Changes needed by Saturday | Syracusefan.com

Changes needed by Saturday

dinosaurbbq

2nd String
1. Pass Defense needs to play man much more often instead of zone predominantly. I'm guessing they have played zone in part due to concerns about stopping the run with inexperienced DL and due to concerns about whether our secondary can hang with the receivers they have faced in man. The trouble is that even if we would face a talent deficit playing man, with opposing WR being more talented than our secondary, the secondary is so confused in zone that scheme failures are creating much more space for WR than talent deficits would. On top of that, pass defense has obviously been much worse than run defense. Finally, with the frequency of blitzing we have presented, we need to be playing man when we blitz to stop the QBs from finding massive holes in our zone and at least give the secondary a chance to break up a play one on one. The most significant factor necessitating this change, though, is simply that our secondary looks so confused in zone that they aren't able to even try to match up with WR and compete.

2. TE needs to be involved in the passing game. Not just more, really just at all! As many on here have said, they disappeared. TE was a real strength of this team last year and should be this year, as well. Plain and simple, we need weapons on the field and have displayed very few to date. If WR can't get open, which is obvious, we have to throw the TE out there as an easy outlet and potential mismatch along with our Hbacks.

3. Running game -- Rome needs to be carrying the ball at least 20 times a game. It is obviously the strength of this team and he is the strength of the running game. He is a returning 1,000 yard rusher who is averaging only 14 touches a game, which is less than last year. He looks great--stronger and faster than last year. We saw what he did with 18 touches against Clemson = 125 yards. Also, GMII and DM need to be moved ahead of PTG on the RB depth chart. Better moves, better burst, more talent.

4. And finally -- Win against a quality opponent!

I know the staff is a hell of a lot smarter and more experienced than I am about College Football. They have to see these things, right? If we try #1-3 and fail worse, then it will be clear that the staff made correct decisions on those issues and I was wrong to criticize or propose these changes. If we just keep making the same mistakes with piss poor passing defense, no passing game and a below average running game and don't try these changes, I'll lose faith in the ability of this staff to recognize issues and attempt to address them.

Two paths for the coaches:

1. Wash out memories of Saturday, go with the schemes in place, and continue with the veterans. Without a bye week, it is difficult to make dramatic changes, so go with what worked against Tulane.

2. Make adjustments now, in addition to the ones forced by injuries (Lyn).

We have under-utilized talents in Morris and McFarlane. The TEs aren't getting much action (though Broyld as an H-back run TE routes over the middle).

Estime needs to get on the field -- not alternating with Broyld, but on the outside in place of Kobena or Clark.

The secondary -- ??

I totally agree with your first three "changes" paragraphs. I would agree with your third "quality opponent" paragraph, but I would have to see what your definition of quality is in this regard. In my opinion, all of the remaining foes fit this definition, more or less. Each win going forward would be a "quality win" in my Orange-colored world.

I think the biggest change needed for Saturday is already accomplished. We've changed opponents.

the TE's were great last year against Zone teams or when teams were worried about the Wr.. the Te's last week could not get open against tight man by the LB

I am looking at the coaches and they need to change there game plan and approach. I don't really care that Morris should be ahead of PTG or Whigham needs to be ahead of Anderson. I care about the changes the coaches our making to the game plan to help our DB stop getting burned and to help our WR get open. If they do that by changing personal or my changing game plan I don't care I just need to see them do something positive from a coaching perspective.

Every fan's wish. I don't care what you do, but just do what works, and stop doing those other things. Score more points; don't let them score so many. Play the right guys at the right times. Easy.

"I know the staff is a hell of a lot smarter and more experienced than I am about College Football..."

12th man ritchie desir was 30 yds deep to field a punt on 3rd down. just sayin'.

This is like Rutgers basketball callingfor a total revamp of their team, system and coaches because they just got waxed by Syracuse basketball

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom