Can the Post Standard stop with the BS? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Can the Post Standard stop with the BS?

1970 to about 2000 was the Golden Age for newspapers. They were funded, respected, made money, etc.

Websites are much more like newspapers of 100 years ago - newer, operators are still trying to figure out their potential and how to make money. That means less hard news, like old newspapers.

This is especially so with respect to staffing. To have in-depth coverage of local, state and federal government, courts, police, education, medical and all those things that were taken for granted before newspapers went into decline, proper staffing in the newsroom was critical. Once news staffs were decimated because of declining economics, it was no longer possible/feasible to provide coverage at the same level.

Inevitably there is more picking off low-hanging fruit, but there is also more ability to interact with the reader in digital journalism than there was with the newspaper.

For whatever reason, the resources devoted to covering SU sports are as great or greater than they have been over the last 40 years. This includes the number of journalists and their ability to travel to road games, which is no longer a given at some newspapers similar in size to the Post Standard/syracuse.com that have sadly taken to picking up AP wire reports.

First of all, that's 100% false. They don't go out of their way to be negative. Bud's a columnist, not a reporter. He gives opinions, not facts. That's his job, and every paper in the country has columnists. Also, he's terrible. But Bailey's articles yesterday were just straight info - Dunk to transfer, injury report.

Second, it's not their job to promote the program. They're the most accessible and visible news source and by far the best. Their job is to ask and answer questions, get a feel for what's going on, have a finger on the pulse. They're not supposed to report how wonderful everything is, even if that's what people want to hear.
To sum this up:

Bud sucks at life.

Honestly, Syracuse football does not need 4 dedicated football writers (we have 2 for bball for christs sake).

Bailey and Carlson are quality journalists. Bailey will ask ANY question during pressers. He will be on to bigger and better things very shortly. Carlson is really good on the longer features. Really enjoy reading both of their stuff.

Bud needs to be put out to pasture. Straight awful. When you mention Purdue as a possible landing spot for Dino, you simply don't know CFB. If you need a columnist, Carlson could fill that role in a heartbeat.

And Nate Mink is creative and has some nice features (see: recent Matt Park article), but he doesn't ask any questions during pressers. He's an OK writer who seems rather disinterested about Syracuse football (which makes sense since hes a PSU guy).

No, but "ramrod" was. Take a drink.
latest

I've noticed they average one bad article every week this past month. This week was Buds turn. Bud takes lots of turns. I have begun skipping his articles. Part of what I find awful is they appear to have no editorial oversight. Whatever the writers spew out gets published as is. I've read multiple mistakes and errors this season.

If they stopped giving opinions and just did straight reporting it would be a vast improvement because their opinions are often just stupid.

I have been following sports for a number of years and I don't want to hurt the guys feelings... But

He is the absolute worst journalist within North America. Sometimes I read them out load at work just so people can hear.

i saw the article but did not click, as that is exactly what they want. bud is a poor mans jerry izenberg, difference is jerry is an excellent journalist,thought provoking etc. bud is step above a tabloid. the only way to deal with bud is by not reading or commenting on his stuff