really pathetic.

Q needs to start, he is our only front court player who mixes it up.

There is not enough talent for their to be answers, but that does not mean that things cannot be alleviated at least a little bit.

The lineup needs drastic changes, but JB’s loyalty to upperclassmen will prevent many of those changes from happening.

The team literally couldn’t be worse. We’re at zero out of ten. Play the guys you think are trash, JB, and see what happens. It doesn’t get worse than zero, so there’s nothing to lose.

Picture Girard, Eli, Braswell, Guerrier, Edwards vs. Girard, Buddy, Eli, Marek, Sidibe.

Who wins? Vegas would probably set the line at pick ‘em. Yet that first team has 2 guys who won’t see the light of day in ACC play

Last edited by a moderator:
not a big enuf sample size on edwards for me to make a full evaluation.

No, Edwards cannot be worse than Sidibe. Almost no body that is warm could be worse. Not his fault, we've known it for several years now. Guerrier must start and Sidibe should never see the court again.

Picture Girard, Eli, Braswell, Guerrier, Edwards
Hmmmmm, only one guard. Other than that, I'm all in. Give it a shot for eight minutes and see what happens. Hey, the way it's going right now what have we got to lose. Buddy and Goodine as bench guards. Sidibe and Marek as bench forwards. Give Washington some time (another what have we got to lose).

Shake it up, rattle it around and roll with it for a while.

The lineup needs drastic changes, but JB’s loyalty to upperclassmen will prevent many of those changes from happening.

The team literally couldn’t be worse. We’re at zero out of ten. Play the guys you think are trash, JB, and see what happens. It doesn’t get worse than zero, so there’s nothing to lose.

Picture Girard, Eli, Braswell, Guerrier, Edwards vs. Girard, Buddy, Eli, Marek, Sidibe.

Who wins? Vegas would probably set the line at pick ‘em. Yet that first team has 2 guys who won’t see the light of day in ACC play

How about something even crazier -- let Hughes run the squad a la Gbinije, with Buddy, Braswell, Guerrier, and your pick of center.

I’m totally done with marek at the 5. What could you possibly see that would say that’s a good idea. He’s getting abused day in and day out done there. Give me Edwards

It would help if other players (in addition to Marek himself) boxed out. It's been at least 10 years since I've seen a Syracuse team with more than one player that actually attempts to box anybody out. Might be my biggest issue with Boeheim above everything else. The zone makes it difficult to rebound to begin with, but we quite literally do not try to rebound on a year in and year out basis.

Regarding the rebounding, just for what it's worth: even through his injuries, Sidibe has been #1 on the team in rebounds per 40 minutes 2 of 3 years and he was #2 the other year and this year is his best start. Edwards isn't even in double digits per 40 (though he's significantly higher than Dolezaj).

Edwards would be worse than Sid. My hope is that Edwards can give us some meaningful minutes halfway through the ACC season. He has a lot of athletic ability but is a raw talent at center right now.

Edwards would be worse than Sid. My hope is that Edwards can give us some meaningful minutes halfway through the ACC season. He has a lot of athletic ability but is a raw talent at center right now.

Agreed, he’s not ready to start. Sidibe has at least played well against the bad teams. That’s a start.

Edwards looks very raw, agreed. We’re not going anywhere anyway though and he’s at least tall and athletic and has shown a nice touch. Give the backup minutes to the guy that’s actually a center. Marek is terrible at center. What’s the point of him getting those minutes? What is it accomplishing?

How about something even crazier -- let Hughes run the squad a la Gbinije, with Buddy, Braswell, Guerrier, and your pick of center.

This seems like the most reasonable way to address our issues. Hughes should be running PG at this point...

Also, I'd personally beg Carey to come back and play SG in limited minutes - give him light duties like Buddy last year, let him focus in on a couple things, defense, let him just be an athlete out there, and keep him away from PG.

Let JGIII take some minutes at PG, and SG as needed.

Buddy can start, because he simply must, but minutes should drop to far more reasonable levels for someone that limited.

Let Guerrier have minutes...lots of 'em.

It would help if other players (in addition to Marek himself) boxed out. It's been at least 10 years since I've seen a Syracuse team with more than one player that actually attempts to box anybody out. Might be my biggest issue with Boeheim above everything else. The zone makes it difficult to rebound to begin with, but we quite literally do not try to rebound on a year in and year out basis.
Hughes is pretty bad at boxing out. He's our best player, but his defense is rough, other than the occasional weak side block.

Eli at the 2 is the thing that’s the most interesting. I don’t see Edwards as any sort of upgrade on sidibe necessarily but I think we need buddy to be more of a 20-25 mpg guy and as for the edwards/Braswell combo — not sure I see a reason to sit them on the bench.

Marek — 25 mpg
Sidibe — 20 mpg
Edwards — 10-12 mpg
Guerrier — 20-25 mpg
Buddy — 20 mpg
Eli — 36-38 mpg
Girard — 30 mpg
Goodine — 10-12 mpg
Braswell — 15 mpg

I know that doesn’t add up to 200 but I’m not sure there’s a huge reason to keep any of those guys buried on the bench since none are necessarily out of eligibility next year.

Anyway, I’m with the idea of trying Eli at the 2 for 15 mpg just to get a more physical lineup on the floor

I don't know if this is a offense vs defense thread but there is no reason that Eli shouldn't be the PG. Plus hopefully the coaches are putting a few high picks into game plan to help Buddy and JG3. These guys are struggling and getting them some more open looks wouldn't hurt.

On defense there is no reason this team or any team gets out rebounded by such a large margin. Put Marek/Braswell at the three, QG at the four and Sid/Edwards at the five and have all three positions crash the boards. This won't help our transition defense but it could help less fast break opportunities for our opponents.

I like Edwards potential, but he was getting pushed around against Bucknell defensively. He had no chance vs Watkins

Yes, he would be. He needs to be lifting weights 6 days a week so that by next season he can add 20-30 pounds to his frame.

And Sid and marek weren’t obliterated ?

Have you seen how "big" Edwards is? Do you really want to put him in that spot a couple of games into his collegiate career right there? I guess you do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom