Chad Ford has MCW going 13th ESPN insider link | Syracusefan.com

Chad Ford has MCW going 13th ESPN insider link

Alsacs

Living Legend
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...3-nba-draft-chad-ford-debuts-first-mock-draft
Analysis: The Mavs have been riding Darren Collison all season at the point and there's a chance they re-sign him as a restricted free agent this summer. Whether they do or don't, Carter-Williams seems like a safe play. When he's good, he looks like a top-five pick. When he's off, he doesn't look like a first-rounder. He's a good passer with great size for his position and a very smooth athlete. He lacks a jump shot and needs to get stronger, but there's so much potential there, the Mavs could swing for the fences with him at No. 13

LOL at Mitch McGary at 12 what a joke. McGary will be LUCKY if he ends up with a career similar to Nick Collison.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...3-nba-draft-chad-ford-debuts-first-mock-draft
Analysis: The Mavs have been riding Darren Collison all season at the point and there's a chance they re-sign him as a restricted free agent this summer. Whether they do or don't, Carter-Williams seems like a safe play. When he's good, he looks like a top-five pick. When he's off, he doesn't look like a first-rounder. He's a good passer with great size for his position and a very smooth athlete. He lacks a jump shot and needs to get stronger, but there's so much potential there, the Mavs could swing for the fences with him at No. 13

LOL at Mitch McGary at 12 what a joke. McGary will be LUCKY if he ends up with a career similar to Nick Collison.
lucky him http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nick_collison/bio.html

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

lucky him http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nick_collison/bio.html

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
I said would be LUCKY to be Nick Collison. Collison is a solid role player in the NBA, but he isn't an allstar or even a starter on a good team. Collison is a perfect backup C for Oklahoma City behind Kendrick Perkins. The media is making McGary out to be this awesome unstoppable player. In case you didn't realize that was my point. Collison was picked in the early teens in the 2003 draft, but was NBA ready after playing 4 years of college basketball. McGary is a Freshman who didn't play over 25 mpg till the NCAA tournament and now the Chad Ford's of the world are putting him in the lottery.

McGary is going to be a hell of a player. You're comparing him to Collison, but imagine if McGary stayed four years, where he'd be as a senior and then compare him to where Collison was as a senior. He'll be better than Nick Collison.

I'd take McGary of Zeller if I needed a big in this draft. McGary at years end was one of the best bigs in the NCAA and he was just starting to get it. He'll be all american if he's back next year.

I'd take McGary of Zeller if I needed a big in this draft. McGary at years end was one of the best bigs in the NCAA and he was just starting to get it. He'll be all american if he's back next year.
But. . .he turns 22 in June.

McGary is going to be a hell of a player. You're comparing him to Collison, but imagine if McGary stayed four years, where he'd be as a senior and then compare him to where Collison was as a senior. He'll be better than Nick Collison.

McGary = Kris Humphries 2.0. Good rebounder and pretty good offense. Bad to average defender. Probably a lottery pick on potential. But he's a role player.

MCW could blossom into a top 10 PG in the NBA, if his shot continues to evolve.

Also funny, because where did Nick Collison go in the draft? #12. In a more loaded draft.

Collison has been a good NBA player he's just not a star. He's been a rotational player everywhere he's been though.

McGary has the skillset to be more than just a Humphries thats for sure. He is not afraid to handle the ball a little, attacks the rim and has good form on his jumpshot. I think he is a little bulkier than he needs to be - could drop 10 lbs and still be a load. His bball iq, motor and court sense with another year in college bball could make him a top 10 pick next year. Add to the fact he finishes really well around the hoop and boards well.

Honestly, I see McGary being a lot closer to Kevin Love than Kris Humphries or Nick Collison. The major difference is that, unlike Love, McGary can't knock down the three.

Honestly, I see McGary being a lot closer to Kevin Love than Kris Humphries or Nick Collison. The major difference is that, unlike Love, McGary can't knock down the three.

McGary, barring an improvement on D, won't be playing much. If you can't play D, you aren't playing unless you are elite on the offensive end.

Kevin Love is one of the best power forwards in the game right now. McGary will never has his arsenal on the offensive end or his passing ability.

Nick Collison didn't have a high ceiling, but he was a decent rotation guy. McGary will be lucky if that's his career.

With MCW and his obvious athleticism, why at the age of 21 hasn't he developed an even mediocre outside shot. He is great with a floater in the lane and taking to the basket, but from mid range and out he has shown major inconsistencies. I don't understand why his outside shot is so flat. He's had high level coaching the last two years and I'm guessing good coaching in high school, yet he continues to have a significant hole in his game.

McGary, barring an improvement on D, won't be playing much. If you can't play D, you aren't playing unless you are elite on the offensive end.

Kevin Love is one of the best power forwards in the game right now. McGary will never has his arsenal on the offensive end or his passing ability.

Nick Collison didn't have a high ceiling, but he was a decent rotation guy. McGary will be lucky if that's his career.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he will be Kevin Love. But I think his ceiling is closer to that then to, say, Nick Collison. I really think he will be better than Collison when it's all said and done, but obviously not as good as Love.

I was just looking at the first round of the 03 draft. There are something like 12 or 13 first rounders who are even rotation guys a decade later. Seems pretty crazy to me.

Love couldn't knock down the 3 when he first arrived in the NBA either. Of course, expecting any big man (including McGary) to make that kind of a quantum leap is asking a lot.

Also funny, because where did Nick Collison go in the draft? #12. In a more loaded draft.
True, but he is considered a major disappointment. He was drafted there because he was projected to be much better than he turned out. Using past draft positions as a comparisons as a gauge for current players is not a very sound logic. Darko was #2, ahead of Melo. Don't you think Detroit would like a do over?

Love couldn't knock down the 3 when he first arrived in the NBA either. Of course, expecting any big man (including McGary) to make that kind of a quantum leap is asking a lot.

Love's offense was actually a pleasant surprise. He was much better from the start than anyone suspected. He did improve his range but he was a solid jump shooter.

True, but he is considered a major disappointment. He was drafted there because he was projected to be much better than he turned out. Using past draft positions as a comparisons as a gauge for current players is not a very sound logic. Darko was #2, ahead of Melo. Don't you think Detroit would like a do over?

I would disagree with the first part, agree with the second. I don't think he's considered a disappointment at all. He's a solid rotation player for one of the best teams in the league. Drafts usually don't go 12 deep with stars. If you go through the 2003 draft I doubt you find 12 better players than Nick Collison. Here's my shot at it:

Obvious picks: Lebron, Melo, Wade, Bosh. Probably David West.
Same rough group: Luke Ridnour, Boris Diaw, Kirk Hinrich, Mo Williams, Kendrick Perkins, Chris Kaman Josh Howard (when he was good, bu t he's out of the league now)

Collison is probably one of the 8-10 best players in the draft.

Another way to look at it, past #12 picks.
2008: Jason Thompson
2007: Thaddeus Young
2006: Hilton Armstrong
2005: Yaraslov Koravev
2004: Robert Swift
2002: Melvin Ely
2001: Vlad Radmanovic
2000: Etan Thomas
1999:Aleksandar Radojević
1998: Michael Doleac

That's the 5 years before and the 5 years after. The most recent 2 are the only ones in Collison's league as a player.

Love's offense was actually a pleasant surprise. He was much better from the start than anyone suspected. He did improve his range but he was a solid jump shooter.

He was a 35% 3pt shooter in college. He took 2 a game. And he shot 56% overall from the floor. His offense and his rebounding are why he was drafted.

I would disagree with the first part, agree with the second. I don't think he's considered a disappointment at all. He's a solid rotation player for one of the best teams in the league. Drafts usually don't go 12 deep with stars. If you go through the 2003 draft I doubt you find 12 better players than Nick Collison. Here's my shot at it:

Obvious picks: Lebron, Melo, Wade, Bosh. Probably David West.
Same rough group: Luke Ridnour, Boris Diaw, Kirk Hinrich, Mo Williams, Kendrick Perkins, Chris Kaman Josh Howard (when he was good, bu t he's out of the league now)

Collison is probably one of the 8-10 best players in the draft.

Another way to look at it, past #12 picks.
2008: Jason Thompson
2007: Thaddeus Young
2006: Hilton Armstrong
2005: Yaraslov Koravev
2004: Robert Swift
2002: Melvin Ely
2001: Vlad Radmanovic
2000: Etan Thomas
1999:Aleksandar Radojević
1998: Michael Doleac

That's the 5 years before and the 5 years after. The most recent 2 are the only ones in Collison's league as a player.

Yeah, in no way was Collison a disappointment. People need to start watching the NBA.

Yeah, in no way was Collison a disappointment. People need to start watching the NBA.

Agree with that, but I think it's also an issue of what to expect out of draft picks. Most of the guys who are picked outside the top 3 or 5 don't become star players, or anything close to it. If you have a late lottery pick and take a guy who ends up being a 3rd big guy in the league for going on a decade, that's a great pick. There aren't many Kobe Bryant's going in the late lottery.

Agree with that, but I think it's also an issue of what to expect out of draft picks. Most of the guys who are picked outside the top 3 or 5 don't become star players, or anything close to it. If you have a late lottery pick and take a guy who ends up being a 3rd big guy in the league for going on a decade, that's a great pick. There aren't many Kobe Bryant's going in the late lottery.

Agree. Late lottery is a rotation guy that should play for 10 years, imo.

Anything more is a bonus.

He was a 35% 3pt shooter in college. He took 2 a game. And he shot 56% overall from the floor. His offense and his rebounding are why he was drafted.
Two a game from behind the old college line (19-9?), is no guarantee that your 3-point shooting is going to translate to the NBA game.