CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 48 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you have to subscribe to get that LSU APR thing.

Would having that info build interest and develop a "rabid fan base" that "lives and breathes the program?" I doubt that seriously. The only thing that really does that is winning. If the team isn't winning then people have other things to do with their entertainment dollar.

More info from pre-season camp is in the "nice to have" category.
Don’t disagree here but it’s worth pointing out that not having any info at all makes it tough to even fall somewhere between casual and rabid as a fan. I like to think I follow things pretty closely — or that I have in the past — and honestly I’d say I have no real idea what’s going on with this team. I’ll watch and enjoy and I don’t curse Dino’s name because of media access every day, but it would be hard to argue that for a team with a smaller fan base than many of our foes, an annual 9-month hibernation can’t be helping to grow the program’s base of support.

I think it’s viewed that way because people believe (rightly, or wrongly) that the practices are closed off, the players and coaches are strictly limited and the information flow is at almost zero because the head coach sees it as some sort of strategic advantage.

I view this approach by coaching staffs as dramatically overblown at best or utter nonsense at worst. But it’s kind of a football coach thing and I’m not disagreeing with anyone who says winning is the ultimate bottom line.

Beyond that, Dino seems to truly care for his players and staff from what I’ve read. So it’s probably not worth flipping out about it.

I just miss the days where we at least had an idea of who was having a good camp. Who came back stronger or quicker, etc. Even if it was half BS, the alternative is the season just starting one day in September (or late august) and ending with a hard stop a couple months later.
There is not a coach out there that wouldnt prefer less distractions. They all would rather not have certain plays or schemes shown publicly. I think some coaches exaggerate the "strategic advantage" because its an easy excuse to use when people ask for more access. Believe me, I wish we could see more and hear more buzz coming out of practice.

Not really, because when they ask these guys what school they played, guys like Duce are going to say “LSU” not Syracuse AND LSU

Sure the coaches can say, well he played three years here before transferring to recruits. But any school recruiting against us is easily going to say “well see they had to transfer to this other school for them to get into the league.”
Facts.

I follow baseball/college baseball. The 1st pick this year, Paul Skenes, was drafted out of LSU. He pitched at Air Force Academy for 2 seasons...no one knows he played at Air Force, all anyone mentions is LSU.

Its based on how they like to do their work and operate the team. I dont understood why people equate it to winning or losing. He will run his practices the same way regardless of success. Not fun for fans but preferred by coaches.

You know when I first ever noticed how practices were run for any program? Pete Carroll and USC.

They'd have Snoop and Will Ferrell at *practices* and it was like a dang party.

Of course, having the most talent in the world also helped and prob made it easier to be that open.

Wouldn’t be nice to have camp info like this? They must have open practices because there is pods like this all over youtube
Yeah we all do. Regarding the DB's, we had Deuce and Carter for one more year. Hoping at least a couple of the replacement guys we have coming in can be pretty solid this year and studs for additional years to come resulting in a net positive. By bringing in some talent for locked in multiple seasons is how Syracuse can actually improve in regards to the portal.

You know when I first ever noticed how practices were run for any program? Pete Carroll and USC.

They'd have Snoop and Will Ferrell at *practices* and it was like a dang party.

Of course, having the most talent in the world also helped and prob made it easier to be that open.
Music is great. You almost have to do that these days. Helps the kids get into good vibe during practices. Yes I remember. Pete would embrace some celebrities coming out on occasions. I’m all for that as well.

Music is great. You almost have to do that these days. Helps the kids get into good vibe during practices. Yes I remember. Pete would embrace some celebrities coming out on occasions. I’m all for that as well.

To be clear, I don't care what Dino does. I just remember being jealous of Pete and USC having those types of practices.

Facts.

I follow baseball/college baseball. The 1st pick this year, Paul Skenes, was drafted out of LSU. He pitched at Air Force Academy for 2 seasons...no one knows he played at Air Force, all anyone mentions is LSU.

Skenes is a generational guy though who led LSU to a title, along with future Nats great Dylan Crews :)

Duce is just a guy in broad scheme of things, probably no different than the guys that transferred in here.

Skenes is a generational guy though who led LSU to a title, along with future Nats great Dylan Crews :)

Duce is just a guy in broad scheme of things, probably no different than the guys that transferred in here.
Well sounds like he will be CB1 at LSU so i think that is losing a little more than "just a guy". I am hopeful we can replace him adequately but its still likely to be a downgrade at the CB position this year. But seems like we have a lot of safety additions with potential so hopefully the DB room in general can be a net positive depth wise at least.

Well sounds like he will be CB1 at LSU so i think that is losing a little more than "just a guy". I am hopeful we can replace him adequately but its still likely to be a downgrade at the CB position this year. But seems like we have a lot of safety additions with potential so hopefully the DB room in general can be a net positive depth wise at least.

Good for him.

I meant it relative in draft terms (and I said it poorly).

Facts.

Not a valid comparison at all.

To be clear, I don't care what Dino does. I just remember being jealous of Pete and USC having those types of practices.
It's interesting too in that Carroll's practices at SC were supposed to be as physical as they could be. Helps to have loaded rosters of high end kids but I think the competition and earning of spots helped them.

Its based on how they like to do their work and operate the team. I dont understand why people equate it to winning or losing. He will run his practices the same way regardless of success. Not fun for fans but preferred by coaches.
If it's not helpful for winning, then he should not say a word about attendance when he's making it very hard to create any buzz.

If we win games the Dome will be packed.

If we lose games the Dome will not be packed.

Everyone on this board is a diehard fan who goes out of their way to get information and discuss the program. The average fan in the Dome probably follows some social media accounts (and watches the great content the AD’s team produces) and might read an article or two every week but doesn’t care about practice reports in August. Dino might be a little crazy but if he maintains a bowl streak I’ll suffer through it without complaint.

I wish we had more but this is just how it is and I’m not sure how much we’d learn anyways based on what we do get from beat reporters. We are spoiled on the basketball side with Donna and Co.

I think the AD/school itself does a terrible job marketing the football team until they win a game or two, though. It’s like they don’t care to put azzes in the seats until it is easy for them to sell it to people.

If it's not helpful for winning, then he should not say a word about attendance when he's making it very hard to create any buzz.

That’s sort of the crux of it all. Piss and moan about attendance but then lock down practices and control the flow of information. People barely realize there’s a team now and yet he expects 49k to show up just because.

You can’t be radio silent, you have to create excitement and buzz. I remember reading the articles of old from Webb and Waters etc and think this is the year and being excited to go see them play. Now it’s like huh? Who’s that guy never heard of him.

Confirmed...

If only we had someone close to the program that could bring in celebrities.

He is gonna operate his team the way he knows how to regardless of them winning or losing. He has his way of doing it and it not uncommon. The administration will need to push back on the matter. If not, why would he change his ways?

What is the value of secretive pre season practices to the program since Dino has been here? Have we won more than expected?

What is the value of secretive pre season practices to the program since Dino has been here? Have we won more than expected?
have we lost less?

What are other teams doing for access to practice?

if they were wide open would we get more stories other than maybe a quicker injury update? Maybe a couple people go from the board to a few.

I'm not smart enough to know what advantage we gain from being secretive, but I can tell you that more often than not whatever advantage we gain from it is dwarfed by other factors to the point where the whole thing seems to be an exercise in futility.

I know that as a spectator I find it hard to believe that those staffers from opposing teams who draw the unfortunate assignment of watching Dino's pressers in an attempt to gather intel would be shouting, "That's it! Game over, Syracuse! You fools, you gave it all away!" if Dino were to let it slide that (hypothetically) Ike Daniels was having a good camp.

I'm not smart enough to know what advantage we gain from being secretive, but I can tell you that more often than not whatever advantage we gain from it is dwarfed by other factors to the point where the whole thing seems to be an exercise in futility.

I know that as a spectator I find it hard to believe that those staffers from opposing teams who draw the unfortunate assignment of watching Dino's pressers in an attempt to gather intel would be shouting, "That's it! Game over, Syracuse! You fools, you gave it all away!" if Dino were to let it slide that (hypothetically) Ike Daniels was having a good camp.

I've seen some games where our strategy was hard to discern.

Maybe that’s just how he runs the program. When you hire a guy for the head job you give him the freedom to make decisions. I have a hard time believing the thing that stops people from getting interested in the program early in the season is closed practices, but what do I know.

being secretive lasts for exactly one game that’s why it’s so dumb.
Yes, it seems like the most important thing DFB could influence is buts in the seats. And marketing the program by giving access is one way to do it

This does three things:

Creates a game day atmosphere that could be worth 1-2 wins a year (wins help everything)

Helps the financing creating a bigger budget and closing the gap to top 25 school staffs, budgets etc

Helps recruiting because all kids comment on playing in front of big loud raucous crowds (our top bball commits often mention this historically)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.