Class of 2017 - CB Ifeatu Melifonwu (MA) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 CB Ifeatu Melifonwu (MA) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Definitely an athlete with great measurables. I hope this doesn't mean we are closing the door on Edwards or Sutherland. Would love to add a couple of guys who have potential to be lock down in the secondary, as the Tampa 2 really needs it. We are in good spots for both, so it will be interesting to see.

We need a Ronde Barber / John Lynch combo.

Ifeatu, Welcome to the Syracuse Football family! Go Orange!

Ifeatu Melifonwu football-32.jpg

Grafton plays in central MA. Not a lot of talent there, but there have been some good prospects out of that area before. I hope he's one of them!

Grafton's Ifeatu Melifonwu verbally commits to Syracuse

Grafton's Ifeatu Melifonwu verbally commits to Syracuse

7:03 PM ET

It didn't take long for Grafton athlete Ifeatu Melifonwu to realize that Syracuse was the place for him.

Following a visit to the Orange's campus in late June, the versatile 6-foot-2 Melifonwu took a walk with his family and discussed his options.

That walk resulted in Melifonwu's commitment to Syracuse Saturday, making him the 12th member of Syracuse's 2017 class, and the first expected to play defensive back.

"When I first got the offer from Syracuse, they instantly became one of my top schools, along with UConn," Melifonwu said. "So I just talked it out with my family, and we decided to call (Syracuse) and commit."

Melifonwu, whose brother Obi Melifonwu is a star safety for the UConn Huskies, made his commitment to Syracuse official on Saturday. The younger Melifonwu admits he may have picked the Huskies if his brother was not graduating after this season, but ultimately he decided that he wanted to carve out his own path.

While Melifonqu did it all for Grafton last season on both sides of the ball, the Orange are looking for him to contribute as either a cornerback or free safety in their Cover 2 defense.

"The (Syracuse) coaches said they think I'm versatile enough to play either corner or safety," Melifonwu said. "So I'm not locked into one position, which is nice."

With the size and physicality to press receivers as a corner, and the length and range to cover ground as a safety, Melifonwu certainly looks like he can play either part when he arrives on campus.

Melifonwu enjoyed late success in multiple sports for the Indians last season. As Grafton worked him into different positions on the football field, Melifonwu excelled as an option quarterback, wide receiver and defensive back for a team that far exceeded expectations. Then, in a move that changed the landscape of Central Massachusetts lacrosse, Melifonwu joined Grafton's highly-regarded lacrosse team and become a lock down defender as a long sticker midfielder.

With the ball in his hands, Melifonwu led the Indians to a Division 4 Central title in football, and helped Grafton reach its second consecutive Division 3 state championship game in lacrosse. It was a banner year or Melifonwu, and he'll likely carry an even larger load for the Indians in football this upcoming season, as Grafton graduates a plethora of contributors, including star running back Matt O'Brien.

"We're losing a lot of seniors and starters, but I think we should be pretty good again," Melifonwu said. "We've got great coaching, and a bunch of younger guys with talent, so I think we'll be good again."

Knowing they were only going to take one more cornerback with versatile athlete Eric Coley already on board, Melifonwu didn't wait to fill it.

He was also told that the Orange had two linebacker spots remaining, but that was before Kadeem Trotter made his pledge on Sunday. Florida linebacker Nadarius Fagan may be the top target for that final scholarship.

Nice find Whitey...that is consistent with what I thought Jack B44 said in another thread...paraphrase"gun to head I think we get both trotter & Fagan...

Nice find Whitey...that is consistent with what I thought Jack B44 said in another thread...paraphrase"gun to head I think we get both trotter & Fagan...
Fagan - SU in Top 5 along with the likes of SoCal and Bama.

Did any of you actually get to his defensive highlights? I can see why the staff is very high on him. He would be great as a cover 2 corner for us, but I could also see him playing safety. Long kid, very stout against the run but also runs well enough. I am bullish.

There's no way he's really 6-4 like that article claims, is there?

There's no way he's really 6-4 like that article claims, is there?
T&G is pretty good, I'd say that's probably the height the coach gave them and he's probably 6'2" or 6'3"

Still huge for a CB. Exactly the type of athlete we need to improve the secondary.

Thanks!

Hopefully he can improve his speed numbers a bit and stay at CB.

I wonder if there's been any word on Pierre, last I heard I thought he had to Prep. Be curious to see where he preps and if we stay on him. He has that prototypical size too for this system's secondary.

Hopefully he can improve his speed numbers a bit and stay at CB.

I wonder if there's been any word on Pierre, last I heard I thought he had to Prep. Be curious to see where he preps and if we stay on him. He has that prototypical size too for this system's secondary.

Really hope prep is an option. That would also mean that it was just a one-class thing, that could be rectified swiftly this fall.

Sounds like Pierre worked his tail off to get eligible, so it would be nice to see the young man get rewarded, and not derailed, after coming so close.

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 5h5 hours ago Wade Hampton, SC
Speaking of Syracuse commits excelling tonight, check out DB Ifeatu Melifonwu's line.

This kid [not even going to attempt to spell his last name] is going to bring a welcome infusion of height / speed / athleticism into the secondary [same with Eric Coley].

He's a long stick midi on the lacrosse field so that tells me a lot about his athletic ability

You look at lacrosse as a barometer for a d-1 football recruits athletic ability? :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom