Champions League week one | Syracusefan.com

Champions League week one

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Great start by United over Leverkusen. Rooney looking happy and dangerous.

PSG, Man City and Real Madrid with very strong road wins, piling up the goal differential.

Juve with an away goal, but have to be disappointed with a draw in Copenhagen, who are the weaklings of the group. Shaktar with a strong road win, too. They have done great in Champions League the past few seasons.

Looking forward to Chelsea v. Basel on DVR when I get home.

The Basel loss definitely hurt. Hopefully Jose can get his eggs in a row before the Derby this weekend...

The Basel loss definitely hurt. Hopefully Jose can get his eggs in a row before the Derby this weekend...

He's gotta start playing Mata. Oscar and Hazard are great, but you've got to get the little man in there, too. And then, really, he ought to use Luiz as his holding midfielder. They need another true center back. Luiz takes too many chances to be your last line of defense.

Mata definitely needs to be in there, in the center of the pitch. He's still not 100% though and I don't think that they want to put him in if there's a risk having him go the full 90.

Luiz I don't agree with as a holder. Solely for the fact that he's the best CB on the squad. The other options are Terry, who hasn't moved well at all this year and Cahill whom I don't rate at all. Azpilicueta - Ivanovic - Luiz - Cole is our best back line at this point which is mildly frightening.