Chad Ford has MCW going 13th ESPN insider link | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chad Ford has MCW going 13th ESPN insider link

I would disagree with the first part, agree with the second. I don't think he's considered a disappointment at all. He's a solid rotation player for one of the best teams in the league. Drafts usually don't go 12 deep with stars. If you go through the 2003 draft I doubt you find 12 better players than Nick Collison. Here's my shot at it:

Obvious picks: Lebron, Melo, Wade, Bosh. Probably David West.
Same rough group: Luke Ridnour, Boris Diaw, Kirk Hinrich, Mo Williams, Kendrick Perkins, Chris Kaman Josh Howard (when he was good, bu t he's out of the league now)

Collison is probably one of the 8-10 best players in the draft.

Another way to look at it, past #12 picks.
2008: Jason Thompson
2007: Thaddeus Young
2006: Hilton Armstrong
2005: Yaraslov Koravev
2004: Robert Swift
2002: Melvin Ely
2001: Vlad Radmanovic
2000: Etan Thomas
1999:Aleksandar Radojević
1998: Michael Doleac

That's the 5 years before and the 5 years after. The most recent 2 are the only ones in Collison's league as a player.
Not sure how you can say that he was expected to be much better and then say he isn't a disappointment when he failed to live up to his expectations. The is exactly the definition of disappointing. Also, just looking at the #12 picks is not really relevant, although it is convenient. Why not look at all players drafted below him? That would be more revealing.

Yeah, in no way was Collison a disappointment. People need to start watching the NBA.
If you are referring to me, I assure you I have seen more NBA than you have. Collison is absolutely a disappointment based on where he was drafted. His career would be expected of a late first or early second round pick.

Agree. Late lottery is a rotation guy that should play for 10 years, imo.

Anything more is a bonus.
That is absurd. Typically team are looking for stars 1-5, starters the rest of the lottery. Rotation guys go to early second round and the rest are development projects, gambles, or just plain flyers.

As much as MCW still needs to improve in some areas, I'd be tempted to take him second among point guards over Burke. Smart will be picked first it appears. I see more upside in MCW than I do Burke. Guess we'll see a few years down the road. Good luck MCW!

If you are referring to me, I assure you I have seen more NBA than you have. Collison is absolutely a disappointment based on where he was drafted. His career would be expected of a late first or early second round pick.

I think that is a little much. If you expect an early second round pick to have at least a 10 year career as a solid rotation playerthan your expectations are way too high. It happens, but it's much more likely they wash out of the league after a year or two riding someone's bench.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NBA_Draft

Here's the 03 draft. Collison went 12th. How many players in that draft are better than him? (I did this before, there are some definites like Lebron, Melo, Wade, Bosh, probably David West. Then you get a bunch of maybes. Boris Diaw,Luke Ridnour, Kirk Hinrich, Kendrick Perkins, Mo Williams, Carlos Delfino. I can't put Collison outside the top 10 though. He's been a very solid player for a long time)

As much as MCW still needs to improve in some areas, I'd be tempted to take him second among point guards over Burke. Smart will be picked first it appears. I see more upside in MCW than I do Burke. Guess we'll see a few years down the road. Good luck MCW!

Completely agreed. I have to see some more of Smart. I haven't watched all that much of him, so I'll have to check out some videos of him, but something about him rubs me the wrong way, and I don't think Burke will be a good pro honestly. Backup PG in my mind.