Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 81 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats my point. We never beat out those guys. Not even for a small forward who ends up tranfering out. All of the excuses are gone. Hop, sanctions, gone. Lets see if Jim and staff have the chops to close. We have Battle, Frank, Chewy, Osh, all leaving. Landing a stud Center and Forward should be a layup.

When has a stud center ever been a layup? This statement borders on ridiculous. We've landed basically three in our history all within 3 years of each other; DC II, Rak and FAB. Maybe throw Rosie in there.

Ronnie Seikly, who walked in the door and said he wants to play for SU. That's a layup.

Except for the spelling of his names, apparently. :p

Also - when he walked in the door, he was horrible at basketball.
It wasn't until he was a Junior that he was good, and then great as a Senior.

Ronnie Seikly, who walked in the door and said he wants to play for SU. That's a layup.

Can you imagine?

6-10 guy walks into Boeheim's office -- "Hi there, coach, I'm enrolled as a student here at Syracuse, and I'm interested in trying out for the basketball team..."

Last edited:

He had played soccer in his home country and was an overall good athlete at the time he went into see Boeheim. Of course, I am sure that the saying “you can teach some one how to play basketball but you can’t teach height” came into play.

SLAM‏Verified account @SLAMonline 6h6 hours ago
More

Joe Girard III averaged 50 POINTS a game this past season
203c.png
On Monday at 7:15 p.m. ET, make sure you catch his Dyckman debut in the 3rd SLAM Showdown. Hit the link for more
27a1.png
SLAM Summer Hoops at Dyckman

Syracuse has had a bunch of stud centers at the college level
If he didnt have a such a temper and could have played 4 years Bill Smith would have put up unheard of numbers for a career. Smith was better than any of the centers mentioned earlier from the 2000's

Danny Shayes played behind Bouie until his senior year then played 18 years in the NBA and was near a lottery pick.

Etan Thomas was 2 time big east Defensive player of the year and played like 8 years in the NBA and was like a lottery pick.

Syracuse has had a bunch of stud centers at the college level
If he didnt have a such a temper and could have played 4 years Bill Smith would have put up unheard of numbers for a career. Smith was better than any of the centers mentioned earlier from the 2000's

Danny Shayes played behind Bouie until his senior year then played 18 years in the NBA and was near a lottery pick.

Etan Thomas was 2 time big east Defensive player of the year and played like 8 years in the NBA and was like a lottery pick.

FWIW, I strongly believe that Bill Smith might be the best pivot we've had at SU.

That includes Rony, Rosie, and everyone else.

Last edited:
FWIW my comment about not getting many stud centers was in relation to recruiting. Smith and Schayes came in before the modern era of recruiting where guys are ranked heavily watched and reported on. Derrick Thomas, if I recall, was a bit of a diamond in the rough.

FWIW my comment about not getting many stud centers was in relation to recruiting. Smith and Schayes came in before the modern era of recruiting where guys are ranked heavily watched and reported on. Derrick Thomas, if I recall, was a bit of a diamond in the rough.
We had a nice streak of 3 McDonald’s All Americans in a row, but not much else.

Yo- aren’t you forgetting Vic Hanson?

So what’s that now, 6 or 7 in the last 120 years, that’s Big Man U territory!

Girard can flat out score. He does have some noticeable weaknesses in his game though.

- His handling of being pressured needs work. Panics a bit and then is sloppy and non Chalant passing out of pressure.

- He at times you can see slows the game and stops the ball too much. In this game lots of iso ball so somewhat to be expected but didnt see much court vision or effort to successfully pick his guys out on the break.

- Defensively he is a bit slow footed and indecisive.

This is just one game but you can see where he needs to really work on some things to be a PG and not just an undersized SG. There a lot of elements similar to Gerry. He has no shyness about pulling the trigger and has high confidence based on the shots he is taking.

Anyone know when this will all end? I thought I saw a while ago that he wanted to commit before football started. Any insiders have any knowledge they are willing to share either here or through a PM. Thanks.

This kid will be fine. Would like to have him as a piece.

Right? Last year, we couldn't throw the ball in the ocean on offense, and had virtually no bench scoring.

Despite the gaudy HS ppg average, Girard seems like a really nice complimentary player who is a strong shooter. He'd be a nice piece of the puzzle to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom