Can Someone Explain the Pascal Chukwu | Syracusefan.com

Can Someone Explain the Pascal Chukwu

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
signing and what our strategy is for scholarship allocation? He is our 11th scholarship athlete next season.

If we don't get a victory on appeal then I think that means we are deferring the start of the penalty for a year. Given that it feels like we've already started serving it with the loss of TB, I would hate to not have the penalty reduced and have it deferred a year.....especially for a guy who can't help the team next year....no matter how good he might be down the road.

I like a 7'2" center as much as the next guy, but they all too often end up being projects. If we only have 10 available ships, we can't afford a project...even if he is 7'2".

Please help me understand.

signing and what our strategy is for scholarship allocation? He is our 11th scholarship athlete next season.

If we don't get a victory on appeal then I think that means we are deferring the start of the penalty for a year. Given that it feels like we've already started serving it with the loss of TB, I would hate to not have the penalty reduced and have it deferred a year...especially for a guy who can't help the team next year...no matter how good he might be down the road.

I like a 7'2" center as much as the next guy, but they all too often end up being projects. If we only have 10 available ships, we can't afford a project...even if he is 7'2".

Lets just say, it would be shocking if we didnt get at least a schollie or 2 back per year.

pedophile state ended up with less penalties than we did-

carolina has been doing stuff way worse than we did for 20 plus years -

our penalties will be greatly reduced

Lets just say, it would be shocking if we didnt get at least a schollie or 2 back per year.
no it would not be shocking. for example, I expect any relief would be more likely to trim the 4th year off than to trim any on the per-year basis.

If we don't get a victory on appeal then I think that means we are deferring the start of the penalty for a year. Given that it feels like we've already started serving it with the loss of TB, I would hate to not have the penalty reduced and have it deferred a year...especially for a guy who can't help the team next year...no matter how good he might be down the road.

has anyone mentioned the possibility that he will not be on scholarship in the season he sits out?

Sean Williams was 6-11 and about as much of a project as has ever existed in the basketball world. Chukwu is 7-2 and was the #61 ranked player in America as a HS senior.

Jekelish I realize that he's a better prospect than Williams. I guess the point I was trying to make (poorly) was that I don't get too crazy over a kid purely over his height.

Sean Williams was 6-11 and about as much of a project as has ever existed in the basketball world. Chukwu is 7-2 and was the #61 ranked player in America as a HS senior.

Sean Williams was 6-9.

has anyone mentioned the possibility that he will not be on scholarship in the season he sits out?
He will be on ship in the year he sits out.

Reactions: 007
why would it?

I had that same question in my head.

Can't he transfer to Syracuse and receive a academic scholarship for 15/16 and then walk on for 16/17 and be offered a scholarship at that time. Or is there some super special transfer rule that you can transfer, but you can't play the first year, but it still counts as a athletic scholarship?

I had that same question in my head.

Can't he transfer to Syracuse and receive a academic scholarship for 15/16 and then walk on for 16/17 and be offered a scholarship at that time. Or is there some super special transfer rule that you can transfer, but you can't play the first year, but it still counts as a athletic scholarship?

I have think there's a rule against that...it sounds too much like stashing football players on the track team.

+1

The Rules do not limit the number of "players available to step on the Court" .. they limit the number of (D-1 MBB) athletes who can receive financial aid (scholarships). Under the Rules, if Chukwu transfers to SU, he must take required classes for one year (fall/spring) to remain eligible to play the following year. During that time. if he receives qualifying financial aid (room/board/tuition/meals etc), he's a "counter" against the NCAA mens' BB D-1 scholarship limits. The limit is normally 13. However, under NCAA sanctions, our limit is 10 -- beginning either this coming year (15-16) or the following year (16-17) depending on our election given existing financial aid commitments. We currently have 10 players on scholarship (4 coming in/6 returning), Chukwu brings us to 11 for the upcoming season. Therefore, unless the sanctions change (on appeal), we will have to delay the onset of scholarship limits, assuming Chuwku is receiving financial aid -- because he counts against the financial aid (scholarship) limit whether he's playing or sitting out (same as for a RS).

Here are the existing rules that apply (NCAA bylaws 2014-15 are I believe currently in force, and not changed as far as I know for next year on transfers/scholarship rules):

Scholarship Limit for MBB D-1: Article 15.5.5.1
Transfer Rules (to a 4 years school): 14.5.5.1
"Counting" scholarships/aid against the 13 limit: 15.02.3; 15.5.1

Link: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools..._non_event/2014-15-ncaa-division-1-manual.pdf

Last edited:
The Rules do not limit the number of "players available to step on the Court" .. they limit the number of (D-1 MBB) athletes who can receive financial aid (scholarships). Under the Rules, if Chukwu transfers to SU, he must take required classes for one year (fall/spring) to remain eligible to play the following year. During that time. if he receives qualifying financial aid (room/board/tuition/meals etc), he's a "counter" against the NCAA mens' BB D-1 scholarship limits. The limit is normally 13. However, under NCAA sanctions, our limit is 10 -- beginning either this coming year (15-16) or the following year (16-17) depending on our election given existing financial aid commitments. We currently have 10 players on scholarship (4 coming in/6 returning), Chukwu brings us to 11 for the upcoming season. Therefore, unless the sanctions change (on appeal), we will have to delay the onset of scholarship limits, assuming Chuwku is receiving financial aid -- because he counts against the financial aid (scholarship) limit whether he's playing or sitting out (same as for a RS).

Here are the existing rules that apply (NCAA bylaws 2014-15 are I believe currently in force, and not changed as far as I know for next year on transfers/scholarship rules):

Scholarship Limit for MBB D-1: Article 15.5.5.1
Transfer Rules (to a 4 years school): 14.5.5.1
"Counting" scholarships/aid against the 13 limit: 15.02.3; 15.5.1

Link: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools..._non_event/2014-15-ncaa-division-1-manual.pdf
Question: Are Merit scholarships "qualifying financial aid". Normally, financial aid is needs based.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom