Can the Post Standard stop with the BS? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can the Post Standard stop with the BS?

Okay. I refuse to read Bud because he's extremely out of touch and antiquated. So show me this 90% negativity thing. Give me articles.
So if you refuse to read Bud, how could you say it is "100% false"?

First of all, that's 100% false. They don't go out of their way to be negative. Bud's a columnist, not a reporter. He gives opinions, not facts. That's his job, and every paper in the country has columnists. Also, he's terrible. But Bailey's articles yesterday were just straight info - Dunk to transfer, injury report.

Second, it's not their job to promote the program. They're the most accessible and visible news source and by far the best. Their job is to ask and answer questions, get a feel for what's going on, have a finger on the pulse. They're not supposed to report how wonderful everything is, even if that's what people want to hear.

Nobody is asking them to promote the program and only print positive news about the program. I just don't think it is unreasonable to complain about the constant "New York Post" type content that they produce. I mean seriously, if Syracuse beats BC this weekend, does Bud write an article on Monday listing potential landing spots for Dino's next gig? Only to follow that article up with another about how Syracuse doesn't do enough to keep its best coaches?

I agree with all that, but I will say it again: you can write an article about negative things from a viewpoint that takes the readers passion for the program into account. Waters on the Bball side is a ninja Jedi master at that stuff.

The football guys seem to delight in delivering bad news.

It's a bad look.
Blame the Media group that owns the PS as this is obviously what they think sells...and maybe it does.

So if you refuse to read Bud, how could you say it is "100% false"?
Because you made a claim that 90% of his stuff is slanted. So prove it.

My "100% False" claim about sensationalism and trolling and negativity is based on my news background and experience as a morning show producer.

When Bud took his shots at Missy after FHCSS was fired that sealed the deal on how much of a clown this guy is for me.

yep, you can't get too much lower than that, although Bud does strive for it.

What is the point for that Dino article? Obviously it's clickbait, but what a terrible piece of sports journalism.

That guy continues to baffle me, and I'm sure many of you.

Of course Dino will always be on bigger schools' radar, but do you need to bring it up 7 games into his 1st season? Lol, give me a break, guy.

Because you made a claim that 90% of his stuff is slanted. So prove it.

My "100% False" claim about sensationalism and trolling and negativity is based on my news background and experience as a morning show producer.

Listen, we get it. You'll always defend the media even if they're wrong. That said, Bud is awful and I know you agree with that point of view.

I think every insecurity Bud has in his life just came pouring out in that one article.

Last edited:
First of all, that's 100% false. They don't go out of their way to be negative. Bud's a columnist, not a reporter. He gives opinions, not facts. That's his job, and every paper in the country has columnists. Also, he's terrible. But Bailey's articles yesterday were just straight info - Dunk to transfer, injury report.

Second, it's not their job to promote the program. They're the most accessible and visible news source and by far the best. Their job is to ask and answer questions, get a feel for what's going on, have a finger on the pulse. They're not supposed to report how wonderful everything is, even if that's what people want to hear.

Thank you for introducing some wisdom and perspective to the discussion.

Bud is awful, and does not deserve a defense.

But the syracuse.com coverage otherwise is not only well done, it's the best coverage of the program since I started following SU football in the 1970s, full stop.

Bud really seems to get a kick out of trolling the SU fanbase with articles like this. Much what he writes expresses a bit of contempt for the program
Bud is a UConn graduate. I think that pretty much tells you all you need to know.

I get it, the media needs drama to survive but is the Bud article about Dino being a hot commodity for other schools really necessary already? He's been our coach for 10 freaking minutes. Between Buds nonsense and Bailey's constant negative tweets it gets ridiculous after awhile.

Positive energy for Syracuse football not only helps the program, it helps the PS too. The more people excited about this program, the more willing to read the constant that the PS spits out. Yet at every opportunity they do what they can to push negativity and steer away the intrigued fan.

You read a Bud P. column?

Bud actually has written at least 4-5 positive articles this season regarding the team. Generally he sucks but 90% of his articles are not negative. He's actually probably a net positive since this new staff took over.

Opinion pieces from two different writers. Bailey also clarified his "honeymoon" comments on Twitter. He said he was implying the fans only have faith so far, and losing to Wake left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Bud just has no idea what's going on.

Sorry--I didn't read the twitter follow ups that were apparently required to interpret what was implied by the asinine original article.

Otherwise, agree about Bud's style. He really has been awful for a long time--decades.

Sorry--I didn't read the twitter follow ups that were apparently required to interpret what was implied by the asinine original article.
There are exceptions to every rule and every writer has missteps. But to hold up one bad commentary as evidence of bias or negativity or hackery is just looking for an excuse.

There are exceptions to every rule and every writer has missteps. But to hold up one bad commentary as evidence of bias or negativity or hackery is just looking for an excuse.

I'm not sure what that has to do with my response.

It seems to me that you are making a general defense of the media, and not factoring in what a lousy writer Bud has consistently been over the entire duration of his career. I couldn't care less whether he is negative, or whether the number is 90% versus 100% versus 5%. What I DO know is that the vast majority of Bud's articles belong on the bottom of a bird cage.

And that in a situation where numerous top notch writers for the PS were recently shown the door, it is a shame that Bud was amongst those retained.

I'm not sure what that has to do with my response.

It seems to me that you are making a general defense of the media, and not factoring in what a lousy writer Bud has consistently been over the entire duration of his career. I couldn't care less whether he is negative, or whether the number is 90% versus 100% versus 5%. What I DO know is that the vast majority of Bud's articles belong on the bottom of a bird cage.

And that in a situation where numerous top notch writers for the PS were recently shown the door, it is a shame that Bud was amongst those retained.
Oh, I'm not defending Bud at all. He's horrid. I was talking about Bailey.

click bait to incite the commenters, that is all. It's already got 80+ comments on the story as of today. I refuse to read it, cannot stand Bud's writing. I understand that syracuse.com needs the traffic to sell the advertising but sometimes it goes way over the line. I also would not be surprised if their employer requires X amount of hits to their stories per month. Bud's been mailing it in for a while now, a negative slant is a lazy person's way to get the clicks