Carmelo stuff | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo stuff

cto

Administrator
There seem to be people here who delight in posting negative stuff about Carmelo. In response, let me say a few things (in no particular order).

1) All things considered, there has never been a player that has meant more to SU. Those of us who followed the team's 2003 post-season journey know that. Many of those questioning Melo seem not to have been around then.

2) No student athlete has been more generous to SU than Carmelo. Edit: no team player anywhere (including Duke, Notre Dame, UNC, USC or wherever) has ever been more generous to his school than has Melo.

3) Without Melo, there would not be a Melo Center... which is why we have recruited amazing classes of players in the past few years.

4) Of course, Lebron was always going to be the #1 draft pick in 2003. What a stupid discussion.

5) Who has won more NBA championships as of today.. Lebron or Carmelo? Last I looked, they were tied. Who won more NCAA championships?

6) Carmelo has not been surrounded by the best talent during his NBA career. Denver... don't think so. Knicks... just compare their roster to the Heat. Three current Heat players (James, Wade and Bosh) were on the 2008 US Olympic team. Probably this year, too. And they also have Shane Battier, about whom the NY Times Magazine ran a cover story, calling him the best team player and most unselfish player in the NBA. The Knicks best run of the season featured an undrafted skinny guard from Harvard, for gosh sakes.

7) I am not sure why this board seems to take such delight in "eating its own." Just a random late-night observation.

I am a big time heat fan. I'm also a diehard Syracuse fan. Carmelo will always have a special place in all of Syracuse fans' hearts. Sadly the Knicks aren't a very good team. I always root for Carmelo and wish him the best but like you said his supporting cast isn't close to being good enough. He deserves better.

There seem to be people here who delight in posting negative stuff about Carmelo. In response, let me say a few things (in no particular order).

1) All things considered, there has never been a player that has meant more to SU. Those of us who followed the team's 2003 post-season journey know that. Many of those questioning Melo seem not to have been around then.

2) No student athlete has been more generous to SU than Carmelo. Edit: no team player anywhere (including Duke, Notre Dame, UNC, USC or wherever) has ever been more generous to his school than has Melo.

3) Without Melo, there would not be a Melo Center... which is the reason we have recruited amazing classes of players in the past few years.

4) Of course, Lebron was always going to be the #1 draft pick in 2003. What a stupid discussion.

5) Who has won more NBA championships as of today.. Lebron or Carmelo? Last I looked they were tied. Who won more NCAA championships?

6) Carmelo has not been surrounded by the best talent during his NBA career. Denver... don't think so. Knicks... just compare their roster to the Heat. Three current Heat players were on the 2008 US Olympic team. Probably this year, too. The Knicks best run of the season featured an undrafted skinny guard from Harvard, for gosh sakes.

7) I am not sure why this board seems to take such delight in "eating its own." Just a random late-night observation.

Well said. The venom directed at Melo on this board is ing pathetic, considering all that he's done (and does) for SU.

But hey, let's e-fellate Lebron James at every chance. Go SU!

What an awful post. Carmelo's accomplishments and contributions to Syracuse have nothing to do with what he is currently doing in the NBA.

2) no team player anywhere (including Duke, Notre Dame, UNC, USC or wherever) has ever been more generous to his school than has Melo.
/quote]
Phil Knight says hello.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

3) Without Melo, there would not be a Melo Center... which is why we have recruited amazing classes of players in the past few years.

5) Who has won more NBA championships as of today.. Lebron or Carmelo? Last I looked they were tied. Who won more NCAA championships?

6) Carmelo has not been surrounded by the best talent during his NBA career. Denver... don't think so. Knicks... just compare their roster to the Heat. Three current Heat players (James, Wade and Bosh) were on the 2008 US Olympic team. Probably this year, too. And they also have Shane Battier, about whom the NY Times Magazine ran a cover story, calling him the best team player and most unselfish player in the NBA. The Knicks best run of the season featured an undrafted skinny guard from Harvard, for gosh sakes.

This is the greatest post of all-time. Your loyalty (and generosity) is always appreciated. Thank you.

put into the context of the original post melo's accomplishments at su are absolutely relevant. he is in a no win situation... he shoots too much and tries to carry the team and he is a ball stopper, he defers too much and he isnt stepping up enough.. ive watched melo make the right pass far too many times and then have his teammate throw up a brick, turn the ball over or miss a bunny. he makes 4 plays on defense in a row, gets 3 offensive boards and then doesnt get back in transition from being winded and some say he doesnt hustle. i will admit he has had some down games as a knick but other than chandler he doesnt have a great team around him. amare is one dimensional and not very effective outside of the pick n roll offense. he does not understand angles well and he is a premier power forward who does not play well with his back to the basket. jr and novak are nice supplementary weapons. otherwise its melo and a bunch of guys who struggle to create for themselves or anyone else.

Knight was a runner at Oregon whose father was a lawyer and newspaper publisher. Hardly a "team sport" in the accepted context. I very carefully said "team sport" --- knowing someone would mention a runner or a tennis player or a golfer -- who came from a prosperous background. Totally different situation.

You are ridiculous. I cheer for and have been cheering for whatever team Carmelo's been on for his whole career. When people ask me who my favorite NBA team is I always answer "whatever team Carmelo is on."

But just because I cheer for him doesn't mean I can't take a step back and reasonably critique his NBA game.

This isn't just about Carmelo, CTO. It's about nearly every other player that leaves the program. Just go back and look at what was said about:

-Devo
-Donte (who most here have absolutely no idea how nice of a kid he is)
-GMAC

And the list goes on. Not to mention McNabb. It's a Syracuse fan trait. It's ridiculous.

44cuse

But hey, let's e-fellate Lebron James at every chance. Go SU!

The only player ripped more than Melo (because very few on this board care about the NBA) here is LeBron (which goes to show you what this board knows about the NBA. Not saying you specifically).

44cuse

People still take childish potshots at GMac and Harris. Sad, really.

Carmelo is no amare, thats for sure. cause thats a world class idiot.

and Melo has never puked on a court in the 4th qtr or forgotten the rules of the game...

:eek:

and Melo has never puked on a court in the 4th qtr or forgotten the rules of the game...

Thank you for proving others on here point further. Why take joy in or feel the need to make jokes and call out athletes like McNabb who did so much for Syracuse and by all accounts I've came across seems to be a nice guy? I'm not sure I know of any other fan base who turns so quickly on their own athletes. How do you honestly expect recruits, current players, and alumni to embrace Syracuse, the city, program, and university, when there are chunks of fans who seem to go out of their way to do the exact opposite of embrace the student athletes?

We should be a fan base and place where anyone who's been a member of the program can come back and be welcomed home, knowing they'll be accepted and embraced for their effort and memories provided over the course of their career. Almost like a growing family of "adopted sons" who know they will always be welcome back to the hill with open arms and a warm reception, not cheap remarks about their shortcomings.

Tonight I was surprised to hear Charles Barkley call Carmelo the best scorer in the NBA. Carmelo is like family to many of us, and deservedly so for helping give the Cuse and JB their first NCAA title. Like family, he is human and has faults, but also like family, I try to love the guy unconditionally. Thank you Carmelo, and your teammates, and all the coaches and players over the years who have brought us both joy and tears and made many memorable moments for us. Regardless of where you play, you're always wearing orange in my heart!!

No one is questioning his personality and character. You are making things up.

No one is questioning this. You are making things up.

No one is questioning this. You are making things up.

Yes that was dumb but it was caused by the Carmelo "defenders."

Lebron James never attended college. Also comparing athletes by championships won is a very casual fan way of thinking.

Battier is awful but you are absolutely correct, Lebron currently is surrounded by better talent. But Lebron in Cleveland did wayyyyyy more with wayyyyyy less.

No one is eating their own. Some people enjoy having rational basketball discussion rather than just pretending everything associated with Syracuse is the greatest thing ever.

LOL--KJ, do you follow me on Twitter?... just kidding, I know you don't, but I just tweeted the same exact thing (about Amare being an "idiot") about an hour ago when he finally decided to "crash the glass" for the first time all night. (can't take the credit for that one--that was Doug Gottlieb's line---a classic)

You mean Soupy McPuke? I bet no one called him that after VPI in '98.

Exactly. A bunch of freaking BS. It's the same garbage over and over again. And in my experience, most folks here don't even know where the SU players are in the pros. Sorry, it's a sore spot for me.

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom