Can we talk about the play calling? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Can we talk about the play calling?

Cordy never turns and looks for the ball. There were times last night that if he just turned his head he might have been able to make a play on the ball. Iffy can get away with that because he is tall with long arms. Cordy well lets just say he is vertically challenged like me. Refs were horrible last night. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how many times the Clemson wide outs pushed off last night and Syracuse got called for pass interference.

Gotta say, trying to stay on the side of being constructive, but I don't know why Cordy's playing so much this year. He's always been a Shafer type of guy, looking for a big pop rather than wrapping up his tackles. And coverage skills aren't his strong suit. So it's been weird to see him on the field so much.

Obviously his whiff on the long touchdown was crushing, but we see these mistakes in non-highlight situations the last two weeks as well.

Gotta stay, trying to stay on the side of being constructive, but I don't know why Cordy's playing so much this year. He's always been a Shafer type of guy, looking for a big pop rather than wrapping up his tackles. And coverage skills aren't his strong suit. So it's been weird to see him on the field so much.

Obviously his whiff on the long touchdown was crushing, but we see these mistakes in non-highlight situations the last two weeks as well.
If Trill needs to be at CB then god damn put Stritz or even Coley in the nickel. Scoop would be better too. I just do not understand this anymore. We’ve watched this for 5-6 years. Im beside myself at this point.

If no one else will say it I will.

That dropped pass on the first drive killed us. The crowd would have been roaring and its a game of momentum inches.

Its time to see changes in who gets snaps at WR.

Same suspects giving up on plays. That is whats disappointing. Give the bigger guys a shot, cannot be worse.

Yeah, of all guys, I'm surprised in Harris. Maybe he's played dinged up? I don't remember drops being a problem last season for him.

Yeah, of all guys, I'm surprised in Harris. Maybe he's played dinged up? I don't remember drops being a problem last season for him.

I don’t either, and I really don’t want to pick on players but if he can’t catch the ball right now he cannot be out there. He’s not physical enough to make up for it. At least Butler blocked.

Riley and Johnson too. These guys are supposed to be leader personalities, and they stop on plays when Tommy’s running for his life trying to find anyone open.

Dungey wasn’t a regular college QB, you can’t rely on your pocket passer to risk his wellbeing every other play because you make a bad read or give up on the play. It’s very concerning.

cordy made way more plays than he missed last night.. his coverage was solid. cant help that he is short.

Recruits dumpster fire OL.

Runs pocket passer / power run scheme.

Cooooool.

I do think the line will improve once Heckel gets back/Vetterello develops. But it would be nice to get another big recruit or two on the line.

Im not going to defend cordy here but those clemson wrs made those plays over alabamas dbs in the championship last year.

We played clemson better than bama last year and we returned the same db’s. Would have preferred Scoop last night, or Stritz.

Not defending Cordy but almost nobody, or no combination of 2 SU DB’s could put the Clemson WR’s down. Even when the WR’s were paying attention to catching or getting out of bounds, our guys tried putting them down and just rolled off them. Clemson size/talent was incredible

Not defending Cordy but almost nobody, or no combination of 2 SU DB’s could put the Clemson WR’s down. Even when the WR’s were paying attention to catching or getting out of bounds, our guys tried putting them down and just rolled off them. Clemson size/talent was incredible
Not arguing that, but lets give ourselves a better chance. Scoop or Stritz.

Finally home ... thanks for the support I need it ! Clemson’s superior talent showed we need to put it behind us and get creative with our play calling I’m sure DINO will be able to do more vs teams not named Clemson. ? How did the penalties look for anyone who watched on tv ? Seemed like we were getting hosed ? Be fair how was it ?

No surprises, no misdirection, the same old stuff against the No. 1 team in the country.

Plus, every single running play we have is straight up the middle.

How on earth do we expect to be successful when our play calling is this easily scouted, especially with the deficiencies we have on the offensive line.

We miss Sean Lewis. In a bad way.
If everybody in the stands knows what play is coming, I promise you the number one team in the country with a defense led by Brent Venables knows too. Needed to mix it up and we didn’t.

Finally home ... thanks for the support I need it ! Clemson’s superior talent showed we need to put it behind us and get creative with our play calling I’m sure DINO will be able to do more vs teams not named Clemson. ? How did the penalties look for anyone who watched on tv ? Seemed like we were getting hosed ? Be fair how was it ?

I was at the game too but imo felt like we could have been called for even more PI than we were.

There were a handful of questionable calls, but I feel like we more or less were helped and hurt by them equally.

It was a random, mixed bag of PI calls, and no-calls.
We got a few lucky no-calls, but also some really weak PI calls against.

What’s remarkable is, that all of Clemson’s big, physical WR’s didn’t have a single OPI called.

Amazing! God Bless America!

If no one else will say it I will.

That dropped pass on the first drive killed us. The crowd would have been roaring and its a game of momentum inches.

Its time to see changes in who gets snaps at WR.

Same suspects giving up on plays. That is whats disappointing. Give the bigger guys a shot, cannot be worse.

There were at least 4-5 missed plays on offense that if we made, it would've been a close game well into the 4th.

If everybody in the stands knows what play is coming, I promise you the number one team in the country with a defense led by Brent Venables knows too. Needed to mix it up and we didn’t.

There was one play that was so very telling — and maybe this was on the QB/team and not the OC — but it was 2nd & 1, we hurry to the line and right before we hike the ball the safety comes up, blitzes and stuffs a very easily sniffed out run up the middle.

It was as if he had been coached to see a tendency and if we show one look, he should blitz. Just one of many examples.

The offense can't be s e xy when it's foundation (the offensive line) is as bad as it is. I'm a Devito critic as well and trust me, he deserves a ton of it, but you can't call anything for him that takes time because of how bad the protection is. I'm stunned how bad they are. If one player going down can cause this to happen, there are bigger issues at hand.
Exactly.
We have a few weeks to improve. WMU will play tough but they aren't MD or Clemson.
We will get better.

He had alligator arms on the first series.

We played clemson better than bama last year and we returned the same db’s. Would have preferred Scoop last night, or Stritz.

I get your point but you also have to admit that scoop or stritz (not sure what he has proven) might not have made the desired plays either.