Class of 2018 - Chase Scanlan (NY: Silver Creek / IMG) Mid Transfer from Loyola to Syracuse | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Chase Scanlan (NY: Silver Creek / IMG) Mid Transfer from Loyola to Syracuse

ffs that went right over my head. W/ the jersey # cut off, I was trying to figure out who and what connection they had w/ Chase.

Does he come to a school he decommited from though ? I want him to come absolutely but it seems unlikely

Curry speaking about the seniors: "you could feel the love every time you walked into the locker room. Every time they spoke to you, they were speaking to you with love and wanted nothing but the best from us."

...I dont know, I could just be reaching, but we really need to land him.

Chase is likely aware that this Syracuse squad has a great locker room with a bunch of down to earth fun loving kids without big egos who get along on and off the field and truly support each other . He'd be warmly embraced and feel right at home from day one.

Really hard to tell what it means to be a blue collar locker room. My impression of the Irelan sweepstakes was the FOGO was looking for something similar to Scanlan, and Syracuse made his initial list because of that. Both players could have very different interpretations of what it means to be blue collar and ultimately we are trying to derive A LOT from only a few words. Really hope it works out as Scanlan would be a huge addition. Have to feel that its good news for SU that they have a lot of former IMG guys on the roster already, but not sure how to feel about the fact that he decommited from SU in the past.

As for Gray, given all the reports was not shocked that he did not end up at SU but I think he would have been a huge addition to the team. I think he makes UNC very good and like SU, gives them the "go-to guy" that they lacked last year. I think SU has better talent across the board than UNC right now, but I can certainly see the appeal of Chapel Hill. If he didn't end up at SU, UNC isn't the worst case scenario.

Hope this does not prove to be the case.. but there was a lot of positive projection yesterday about the prospect of Scanlan coming to Cuse ...and now the winds seen to be shifting and those “in the know” say no way ..all kinds of chatter about Albany and Cornell , PSU and mentions of UVA - which would be sickening ..also mentions of how native Americans have been treated at SU ..which I can’t speak to but seems strange given the tremendous linkage both past and present.

Let’s hope this is all conjecture as was much of the Chris Gray story - everyone had him at Duke and Yale and not many, if anyone, had him at UNC.

..also mentions of how native Americans have been treated at SU ..which I can’t speak to but seems strange given the tremendous linkage both past and present.
This rumor has been percolating for a number of years online. I also can’t speak to it but it’s been out there.

Hope this does not prove to be the case.. but there was a lot of positive projection yesterday about the prospect of Scanlan coming to Cuse ...and now the winds seen to be shifting and those “in the know” say no way ..all kinds of chatter about Albany and Cornell , PSU and mentions of UVA - which would be sickening ..also mentions of how native Americans have been treated at SU ..which I can’t speak to but seems strange given the tremendous linkage both past and present.

Let’s hope this is all conjecture as was much of the Chris Gray story - everyone had him at Duke and Yale and not many, if anyone, had him at UNC.

Well he apparently noted he was looking at ACC and B10 schools, that would mean no to Albany and Cornell. As for the infi about SU it is true that SU has fallen a bit out of favor with some of the nation guys especially local Onondaga Rez guys. That said we just had the Bomberrys anf have Owen Hill who are six nation guys not to mention Staats and nearly his brother. I wouldn't read to much into the scuttlebutt at this point. If we don't get him then we will have some issues to really think about.

God please hope I’m wrong but I will come out and say it-Scanlan won’t be wearing orange. Just a prediction based off what I know. Again hope I’m wrong, but better to set the bar low and be surprised rather than set it high and become disappointed/frustrated

I've heard some rumors of negative comments that some of the native players accidentally overheard from the coaching staff, and how those comments negatively impacted the recruiting of that native players, but nothing concrete enough to say it's definitely keeping kids from playing in the Dome.

Chase played at IMG with Tehoka and Albany is always looked at as a "blue collar" group, so they might be the front runners. And although it might not be what he is thinking of when he thinks "blue collar", I wonder if Virginia is a sleeper pick. His cousin, Zed Williams, played there and was a 2-time all-american.

What a crock of sheet floating here. Lockerroom is great and the staff treats all equally. All he needs to do is ask current and recent players about the prevailing culture. OC Donahue is a gem of a coach. Wont be finding any pretentious , pompous asshols here, just a bunch of down to earth kids who bond and mingle, play and and laugh together despite various backgrounds.

What a crock of sheet floating here. Lockerroom is great and the staff treats all equally. All he needs to do is ask current and recent players about the prevailing culture. OC Donahue is a gem of a coach. Wont be finding any pretentious , pompous asshols here, just a bunch of down to earth kids who bond and mingle, play and and laugh together despite various backgrounds.
That Drew Jenkins article in the DO just came out a few months ago.

Was that months ago? I thought that was at least two years ago when that came out.
It was over six years ago, recycled news.

Did Scanlan ever say why he decommitted from Cuse in the first place?
I have heard through different people that it was because he felt the coaches “didn’t really care about him” and were just utilizing the fact that they could get a free native player, or something along those lines anyway

No, it was never 100% clear.

And there's only one person who knows for sure and unless Chase chooses to divulge that information, then we are all speculating.

With that being said, a good education from SU, no cost with the Promise Scholarship, the ability to play infront of family and friends for a historically dominant program is nothing to scoff at. Head, heart and hustle is the embodiment of blue collar attitude.

That's blue collared for ya.
We used to be.

If they cant even figure out a way to land Scanlan, who once was a previous commit...I think its safe to say they cant recruit if their lives depended on it. I mean, he would easily fit into our rotation next year and mesh well with our guys. He's played with Fernandez, Donnelly, and Levandowski at IMG, played with Jerry Staats and Troy Lauder on the Iroquois National team, Owen Hill is also Native American. Not to mention he's closer to home (2.5 hours away) and his family would be able to attend every game. How many more stars need to align?? I think they've rested too much on their laurels. They're so used to everyone wanting to come to Syracuse, and not having to put much work in and now its showing that these coaches don't what they're doing. Mark my words: If Desko doesn't get this whole recruiting thing turned around (by bringing someone in that knows how to get guys in the door), that is going to be his downfall. We all know he knows how to coach, but if you cant get guys like Scanlan, who would've easily came to Syracuse 10 years ago, I think that says a whole lot about the direction this program is heading in.

Whatever happens with Scanlan should not change our over all opinions of the staff as recruiters. It will be entirely Scanlan's decision and I could easily see him being turned off by the fact that he committed here before among other reasons. We don't even know that his goal is to move closer to home. It could certainly be a desire for significantly better academics as well, since Loyola isn't exactly the Harvard of the Maryland. The problem will still be the fact we haven't been able to land a truly elite attack recruit over the last 2 years despite our massive need for one, and the string of decommits we had over the last offseason.

If he doesn't come here that doesn't mean things are overall worse, and if he does come here that doesn't mean that things have overall improved. I don't think it is wise to read too much into the overall state of things with these individual transfer situations. I am glad we reached out as soon as he entered the transfer portal. Also after seeing how wildly off people were with what they claimed to have heard from some unknown source regarding Chris Gray, we should consider completely ignoring all rumors and "based on what I've heard" type statements.

Whatever happens with Scanlan should not change our over all opinions of the staff as recruiters. It will be entirely Scanlan's decision and I could easily see him being turned off by the fact that he committed here before among other reasons. We don't even know that his goal is to move closer to home. It could certainly be a desire for significantly better academics as well, since Loyola isn't exactly the Harvard of the Maryland. The problem will still be the fact we haven't been able to land a truly elite attack recruit over the last 2 years despite our massive need for one, and the string of decommits we had over the last offseason.

Which further proves my point that these coaches don't know what their doing when it comes to recruiting in todays age. As for the better academics argument-- I think that is complete hogwash. Syracuse is a pretty darn good university for academics and nearly every student on the lacrosse team lands pretty good jobs after graduating. That's not even to mention the fact he would be getting a Syracuse education for FREE. If he decides to go anywhere other than Syracuse good on him, but that would basically be saying he would rather be in debt coming out of college than come here free of cost. And that would lead me to believe he does not like our staff.