Can you believe this team went to the Final Four? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Can you believe this team went to the Final Four?

I take Buddy over Cooney any day of the week.

Much better offensive player. Cooney a much better defensive player. I think ultimately I’d go with Buddy as I think there’s more hustlers that can get hot from 3 out there than there are pure great shooters.

Much better offensive player. Cooney a much better defensive player. I think ultimately I’d go with Buddy as I think there’s more hustlers that can get hot from 3 out there than there are pure great shooters.

Buddy would have a lot of open looks on a team that had G, Eli, Mali, and Lydon.

So, let's consider that lineup for a second.

G and Eli up top, both big and very athletic. Mali and or Buddy at the 3, basically spotting up from 3. Lydon manning the pivot, but as a modern big capable of hitting the 3 [to the tune of nearly 40% from deep]. G, Eli, and to a lesser extent Mali being able to break guys down off the dribble.

LOTS of versatility.

Last edited:
Our last 6 teams, during the regular season:

2015 18-13
2016 19-12
2017 18-13
2018 19-12
2019 19-12
2020 17-14

Now let's rank them:

1) 2016
2) 2015
3) 2018
4) 2019
5) 2017
6) 2020

Buddy would have a lot of open looks on a team that had G, Eli, Mali, and Lydon.

So, let's consider that lineup for a second.

G and Eli up top, both big and very athletic. Mali and or Buddy at the 3, basically spotting up from 3. Lydon manning the pivot, but as a modern big capable of hitting the 3 [to the tune of nearly 40% from deep]. G, Eli, and to a lesser extent Mali being able to break guys down off the dribble.

LOTS of versatility.

Buddy would play 35 minutes a game. Elijah & Malachi would split 45 minutes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Our last 6 teams, during the regular season:

2015 18-13
2016 19-12
2017 18-13
2018 19-12
2019 19-12
2020 17-14

Now let's rank them:

1) 2016
2) 2015
3) 2018
4) 2019
5) 2017
6) 2020

Really? I think the 2015 may be the worst on the list. A quick look at SRS agrees with me. That was Cooney's worst year and G started that year terribly.

Really? I think the 2015 may be the worst on the list. A quick look at SRS agrees with me. That was Cooney's worst year and G started that year terribly.

I guess I miss a center like Rak, (17.5p/9.1r). And some of the key players on the 2016 final four team were already there. Cooney had his highest scoring average (13.9), Roberson was the second leading rebounder (7.3) and Gbinije had began to assert himself (12.7p/5.0t/3.6a). Do I get to include McCullough who played in 16 games?

I guess I miss a center like Rak, (17.5p/9.1r). And some of the key players on the 2016 final four team were already there. Cooney had his highest scoring average (13.9), Roberson was the second leading rebounder (7.3) and Gbinije had began to assert himself (12.7p/5.0t/3.6a). Do I get to include McCullough who played in 16 games?

If McCullough plays the entire year we probably make the tourney, but he didn't. That team got absolutely blasted whenever they played anyone halfway good not counting Notre Dame or Louisville. At least this season we kept games close. Kaleb Joseph was the PG. He's probably the worst starter of any starter on all 6 teams and it's probably Syracuse's worst offensive team maybe ever? Nobody could consistently score besides Christmas. Gbinije was good at the end of the year and Cooney the beginning of the year.

If McCullough plays the entire year we probably make the tourney, but he didn't. That team got absolutely blasted whenever they played anyone halfway good not counting Notre Dame or Louisville. At least this season we kept games close. Kaleb Joseph was the PG. He's probably the worst starter of any starter on all 6 teams and it's probably Syracuse's worst offensive team maybe ever? Nobody could consistently score besides Christmas. Gbinije was good at the end of the year and Cooney the beginning of the year.

We didn't make the tourney due to voluntary probation, a vain attempt to lessen the NCAA sanctions. That team never got to play in the ACCT or the NCAAs so we don't know what their final record might have been. Obviously, Notre Dame and Louisville count. We lost in OT at Villanova thanks to some friendly refs. 5 losses were by 5 points or less. . the worst loss was 54-73 at national champion Duke, after an 8 point loss in the Dome. Cal and NC State were next, beating us by 14, which isn't getting "absolutely blasted". We had a 13-4 start, then went 5-9 after the team found out they couldn't play in the post season.