Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 155 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a quick release. He is blowing by people and finishing at the rim. SU doesnt have any guards who has this kind of release and the ability to finish.

He has a quick release. He is blowing by people and finishing at the rim. SU doesnt have any guards who has this kind of release and the ability to finish.

Unreal shooting but I don't think his ability to drive will translate in college (at least initially). Dude is going to be special on the perimeter.

I was suspect on him when he signed but glad that we got him but now my excitement is ramping up, he is just on another level shooting, being able to drag the D out to that range alone makes everyone else better on the floor, and his athleticism is more than enough in my opinion to play at this level, crafty around the hoop and knows how to draw contact. Gmac 2.0!

There were a lot of people who were and still are suspect how his game translate to the next level. But he does so many things well with a dash of pepper. Best case scenario would be a combo of GMac and Devo. That's very lofty.

I look at Buddy and the success he is having and in my view JG3 is an equal or better shooter with alot more in tangibles, Buddy is 6'6" so that provides its own benefits but the attention paid to Buddy now coming off a screen is opening our offense up and creating better flow from the start of the year, JG3 will only add to that.

His shot mechanics are a lot better than Gmac's ever were. If Buddy's are similar to Klay Thompson's, Girard's looks similar to Curry's. Not saying they are the same players just that their mechanics are the same.

This kid gets buckets. Insert Gus Johnson’s call, but pretend it says “Joe Girard”

His release is quick and his range is in the gym. His handle seems to have improved, he's great from the line and he is not scared. He doesn't back up or down. I don't think he starts next year but he will make people work - kid competes. If he had gone to BC he's the guy who hits 8 three's from 35 feet and we are like "why didn't we recruit him".

Is it safe to say he is light years ahead of where fredette was at this point in his career?

That’s a good point. I know people who have seen him and know the game. The first thing out of their mouths isn’t “incredible shooter” or “quick release”...it’s “he’s a tough SOB”.

I vaguely remember hearing similar things about GMAC and Edelin their first year on the hill. Didn't matter if they were with or without Carmelo in pickup games...they weren't losing

I wish he were 2-3 inches taller, so JB wouldn't have excuses to sit him because of the zone.

If this year proves anything, it's that if your guards can't prevent dribble penetration and consistently allow open looks from ball movement, it doesn't matter if you're playing 6'6" guys up top. Teams will always get good looks against bad defense.

If JG3 was in 2K his badges would look like this: Limitless Range (gold), Catch and Shoot (Gold) Relentless Finisher (Silver) Deep Range Deadeye (Gold), Free Throw Ace (Gold), Difficult Shots (Gold), One Man Fast Break (Silver), Tireless Scorer (Gold).

Unfortunately Girard's "Carmello" went to Washington...obviously different types of players but Stewart would of given you a hell of a chance instead of just a chance to win it all.

Those highlights are eye popping.

Can’t wait to see him in Orange.

At the 37 second mark what would you guess on that ? 28 footer ?

The step back 3 at the 1 minute mark is NBA range. I've seen him hit this shot his entire career.

This is where it just doesn't matter what the competition is. He hits 3's from literally everywhere on the court and his range extends to 28ft at least.

When you add a PG and SF who can create off the dribble forcing early help defense, good luck keeping Girard from shooting. If you press man him and deny him from catching and shooting then you've taken a defender entirely out of the game. Its imperative we have a PG who can create.

Unfortunately Girard's "Carmello" went to Washington...obviously different types of players but Stewart would of given you a hell of a chance instead of just a chance to win it all.
He hasn’t signed his letter of intent yet?

He is sitting on 49.7 this year. 4449 for his career. that puts him 9th all time in NFHS record book. he can get a bit higher, but some of those numbers this high are crazy..

LA has most of the kids with record but they played huge numbers of games

#1 at 6702 but he also played 60 game seasons
#2 at 5367 played 60 game seasons

LA must have played 3-4 times a week back then 5 of the top 7 all time from LA

his season per game avg is now 6th all time.

His shot mechanics are a lot better than Gmac's ever were. If Buddy's are similar to Klay Thompson's, Girard's looks similar to Curry's. Not saying they are the same players just that their mechanics are the same.

Agreed. And where Buddy is most effective in a catch and shoot situation, or maybe a shot fake, one dribble and a shot...Girard looks comfortable shooting off the dribble, stepbacks, etc. which is more like Curry. Also the deeper range.

I think having questions on how his ball handling, driving, and defense will translate to this level are fair and reasonable. But at the very least he should be able to help us as a perimeter shooter. How many shooters have we had that can really shoot off the dribble like that?

He has a terrible temper. Ok I had to interject at least one negative. But so did Devo.

But if he goes to the free throw line with the game on the line....wow what a historically different feeling we all will have!

Is it safe to say he is light years ahead of where fredette was at this point in his career?
I live in the area and have followed both. Me and a friend were just talking about how we never thought we would say this, but JG3 is actually well ahead of Jimmer at the same point SR year of high school in terms of range, dribbling, and driving to the hoop! Obviously now that Jimmer is 30 and is an elite scorer from many spots on the floor it might appear JG3 will never catch him in that aspect, but his stroke/release is much quicker than Jimmer’s ever was! I guess we will just have to stay tuned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom