Changing Expectations | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Changing Expectations

I see fewer and fewer kids wearing SU jerseys. Now it's just Golden State crap. Parents have faced an almost impossible job grooming the next generation of SU fans. We're losing a generation.

But JB. Equity.
Or Steph Curry and the warriors have done a great job marketing themselves. They were the face of the NBA for half a decade. And I mean like, I love Syracuse basketball, never owned a jersey.

Somewhere, probably not Syracuse.
Why would they leave? No one coming in to replace them, everyone getting time on the court, JB admitted he’s not yelling at them anymore. Might a couple transfer over the next 3 years? Sure, but I doubt any more than 1 of them leave via the portal this year.

Why would they leave? No one coming in to replace them, everyone getting time on the court, JB admitted he’s not yelling at them anymore. Might a couple transfer over the next 3 years? Sure, but I doubt any more than 1 of them leave via the portal this year.
A couple will leave. That's just what happens these days, particularly here.

A couple will leave. That's just what happens these days, particularly here.
Over time yeah, but I can’t see any reason for any of them to leave this year, thus far

Over time yeah, but I can’t see any reason for any of them to leave this year, thus far
I don't think the reasons will be very apparent to us fans. Someone we think that's been getting decent enough time will want to move on to get more somewhere else, etc. It's just the nature of the beast, and if the season ends in disappointing fashion there will be a player or 2 who'll want greener pastures.

I thought the same in 2021, and then *2 starters and the 6th man all left.

You just never know what their reasons and thinking are.

I hope you’re right on this, though.

*edit - was thinking Braswell was starting by the end of the year, but he was just getting starters minutes while Griffin got the quick hooks. So technically it was the two starting forwards and the guy who was effectively the starter in the tourney run.

Last edited:
I thought the same in 2021, and then 2 starters and the 6th man all left.

Well, hopefully they will look at those transfers and ask themselves, is a 33% chance to be in a slightly better position than I am now worth it.

10 years ago I would obsess over our RPI, potential NCAA seed, Bracketmatrix, etc. after every game. I honestly miss doing that. It was part of my daily routine.

Now, I basically treat basketball seasons like an SU football season in November when we're out of bowl contention. I'm going to watch every minute of every game and hope we win, but I'm not pacing around my living room with sweaty palms like I used to.
How much of this is about our age/maturation/etc? Even if we were good, i kinda think i would still have less of that obsession at this point in my life. Not sure. I mean, i don't feel anything with the same passion as when i was younger. In this case, it's hard to know, because SU hoops (and Red Sox baseball) were the only constants. Kinda weird that i haven't lost the interest—i'm still as active here (and on SoSH) as ever, but as you said—can't remember the last time i looked at the RPI (is that still a thing?), Top 20, etc. Brackets? Haven't cared about brackets since we were in contention for top seeds... Ugggh. It does feel like a loss. I keep wondering how much of this new apathy is permanent.

How much of this is about our age/maturation/etc? Even if we were good, i kinda think i would still have less of that obsession at this point in my life. Not sure. I mean, i don't feel anything with the same passion as when i was younger. In this case, it's hard to know, because SU hoops (and Red Sox baseball) were the only constants. Kinda weird that i haven't lost the interest—i'm still as active here (and on SoSH) as ever, but as you said—can't remember the last time i looked at the RPI (is that still a thing?), Top 20, etc. Brackets? Haven't cared about brackets since we were in contention for top seeds... Ugggh. It does feel like a loss. I keep wondering how much of this new apathy is permanent.
This.

I'm with you ZZ-
When SU played Butler in the 2002 NIT, saw opportunity for great seats/great price and pounced, ending up right down by the court.
I was in my 40's. There was a kid about 10yrs old with his dad in front of me, and several senior citizens in the row in front of them.
Great game -enjoyed watching that kid loving every minute being up close and yelling his head off all game long, jumping around supporting SU.
The old guy in front of him would glance back over his shoulder from time to time, then finally turned and blew up at the poor kid. He was one miserable old dude.
I'll never forget that -and remain determined to never be "that guy".
My own animated, loud support isn't what it was -age/maturation as you said.
I hope that fan noise never starts bothering me!

I thought the same in 2021, and then *2 starters and the 6th man all left.

*edit - was thinking Braswell was starting by the end of the year, but he was just getting starters minutes while Griffin got the quick hooks. So technically it was the two starting forwards and the guy who was effectively the starter in the tourney run.
That exodus crushed us last year and has lingering effects this year

Arinze doesn't get hurt, we win the title that year, no doubt in my mind.

The game after was KSU coming off a triple overtime game and were exhausted, then it was MSU with an injured key player and then an awful Duke team, relatively.

We would have smoked all those teams. We may have won even without Arinze and just beating Butler.

With Arinze, JB is cruising to his second title. Zero doubt in my mind.
Could not agree more. Best team (not most talented) in college that year. One of the best I had seen that decade.

jg3 jesse and ajok beg to differ

most of the freshman are 4 year players, imo
JBA tried to leave. Nobody wanted him.

Joe has the green like to shoot every time since he was a freshman, why would he leave?

What about the class after them? Didn’t mention any of them. Those three are literally the only players that came here as freshman that are still here since then. Not sure what the flex is.

Or Steph Curry and the warriors have done a great job marketing themselves. They were the face of the NBA for half a decade. And I mean like, I love Syracuse basketball, never owned a jersey.
Any grown man that wears a jersey with another grown man on it is kinda a loser.

Any grown man that wears a jersey with another grown man on it is kinda a loser.

Lol its funny- I've got quite a few jerseys but put them on the mancave wall. Last time I recall wearing a jersey was in college and before that it was wearing them when actually hooping.

JBA tried to leave. Nobody wanted him.

Joe has the green like to shoot every time since he was a freshman, why would he leave?

What about the class after them? Didn’t mention any of them. Those three are literally the only players that came here as freshman that are still here since then. Not sure what the flex is.
the "flex" is that I think the freshman class will stay for 4 years, for the most part. they wont have any reason to leave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom