Cant be an elite program with Cooney as a starter | Syracusefan.com

Cant be an elite program with Cooney as a starter

Tony DeFranco

2nd String
He's a bench player - he brings nothing to the table other than a deep shot possibility

He didnt play because we had 18 points at the half - please enlighten us on what he brings to the table as a starting SG on an elite program?

I
He's a bench player - he brings nothing to the table other than a deep shot possibility
I'm not sure he brings that. He seems more reputation based on "practice" than actual game shooting. However, I think he played good D most of the year and actually CAN drive the lane. For some reason once the ACC started he decided to do nothing than chuck up 3's every time. No more driving, no pump fakes, no medium jumpers, no floaters. He CHOSE to become one dimensional, but was not able to really come through on that dimension. that being said, he is only a sophomore. There is time to improve. I really wish he was not forced to be a starter, 3 years off the bench might have made for a decent senior year.

Dumb post. He barely even played today.

Ahhh ... I think that his minutes were reduced tonight might actually be making the point Tiny DeFranco is making.

You can't have a designated three point shooter who can;t reliably make threes. It's like having a Designated Hitter in the AL who can't hit.

Cooney will be back. But if he can't be more reliable at crunch time, JB may have to go in another direction.

He didnt play because we had 18 points at the half - please enlighten us on what he brings to the table as a starting SG on an elite program?
Come on. You have got to be kidding me. He averaged 12.5 points per game, 2 steals per game, and hit 90 threes this season. There were only 5 games in which Cooney did not make a three point shot. Now his shooting percentage towards the end of the year wasn't great, but he forced teams to play him tight which allowed for driving lanes for Ennis, Fair, and Grant.

The fault of this team is that there wasn't another three-point threat to take some pressure off of Cooney and help the offense. If we had one more consistent three-point shooter, we win the national championship.

Cooney is probably slated to start the next two seasons as well.

I cannot believe I am sitting here talking about next year already.

Townie72 said:
Ahhh ... I think that his minutes were reduced tonight might actually be making the point Tiny DeFranco is making.

You can't have a designated three point shooter who can;t reliably make threes. It's like having a Designated Hitter in the AL who can't hit.

Cooney will be back. But if he can't be more reliable at crunch time, JB may have to go in another direction.

According to you he's a D3 talent. So he's already exceeded your idiocy.

Cooney is probably slated to start the next two seasons as well.

I cannot believe I am sitting here talking about next year already.

If Cooney is starting u will be doing the same exact thing next year - can't have a guard out there with zero ability to penetrate whatsoever and can be defended by simply never leaving him - he can come off the bench but teams figured him out - he's a slow, short, 2g that simply needs a guy to stay on him - then he's totally useless and makes us even staler on offense

Can't be an elite program with G, Buss, or BJ starting at the 2 this year either. The 2 guard was an obvious weakness this year and JB didn't have an answer.

We can be elite with Cooney starting, but he has to hit some damn shots.

This Cooney "forcing" teams to play him tight allowing the rest of the offense to function smoothly has one major flaw to it. The offense didnt function smoothly.

People are erroneously thinking he is forcing teams to alter their normal defense to keep him from going off. All he is doing is forcing one guy to play him honest. When he gets a single solid defender on him, its game over...he gets locked down by one guy. Its not as if he's forcing double teams and causing general mayhem for the opposing D.

College is a guards game - we can't have a guard that can't do anything other than shoot - and I'm being gracious saying he can shoot

Now his shooting percentage towards the end of the year wasn't great, but he forced teams to play him tight which allowed for driving lanes for Ennis, Fair, and Grant.

The fault of this team is that there wasn't another three-point threat to take some pressure off of Cooney and help the offense. If we had one more consistent three-point shooter, we win the national championship.

Sorry, now that the season is over I'm done hearing this horseshi
When Cooney went out today, guess what we did?

G with a dunk
CJ repeatingly driving into the lane.
Ennis to the hole

ALL without Cooney on the floor

This whole "Cooney opened up the lanes" line used all year was a myth. The lanes were much better when he was hitting shots no doubt. But when he was missing, he should not be on the floor.

This Cooney "forcing" teams to play him tight allowing the rest of the offense to function smoothly has one major flaw to it. The offense didnt function smoothly.

People are erroneously thinking he is forcing teams to alter their normal defense to keep him from going off. All he is doing is forcing one guy to play him honest. When he gets a single solid defender on him, its game over...he gets locked down by one guy. Its not as if he's forcing double teams and causing general mayhem for the opposing D.

Bingo!!!

If Cooney is starting u will be doing the same exact thing next year - can't have a guard out there with zero ability to penetrate whatsoever and can be defended by simply never leaving him - he can come off the bench but teams figured him out - he's a slow, short, 2g that simply needs a guy to stay on him - then he's totally useless and makes us even staler on offense

I was just stating the obvious, not that I agree with it. Because I don't. But we know this is what it is likely going to be.

I believe Cooney will be better next year. He will work his ass off on his weaknesses and be much better for it. He hit a wall and struggled at the end. I appreciate the kid and would be thrilled for him to be wearing Orange for two more years.

According to you he's a D3 talent. So he's already exceeded your idiocy.

He played like a D-3 talent last year.

I think he's 50-50 as a player next year. Too erratic to be counted on. He may transfer yet.

Cooney is going to be our guy the next two years so get used to it.

That is depressing. And somehow I doubt it's true. JB committed to him for this year - I think he's coming off the bench next year and gets the hook fast if he's missing. I hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom