Cantor's statement: | Syracusefan.com

Cantor's statement:

Statement from Chancellor Cantor

Dear Students, Faculty, & Staff:

Tonight, in the wake of troubling new allegations that emerged in the media today, I am writing to let you know that Bernie Fine’s employment at the University has been terminated effective immediately.
Frankly, the events of the past week have shaken us all. The taped phone call that ESPN revealed today was not provided to the university by Mr. Davis during the 2005 investigation by our legal counsel. Like the media review of the case a few years earlier, no other witnesses came forward during the university investigation, and those who felt they knew Bernie best could not imagine what has unfolded.

Since I last wrote to you, we have been cooperating fully with the authorities. On Friday, November 18th, as the District Attorney has noted, we turned over to his office the results of our 2005 months-long investigation. Also on November 18, our Board of Trustees retained an independent law firm, Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP, to review our procedures in responding to the initial allegations when they first came to the University’s attention. I fully supported that decision and it is vital that we examine our protocols and actions in dealing with such serious allegations. We need to learn all we can from this terrible lesson.

All of us have the responsibility, individually and collectively, to ensure that Syracuse University remains a safe place for every campus community member and everyone with whom we interact on a daily basis on campus or in the community as part of our learning, scholarship, or work. We do not tolerate abuse. If anything good comes out of this tragedy, it will be that this basic principle is reinforced.

Sincerely,

Nancy Cantor

Took 13 hours? She could have said that this morning and maybe days ago when they knew there was a smoking gun.

Took 13 hours? She could have said that this morning and maybe days ago when they knew there was a smoking gun.

That is exactly what I just said to my wife. Way to wait until the last minute Nancy.

She addressed the issues when they became public.

Nancy and team are handling this very VERY well.

Come on Bees you of all should know better. You dont f with this and have to be spot on. Nancy has done a great job as has the University. I dont believe anyone had any idea at all that Bernie was lying. None. Now that the truth is coming out Syracuse is dealing with this as they should. I really dont know what else could have been done. JB shooting his mouth off is also ok. Pure JB and as it should have been. Jim doesnt have an ounce of PC in his DNA never has and never will. He believed in Bernie and when multiple investigations from outside sources came back clean and than when this came up again he went balistic. Again Pure JB no filter and i would have been disapointed if he hadnt defended Bernie and taken the safe path. All in all i really dont know what the University could have done any better. A grade in my book.

Come on Bees you of all should know better. You dont f with this and have to be spot on. Nancy has done a great job as has the University. I dont believe anyone had any idea at all that Bernie was lying. None. Now that the truth is coming out Syracuse is dealing with this as they should. I really dont know what else could have been done. JB shooting his mouth off is also ok. Pure JB and as it should have been. Jim doesnt have an ounce of PC in his DNA never has and never will. He believed in Bernie and when multiple investigations from outside sources came back clean and than when this came up again he went balistic. Again Pure JB no filter and i would have been disapointed if he hadnt defended Bernie and taken the safe path. All in all i really dont know what the University could have done any better. A grade in my book.

Ask yourself this question. Did Fine get fired because of the tape or because the tape became public?

Cue Dr. Evil...#2

No tape...no termination At least no termination tonight.

Ask yourself this question. Did Fine get fired because of the tape or because the tape became public?

But did the university have confirmation of the contents of the tape before it became public? (Not rhetorical - I don't know the answer to that. But I think he got fired because the contents of the tape became public.)

But did the university have confirmation of the contents of the tape before it became public? (Not rhetorical - I don't know the answer to that. But I think he got fired because the contents of the tape became public.)

They may not have heard the tape but I have no doubt they knew the contents before 8am Sportscenter today. This is a small town with close relationships. The DA had it, SPD had it. I am sure they knew something yet it took them 13 hours to make a very good statement but one that could have been written in 30 minutes.

According to the SU position, it is one and the same. My question to Nancy is, WHAT DID BERNIE JUST GET FIRED FOR? She didn't say.

That is exactly what I just said to my wife. Way to wait until the last minute Nancy.
I'm thinking Nancy et al wanted to involve the BOT before responding or commenting. Nancy knows who she works for and wants to be in step with their input.

Neither. Fine got fired because the facts changed. When Davis brought these allegations up last week it was old news. The University had performed a full investigation and im sure that they felt the new/old charges were a result of the PState situation. Because of new evidence the University made a new decision. 13 hours is nothing and actually beyond fast for a response. It is the Sunday after Thanksgiving and im sure they needed to VET the previous report and consult with the legal firm that performed the last investigation and with internal council. JB had to be interviewed and the JB decision had to be made. Once made JB had to be consulted and im sure he requested time to speak to his council. Finally JB had and Nancy had to come to an agreement. 13 hours is nothing Bees and again i think the University has handled this as well as possible

Neither. Fine got fired because the facts changed. When Davis brought these allegations up last week it was old news. The University had performed a full investigation and im sure that they felt the new/old charges were a result of the PState situation. Because of new evidence the University made a new decision. 13 hours is nothing and actually beyond fast for a response. It is the Sunday after Thanksgiving and im sure they needed to VET the previous report and consult with the legal firm that performed the last investigation and with internal council. JB had to be interviewed and the JB decision had to be made. Once made JB had to be consulted and im sure he requested time to speak to his council. Finally JB had and Nancy had to come to an agreement. 13 hours is nothing Bees and again i think the University has handled this as well as possible

huh? what was the new info that changed the facts? did i miss something today? i thought it was the tape that was the news today. so did bernie get fired because of the tape or because the tape became public? it's one or the other, not neither.

huh? what was the new info that changed the facts? did i miss something today? i thought it was the tape that was the news today. so did bernie get fired because of the tape or because the tape became public? it's one or the other, not neither.
Neither. The tape didnt fire Bernie. The facts contained in the tape [new evidence] is what led to Bernie being fired. If the tape had never been released or didnt exist sadly i have to assume that Bernie would have Skated forever.

or the 3rd accuser pick anyone--

Neither. The tape didnt fire Bernie. The facts contained in the tape [new evidence] is what led to Bernie being fired. If the tape had never been released or didnt exist sadly i have to assume that Bernie would have Skated forever.

Hence the tape led to bernie getting fired.

Hence the tape led to bernie getting fired.
No and this may be semantics but the tape has been around for years. The tape didnt lead to Bernie being fired. The information on the tape being made public led to Bernie being fired. Something that seems lost in all if this is why didnt ESPN release the information on the tape years ago. Why didnt Davis release the tape years ago? Huge Mystery

What facts in the tape?

They may not have heard the tape but I have no doubt they knew the contents before 8am Sportscenter today. This is a small town with close relationships. The DA had it, SPD had it. I am sure they knew something yet it took them 13 hours to make a very good statement but one that could have been written in 30 minutes.

I assume the Board had to be consulted, I assume the PR people, legal people, etc. all had to take a look at that statement. I assume they wanted to hear the tape first (not just be told what was on it), get any information they could to confirm it's legitimacy, especially since it was once said to be a fake.

I don't find the 13 hours part of this to be at all troubling. You make sure you have everything exactly as you want to say it before the statement goes out. Too much at stake.

What facts in the tape?
ah the fact that Bernie was screwing around with Davis. When Laurie states that what he did to you when you were younger was wrong... I believe that may have been the part that did Bernie in. Plus Bernie lied saying he had never had relations with Davis. The fact that im sure he lied directly to Nancy the good Doc and JB did him in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom