Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 84 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girard visiting BC IMO doesn't look good for Syracuse. If he was sold on SU the BC visit isn't needed. He's not a make it or break it recruit by any means, but losing him (if that does happen) increases the pressure to land our other guys. Akok is far from a slam dunk, and many have suggested he could be leaning towards Providence.

We have Goodine who is a top 100 player joining Carey and Buddy next year. That's not even counting Washington and Hughes.

Would people rather have Goodine or Girard?

You don’t know if carey will be there or not

Why go to BC over Syracuse? This seems like his father pushing him away from cuse. That would be the crystal balls cloudy 20 percent. I can say however that this could be him covering his own arse he could say well I already visited a few schools so that’s that and commit next weekend

Girard visiting BC IMO doesn't look good for Syracuse. If he was sold on SU the BC visit isn't needed. He's not a make it or break it recruit by any means, but losing him (if that does happen) increases the pressure to land our other guys. Akok is far from a slam dunk, and many have suggested he could be leaning towards Providence.
The only thing BC can realistically offer is less competition for playing time.

You don’t know if carey will be there or not

Given that Frank and Tyus are going to be taking up 90%+ of all the guard minutes this season, there's a 99.999% chance that Carey doesn't get enough run to show out and jump to the Association.

See: Waiters, Dion & Carter-Williams, Michael.

Joe will play at least twenty minutes a game. If he is scared off because he has to wait a year we’ll then idk what to tell ya. Hopefully this is just to have fun this weekend before football starts but who knows

Taking an official to BC
I do think BC could be the most legit threat. He’s already been there a couple of times and may see our backcourt as too crowded, with playing time at BC opening up faster. That said, I suspect SU is the leader.

We have Goodine who is a top 100 player joining Carey and Buddy next year. That's not even counting Washington and Hughes.

Would people rather have Goodine or Girard?
Word is Hughes is more of a forward, Carey could be gone in 2, and Howard Washington is no reason to stop recruiting a player like Girard who is probably a better prospect. Great programs continue to recruit great talent.

Oh please this is a freakin forum

...extensively populated by alumni of a university who are protective of that university's academic reputation as reflected by the quality of (even casual) communications by its associates, especially considering that one of that university's academic crown jewels is dedicated to developing excellent writers. ;)

He's down on the list of priorities for Duke ( who gets everyone) and Michigan ( who usually recruits at a slightly lower level than Cuse). Maybe he see himself as a BC level player.

I also remember Francis pointing out that Boeheim's offense isn't setup for a player with his skill set. Maybe he's looking for somewhere that would prioritize him in their offense.

Last edited:
It's insane to think some fans don't want Girard. The kid can flat out shoot from anywhere, is tough as nails, and is a winner. A Gmac clone in my opinion. He may have some shortcomings and may not be a perfect fit for the zone but that didn't seem to be a problem for Gmac. If I'm not mistaken we won our only NC with Gmac starting and playing a vital role. Also won two big east tournament titles in his era. Girard is not going to have to score 20 ppg, but will be a four year player who will be contribute and bring a winning attitude. And he's a local kid who will bring a flock of fans from the capital region every game. Sign me up for him every day and twice on Sundays!
I don’t know anyone that doesn’t want him but his NYS scoring record is basically deception. The league is mediocre and gives a false sense of a pistol pete super scorer. I played in that league when i was in High school so I know it pretty well. When he plays for the city rocks his scoring comes back to reality.

He's down on the list of priorities for Duke ( who gets everyone) and Michigan ( who usually recruits at a slightly lower then Cuse). Maybe he see himself as a BC level player.

I also remember Francis pointing out that Boeheim's offense isn't setup for a player with his skill set. Maybe he's looking for somewhere that would prioritize him in their offense.

Michigan is now out of the picture both because of distance and they just committed their final opening. I believe BC is in the race because of location, and they are an ACC school. I think it is us or BC and the kid wants to check all the boxes before his decision. We should get an answer very soon.

This isn't Michigan or Duke. BC has had some players but hasn't been a post season player in a long time. With Gerry on the case, with his post season and big game prowess can't see what BC could possibly have to offer besides location. Location we also offer along with much more.

BC, and like-schools, can offer more/immediate playing time. If he comes to The Harvard of CNY, a red-shirt year might be in his future. That said, 5 years of 70k+ scholarships with an opportunity to graduate early AND get a Masters doesn't sound bad to me.

Word is Hughes is more of a forward, Carey could be gone in 2, and Howard Washington is no reason to stop recruiting a player like Girard who is probably a better prospect. Great programs continue to recruit great talent.

I don’t think the log jam at guard was cited as a reason to stop recruiting Girard, I think it was cited as a reason he could choose BC over SU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom