Class of 2023 - CG Elijah Gertrude (NJ) Offered | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 CG Elijah Gertrude (NJ) Offered

Been watching Gertrude tape the past few days and keep coming back to one player comp: Terance Mann. The long frame, bouncy ability and tenacity all over the court. Mann's ability to be a difference maker through defensive prowess, lane penetration on offense, coupled with the high-rising athleticism and unselfishness feels like what Gertrude could become if he realizes his potential. A player every team wants to have and nobody wants to face.

A backcourt of Mintz with offensive creativity and Gertrude's feistiness & motor bring memories of past Cuse backcourts nobody wants to face. In your face for 40 mins. Would take this over Ducharme any day, personally. Makes a difference in a multitude of ways, many of which don't shine through stats. Wouldn't hurt to keep the NJ & City Rocks pipeline strong, either.

Been watching Gertrude tape the past few days and keep coming back to one player comp: Terance Mann. The long frame, bouncy ability and tenacity all over the court. Mann's ability to be a difference maker through defensive prowess, lane penetration on offense, coupled with the high-rising athleticism and unselfishness feels like what Gertrude could become if he realizes his potential. A player every team wants to have and nobody wants to face.

A backcourt of Mintz with offensive creativity and Gertrude's feistiness & motor bring memories of past Cuse backcourts nobody wants to face. In your face for 40 mins. Would take this over Ducharme any day, personally. Makes a difference in a multitude of ways, many of which don't shine through stats. Wouldn't hurt to keep the NJ & City Rocks pipeline strong, either.

Great post. No disrespect intended toward Ducharme, but I like this kid's game more.

I wonder why he wasn't discovered earlier -- he plays with Trey Autry on the City Rocks. Did he just recently step up his game or something? Because he looks really good. Tons of potential. He would be absolutely ferocious at Cuse. Mintz, Gertrude, Copeland and Taylor would be a PROBLEM.

I wonder why he wasn't discovered earlier -- he plays with Trey Autry on the City Rocks. Did he just recently step up his game or something? Because he looks really good. Tons of potential. He would be absolutely ferocious at Cuse. Mintz, Gertrude, Copeland and Taylor would be a PROBLEM.

Some guys just slip through the cracks.

This kid is a top 50 type of talent -- easily, in my opinion. His recruitment is going to blow up if this goes on too long. Hope we can lock him up soon. High major prospect, incorrectly rated as a 3-star.

Some guys just slip through the cracks.

This kid is a top 50 type of talent -- easily, in my opinion. His recruitment is going to blow up if this goes on too long. Hope we can lock him up soon. High major prospect, incorrectly rated as a 3-star.
Possibly the reason the staff slow-walked Ducharme a few weeks ago. I have no problem with that -- we have to takes chances sometimes to land game-changers. Hopefully the staff puts on the full court press to lock him down. Seems obtainable and could be an NBA talent.

Covid kind of screwed all this up.

Ray, people will come Ray

Very excited about his athleticism, motor and ability to finish. Only saw one semi obscured jump shot. And it looked a bit knuckle balled.. hope he is at least a threat outside? We know the way out D is set up and I fear his talent would not be unleashed to its fullest. Been a while since we have really amped up the pressure. If he isn't a threat from outside JB may not give him the time...

Anyone seen film of him shooting?

Very excited about his athleticism, motor and ability to finish. Only saw one semi obscured jump shot. And it looked a bit knuckle balled.. hope he is at least a threat outside? We know the way out D is set up and I fear his talent would not be unleashed to its fullest. Been a while since we have really amped up the pressure. If he isn't a threat from outside JB may not give him the time...

He shot 43% from 3 and 63% from the line for the City Rocks. I don't think shooting is his main strength, but he can make them when he is open.

Last edited:

I think he ripped at about a 40% rate from outside this season

Great post. No disrespect intended toward Ducharme, but I like this kid's game more.
Ducharme vs. Gertrude feels like comparing elite but raw athleticism with actual basketball skills.

Gertrude could be super athletic two year bust who never puts it together (or only after college) while Ducharme feels like a four year contributor who can make the rotation year one of his shooting skill.

I guess with the terrific baseline class we recruited this past year, you shoot for the stars to bring us back to national prominence and not the program guys, but what a risk to turn down the bird in the hand!

Ducharme vs. Gertrude feels like comparing elite but raw athleticism with actual basketball skills.

Gertrude could be super athletic two year bust who never puts it together (or only after college) while Ducharme feels like a four year contributor who can make the rotation year one of his shooting skill.

I guess with the terrific baseline class we recruited this past year, you shoot for the stars to bring us back to national prominence and not the program guys, but what a risk to turn down the bird in the hand!
That's exactly my thought. We have solid pieces. A well-placed 5-star or two over the next couple years could make us a contender. Still have to maintain solid pieces though and keep them flowing into the program.

I disagree with your characterization of Gertrude as only an athlete. In the games I've watched, he's an impact player, and often the best player, on both ends of the floor.

I disagree with your characterization of Gertrude as only an athlete. In the games I've watched, he's an impact player, and often the best player, on both ends of the floor.
Fair enough, he was described as very athletic with a knuckleball shot up thread, so didn't sound super skilled.

The descriptions triggered the "shoot for the star" comparison I made, although Gertrude may not be the example I was looking for.

Fair enough, he was described as very athletic with a knuckleball shot up thread, so didn't sound super skilled.

The descriptions triggered the "shoot for the star" comparison I made, although Gertrude may not be the example I was looking for.

No worries. I just think this kid is better than a lot of people might think. One of those kids who's a true difference maker.

Some players have it, most don't. Whatever "it" is, this kid has it.

No worries. I just think this kid is better than a lot of people might think. One of those kids who's a true difference maker.

Some players have it, most don't. Whatever "it" is, this kid has it.
I agree, and the only thing lacking in the videos is his three point shot. His midrange shot is great. He cuts across and pulls up from the foul line like MJ.

Gertrude’s best attributes are getting the ball to the basket for himself and playing great defense. He reminds me of Josh Hart. Not saying he is as good as him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom