Carmelo Anthony....Racist? | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo Anthony....Racist?

44Warrior

Walk On
"These are just some of the beliefs behind the bling — the gaudy Five Percent Nation medallions worn by Jay Z and Carmelo Anthony."

The above is quoted from the article in the New York Post:

http://nypost.com/2014/04/06/jay-zs-medallion-bears-logo-of-five-percent-radical-group/

So, Carmelo wears a medallion of a black supremacist group that believes "whites are devils". This is no better than somebody wearing a swastika or a white hood on their head. Racism of blacks on whites is no more excusable than white on black racism.

Shame on you Carmelo, you just lost a fan. Repent. Get your head on straight Carmelo.

Calling it like I see it, criticize me if you like. Racism is not acceptable, period.

Probably more of a fashion statement than anything else. But I'm not a fan of the message either

Probably more of a fashion statement than anything else. But I'm not a fan of the message either
It's more than a fashion statement. Check his lyrics lately. "Arm leg leg arm head, this is God body".

This is no different than some white dude rockin white supremacist gear.

Did you read the article? Number 1: It is from the NY Post. Number 2: Melo's name is only mentioned in one sentence...barely. Number 3: There is nothing remotely journalistic about the article.

Not worth the paper (or computer screen) it is printed on, IMO.

Did you read the article? Number 1: It is from the NY Post. Number 2: Melo's name is only mentioned in one sentence...barely. Number 3: There is nothing remotely journalistic about the article.

Not worth the paper (or computer screen) it is printed on, IMO.
Evidently you are commenting on urban culture and know nothing about it.

Article is pretty accurate.

Evidently you are commenting on urban culture and know nothing about it.

Article is pretty accurate.
No. I am commenting on journalism and how the authors use Jay-Z and Carmelo to get page views. I mentioned nothing about accuracy of the rest of the article.

No. I am commenting on journalism and how the authors use Jay-Z and Carmelo to get page views. I mentioned nothing about accuracy of the rest of the article.
Carmelo was kind of lumped in but the whole Jay-Z part is actually a running theme lately.

Carmelo was kind of lumped in but the whole Jay-Z part is actually a running theme lately.
The bolded part was my point, especially given the thread title and the OP's comments.

Jay-Z is all over the place these days on this type of thing, especially since the Barney's incident(s).

I love Melo but he just can't stay out of the way of controversy.

Jay-Z is awful at everything. I'm mystified by his success. If it wasn't for Kanye West we'd already be rid of him probably. Oh well, I guess we're stuck with him for a bit longer.

The man that brought you classic lyrics like, "thirty-eight revolve like the sun round the Earth," and the super awesome line in 99 Problems where he gets pulled over for going 55 in a 54. Which some people try to justify as making sense, but I've heard him interviewed, there is never a deeper meaning unless someone else is writing for him. He's a moron. A very wealthy moron, but a moron nonetheless.

As a result I'm guessing he wears the medallion because it's shiny. And Jay-Z likes shiny things.

Melo probably wears it because Jay-Z has one. And it's shiny.

I love Melo but he just can't stay out of the way of controversy.
He really can't lol. Just don't wear controversial jewelry, you actually have to go out of your way to find that. Even his trademark 3 to the dome is controversial. He just cant help it..

Jay-Z is awful at everything. I'm mystified by his success. If it wasn't for Kanye West we'd already be rid of him probably. Oh well, I guess we're stuck with him for a bit longer.

The man thought brought you classic lyrics like, "thirty-eight revolve like the sun round the Earth," and the super awesome line in 99 Problems where he gets pulled over for going 55 in a 54. Which some people try to justify as making sense, but I've heard him interviewed, there is never a deeper meaning unless someone else is writing for him. He's a moron. A very wealthy moron, but a moron nonetheless.

As a result I'm guessing he wears the medallion because it's shiny. And Jay-Z likes shiny things.

Melo probably wears it because Jay-Z has one. And it's shiny.
I agree with how lame jay-z is but I think he knows exactly what he's doing. He know he isn't "hard" so he's going for the "Im a God" angle. He probably has no idea about the five percent other than what he's read about on Wikipedia and put into lyrics. At least he's doing something besides saying n***a every 2 seconds.

I'm not a huge rap fan, but Jay-z is a very talented artist, especially some of his older stuff.

I'm not a huge rap fan, but Jay-z is a very talented artist, especially some of his older stuff.
Meh. Streets is watching was awesome. Some of his Watch the Throne stuff was good. Other than that, he's lame as ****.

I'm not the biggest fan of Jay-Z (Nas fan and loved "Ether"). But he's had some classic lyrics, and he's not terrible at everything. He wasn't the hardest, so he used his brain and made a lot happen.

I agree with how lame jay-z is but I think he knows exactly what he's doing. He know he isn't "hard" so he's going for the "Im a God" angle. He probably has no idea about the five percent other than what he's read about on Wikipedia and put into lyrics. At least he's doing something besides saying n***a every 2 seconds.

There are lots of rappers associated with the 5% nation along with the N.O.I.

There are lots of rappers associated with the 5% nation along with the N.O.I.
Yup. Anytime you hear an acronym for A.L.L.A.H. or a reference to "Godbody" that's part of that theology.

5% doesn't believe in Allah (or any God) so they oppose the views of Nation of Islam.

Come on, this is much ado about nothing. Any fan of hip hop music and culture knows that the golden era of rap had choc ful of lyrics and influences from the 'Nation of Gods and Earths' who were quite prevalent in the inner cities at that time (and still are). It's actually where some of the 'slang' you probably use now comes from (i.e. "Peace"; "Word (is Bond/Born...) ). Jay Z comes from that era, so he was obviously influenced -- he isn't a member of the Nation, and I'm certain Carmelo isn't. It's a fashion statement and an homage to hip hop's glory days. And if anything it's more a symbol saying I'm a GOD then 'hey, i'm a racist'.

And the NY Post -- SMH - Public Enemy already addressed them in 91.

Yup. Anytime you hear an acronym for A.L.L.A.H. or a reference to "Godbody" that's part of that theology.

5% doesn't believe in Allah (or any God) so they oppose the views of Nation of Islam.

Yeah - people get confused. They are somewhat of an offshoot of the NOI, but they are not the same.