charge/block | Syracusefan.com

charge/block

They really need to get rid of the charge. With the arc it seems that regardless if the defender is set the refs look to see if he is inside or outside of the arc. Such a dumb rule
If you are in the arc, and a secondary defender, it's a block, by rule

2eyxlqa.jpg

true story

They really need to get rid of the charge. With the arc it seems that regardless if the defender is set the refs look to see if he is inside or outside of the arc. Such a dumb rule
It may seem arbitrary (where the arc is drawn), but it's a good rule. If you don't make it crystal clear for the officials .. they get it wrong in critical situations. The block/charge rule has been changed multiple times ... usually to reduce charge calls. Under the old rule, Defenders (secondary) would creep under drivers and get charge calls. No one wanted that (ask Brandon Triche). Then they changed the rule to prohibit charges after the offensive players "gathered" -- it didn't work .. and they still got it wrong (ask CJ Fair). So now ... it's like charges/blocks for dummies ... here's the line.
It's the only thing they understand.

Just for fun, I just watched the SU-Duke game at Cameron where CJ was called for the charge. What bothered me as much as that call was Parker running over Gbinije on the way to the basket for an old fashioned 3-point play. Terrible call. Anyone else remember that play and agree/disagree. SU almost won the game with no production from Cooney.

The only problem I have with the charge circle (which I like) is that now it's almost lke if the defender is outside the circle, it's called a charge even if it should be a block because hey, he's outside the circle.

Getting rid of it makes no sense. If no charge existed, you'd get some huge guy two strides from the basket going fullback style through defenders for layups. It's a necessary rule that needs to be called correctly.

Worst part of a charge its a personal foul. Just make it a turnover. The ones I hate are the ones outside the paint. Where the call could go either way. Those are such garbage. Get rewarded for bodying your man 15+ feet from the basket=garbage. Maybe against a press but not one on one.

Kevin, thats what made the early Big East so much fun to watch, no harm no foul, officials let the kids play. If you wanted to draw a charge, you were gonna get run over. I just absolutely hate those calls and wish they would just say they are all blocks. You can't do that, I don't really think it would hurt the game. Of course this is just my opinion.

I think, in the long run, we will be better in the ACC because they don't allow the bruising style of play that the officials did in the Big East. We just need to get back to our old (five years ago) tempo.

Get rid of it and T up the defenders for flopping. Why reward a defender for getting there late? Stupid rule. The tweaks aren't working.

I have been SCREAMING that same thing for a few years. Nothing to do with the arc though. I have seen SO MANY crucial,end of game situations where an incorrect charge call decided the game. I hate the practice of sliding into a position like a blocking dummy,without making a play on the ball and getting a reward. I do recognize,however, that it's not as easy as saying- from here on out,that is a defensive foul. I hope they spend time on it. Refereeing continues to be a thankless,impossible job.

Entitlement of space. Guys have a right to play real defense. Standing there defenseless is stupid.

Getting rid of it makes no sense. If no charge existed, you'd get some huge guy two strides from the basket going fullback style through defenders for layups. It's a necessary rule that needs to be called correctly.

Otherwise known as the Lebron.

IS there another sport where the offensive player is penalized for attacking the goal/endzone/basket (assuming they are not punching/grabbing facemask, etc.?

Only in basketball is the defender rewarded for simply getting in an offensive player's path.

IS there another sport where the offensive player is penalized for attacking the goal/endzone/basket (assuming they are not punching/grabbing facemask, etc.?

Only in basketball is the defender rewarded for simply getting in an offensive player's path.

Football doesn't allow a receiver to run through a defender.

Why is this even a question?

College basketball rules favor the Defense. NBA favors the offense.

In the NBA you have to be set a good second before anyone barrels through you. Offensive fouls in the NBA tend to be more of the pushoff variety, than the block charge. We complain about offense in College Basketball, but the rules make it so difficult to get to the rim compared to the NBA.

I think there are two big problems.

1. The secondary defender shouldn't be rewarded for setting up camp. Being entitled to the space should mean you can hold your ground, not that you should be rewarded for falling when contact is initiated instead of trying to make a play on the ball.

2. The charge call invites theatrics. It has to be sold. It's not natural for guys to drop like a sniper took them out. They know if they don't though they won't get the whistle in their favor. That's a problem.

I'd be curious to see what happens if they just restricted the call to when the offensive player pushes off. People say you can't because then guys would just barrel to the basket. I'm not sure that's a bad thing though. Players would have to learn to get out of the way or go for the block or strip. That sounds more fun to me than players diving on to the floor.

I think there are two big problems.

1. The secondary defender shouldn't be rewarded for setting up camp. Being entitled to the space should mean you can hold your ground, not that you should be rewarded for falling when contact is initiated instead of trying to make a play on the ball.

2. The charge call invites theatrics. It has to be sold. It's not natural for guys to drop like a sniper took them out. They know if they don't though they won't get the whistle in their favor. That's a problem.

I'd be curious to see what happens if they just restricted the call to when the offensive player pushes off. People say you can't because then guys would just barrel to the basket. I'm not sure that's a bad thing though. Players would have to learn to get out of the way or go for the block or strip. That sounds more fun to me than players diving on to the floor.
That and how about a t for a flop? Its not soccer it's basketball. (stop the flop)

Getting rid of it makes no sense. If no charge existed, you'd get some huge guy two strides from the basket going fullback style through defenders for layups.
You mean, Buzz Williams basketball. That was Marquette's main offense against us when Baye was playing Center.

Getting rid of it makes no sense. If no charge existed, you'd get some huge guy two strides from the basket going fullback style through defenders for layups.
You mean, Buzz Williams basketball. That was Marquette's main offense against us when Baye was playing Center.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom