Can we recruit a true #1 WR | Syracusefan.com

Can we recruit a true #1 WR

upperdeck

Living Legend
I think we have a good #2 and a bunch of #3's. Can Babers find a way to get a real #1 threat and move all the rest down a level ? Some of these teams like Baylor have 3-4 #1 type WRs with speed and size. Would it be too much for us to get one ? if not that then at least someone like say a Maurice Jackson type who could stretch the D once in a while? Isnt it time for a Kevin Johnson type to come back to the Dome with this offense?

I'm pretty sure we'll have a few soon. Might not be this cycle but next cycle yes.

I think we have a good #2 and a bunch of #3's. Can Babers find a way to get a real #1 threat and move all the rest down a level ? Some of these teams like Baylor have 3-4 #1 type WRs with speed and size. Would it be too much for us to get one ? if not that then at least someone like say a Maurice Jackson type who could stretch the D once in a while? Isnt it time for a Kevin Johnson type to come back to the Dome with this offense?

I'm not sure if it's completely accurate to say Baylor has 3 - 4 #1 type WR's. I think they have very good WR's, good coaching, and an amazing system that makes their WR's and offensive players in general look significantly better than they would in a different system.

Since 2006 Baylor has only had 4 WR's taken in the NFL draft.
Round 7, 6, 3, and 1

I think this system will make our current guys look great and will help recruit better talent starting next cycle at the latest.

No worries. At all.

Will we need one in Babers's system? Honest question.

I think Ish is a #1.
maybe, but I would like to think a #1 could get open in press coverage or run by a teams corner occasionally. He has decent enough hands, I think scheme will get him more catches next year, but he wouldnt be in the top 1-2 on many of the passing teams that we hope SU can emulate soon.

My question is do we have enough WR's that can block effectively on the edges to make this offense work. I remember the glaring absence of any WR being able to hold a block on the edges when McFu--Face was running the offense.

maybe, but I would like to think a #1 could get open in press coverage or run by a teams corner occasionally. He has decent enough hands, I think scheme will get him more catches next year, but he wouldnt be in the top 1-2 on many of the passing teams that we hope SU can emulate soon.

He blew by his share. Running good routes helps. He also goes up and gets the ball in traffic well enough.

No one got by FSU or Clemson's CB well.

My question is do we have enough WR's that can block effectively on the edges to make this offense work. I remember the glaring absence of any WR being able to hold a block on the edges when McFu--Face was running the offense.

I'd say thats the area we improved the most from 2014 > 2015 on offense. That and not committing offsides.

Will we need one in Babers's system? Honest question.

I don't really think we will. Just need system guys, much like Sales and Lemon their senior years. Smart, system, heady receivers. Everybody wants an NFL type receiver in college can't always get there. We have had one or two in 15 years. Williams and Taj Smith.

Would be great to have one but odds are against it

I'm not sure if it's completely accurate to say Baylor has 3 - 4 #1 type WR's. I think they have very good WR's, good coaching, and an amazing system that makes their WR's and offensive players in general look significantly better than they would in a different system.

Since 2006 Baylor has only had 4 WR's taken in the NFL draft.
Round 7, 6, 3, and 1

EXACTLY. well coached, system savy guys

If we somehow reel in this Fitzpatrick kid he is a true #1 possibly as early as this upcoming season

He's also entering his true Junior year. How soon do you expect people to be a #1?

Well Ridley is a 21 year old freshmen from Alabama a year removed from high school. Maybe we need to recruit 20 year old men first before 18 year old kids.

Number 1 recievers are overrated and becoming a dime a dozen like running backs. Look at the NFL, the big, diva wrs of the 80's, 90's, and early 2000's are dinosaurs. Where has megatron gotten the lions. Its all about capable, smart, and sure handed guys being schemed open by a system and a qb that throws them open. We dont need 4-5 star guys in this system. Ish and Lewis could kill it in this system. Look at the pats, the scheme and brady gets guys open.

Well Ridley is a 21 year old freshmen from Alabama a year removed from high school. Maybe we need to recruit 20 year old men first before 18 year old kids.

We did with estime. Pretty sure he's a 23 year old junior?

He's also entering his true Junior year. How soon do you expect people to be a #1?
i wish we had the true FR from Ala but not sure we ever get that kind of kid.. or the true Fr who played for Ole Miss last year. Maybe he develops into a better WR but i dont think he ever gets faster or quicker, hopefully stronger and runs better routes.

most of our WR need to run better routes for that matter. maybe this system just makes them better and we will be fine.

Number 1 recievers are overrated and becoming a dime a dozen like running backs. Look at the NFL, the big, diva wrs of the 80's, 90's, and early 2000's are dinosaurs. Where has megatron gotten the lions. Its all about capable, smart, and sure handed guys being schemed open by a system and a qb that throws them open. We dont need 4-5 star guys in this system. Ish and Lewis could kill it in this system. Look at the pats, the scheme and brady gets guys open.
ok, cool - all we need is Rothlesberger or Tom Brady at quarterback and we're good

if there's one thing that Syracuse always has on the roster, it's plenty of elite, NFL level quarterbacks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom