Clapping before first made basket? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Clapping before first made basket?

do you like the clapping tradition?

• Total voters
Keep it, it's a tradition BUT find a way to bring everyone back on board w it. Right now it's pretty lame, many folks not participating, off beat (agree to fast mostly cuz no rhythm set by band & cheerleaders from the start...

If stop it- replace w something. After traveling to many away venues I have to say we are pretty pathetic when it comes to chant/cheers.

I've been to a bunch of UNLV games this season and even they do a better job.

That's true pretty much everywhere.

You can't be that much of a homer to not get this can you? I can name a bunch of arenas that are amped/juiced even for less stellar matchups. Pitt, UVA, Oklahoma St, Arizona, UNC, UK, KU, MSU, etc.

two3zone said:
I don't like it only because it seems to be the only intensity inside the dome during the entire game. Clap clap clap clap clap, we score, then everybody is sitting on their hands the rest of the game. And don't dare to stand up or or cheer too loudly because the people around you might get mad. Get rid of it, put the students around the court and let's start all this over again and turn the dome into a real atmosphere.

Such an exaggeration.

Such an exaggeration.

I don't know. Both myself and my girlfriend have been told by ushers to sit down after standing to applaud a great bucket or hustle play on non-consecutive occasions. It's weird when it happens.

You can't be that much of a homer to not get this can you? I can name a bunch of arenas that are amped/juiced even for less stellar matchups. Pitt, UVA, Oklahoma St, Arizona, UNC, UK, KU, MSU, etc.

I'm not buying it. Hell, Kentucky fans complain all the time on the national boards that they get a mostly 'wine and cheese' crowd for the lesser games.

The Dome is not unique with its perceived lack of atmosphere against the opponents who suck. Not even close.

If UConn and Pitt steal your traditions to make them their own, then they must be good enough to keep. :noidea:
We stole it from New Mexico.
U of A turned it around. They clap until the opponent scores a basket.

Also, can the student section please never do the 'I believe that we will win' chant ever again? Leave that for the small school that created it. Along that same line of thought, no more 'We are SU!' chants. That's Marshall's .

Yeah, he's a joke of a PA guy. Is he untouchable or something for crying out loud?! I would have him long gone before removing the clap tradition.

Mr. Excitement made me appreciate how much I took Carl Eilenberg for granted -- loved him as a PA guy.

Mr. Excitement made me appreciate how much I took Carl Eilenberg for granted -- loved him as a PA guy.

Okay, so I am apparently alone in that I don't hear him much at the games. Is it the 'Deuce for the Cuse' and 'Threeeeeeee for Trevorrrrr Coooooooneyyyyyyy' things that bug people or something else?

I've only been to two games now, both this year. And I like the clapping until the first basket. But I will admit the clapping is in no type of rhythm. Mostly because it's hard to keep a large group of people clapping in one rhythm if no rhythm is set in the first place.

Maybe somebody close to the program can mention that when tip-off starts one or two of the drum players set a beat for us to clap at. Hopefully that would end the off-beat clapping. That's my only concern with it.

Okay, so I am apparently alone in that I don't hear him much at the games. Is it the 'Deuce for the Cuse' and 'Threeeeeeee for Trevorrrrr Coooooooneyyyyyyy' things that bug people or something else?

I haven't been to a game in the Dome since the 13-14 season so he may not still do it, but he used to announce the stats of players during the starting lineups which just made me cringe. He would also introduce the team when they took the court in like February as the "X champions of whatever preseason tourney we played in." He just talks too much.

I've only been to two games now, both this year. And I like the clapping until the first basket. But I will admit the clapping is in no type of rhythm. Mostly because it's hard to keep a large group of people clapping in one rhythm if no rhythm is set in the first place.

Maybe somebody close to the program can mention that when tip-off starts one or two of the drum players set a beat for us to clap at. Hopefully that would end the off-beat clapping. That's my only concern with it.
It used to be much more rhythmic and building up in speed. The crowd used to be able to keep the same beat. I think the crowds today are just more stupider.;)

It used to be much more rhythmic and building up in speed. The crowd used to be able to keep the same beat. I think the crowds today are just more stupider.;)

Maybe they should use some visuals on the ribbon boards to get the clapping in sync.

Also, can the student section please never do the 'I believe that we will win' chant ever again? Leave that for the small school that created it. Along that same line of thought, no more 'We are SU!' chants. That's Marshall's .
The I believe we will win became popular after the USA-World Cup in Brazil 2014.

The We are in Penn State IMO. The student section brings energy they can do whatever they want as Chancellor Cantor killed the band doing the Hey Song.

I am way more concerned with PA guy over the students or traditions. He talks way too much and wants to make himself more of the game atmosphere that is 1. required of a PA 2. hear his own voice.

He needs to be told stop talking and just announce players who score. If I can notice you it means you are bad. Just like the Louisville PA guy is awful after every made 3 point shot. He is annoying.

I stand and clap in my living room till we make a basket
damn straight and in bars too.

my favorite is at away games or neutral sites.

it shows unity and a like mind.

i also enjoy hearing the 'down in fronts' and ignoring them without remorse.

why is this question asked every year anywho??

dont do it, stay seated.

be that jackass.

The I believe we will win became popular after the USA-World Cup in Brazil 2014.

The We are in Penn State IMO. The student section brings energy they can do whatever they want as Chancellor Cantor killed the band doing the Hey Song.

I am way more concerned with PA guy over the students or traditions. He talks way too much and wants to make himself more of the game atmosphere that is 1. required of a PA 2. hear his own voice.

He needs to be told stop talking and just announce players who score. If I can notice you it means you are bad. Just like the Louisville PA guy is awful after every made 3 point shot. He is annoying.

The 'I believe that we will win' chant started at Navy. There's debate over who, between Penn State and Marshall, started the 'We are' chant. Either way, neither chant is ours and we've stolen enough (the clapping and saying 'O' during the anthem).

edit: I still don't have any issues with the PA guy. To me, since I can't usually even hear him over the crowd, it's making a mountain out of a mole hill. Maybe he's lowder in the lower levels or something. Or maybe I'm too focussed on the game and getting drunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 'I believe that we will win' chant started at Navy. There's debate over who, between Penn State and Marshall, started the 'We are' chant. Either way, neither chant is ours and we've stolen enough (the clapping at saying 'O' during the anthem).

edit: I still don't have any issues with the PA guy. To me, since I can't usually even hear him over the crowd, it's making a mountain out of a mole hill. Maybe he's lowder in the lower levels or something. Or maybe I'm too focussed on the game and getting drunk.
I know it started at Navy we learned at that World Cup last year. It just became more popular after the USMNT/Uncle Sam's Army used it in Brazil. Then it was mainstream and copied a lot.

If Veley cut back on talking too much it would help. The guy bleeds Orange but loves hearing himself talk during games. JB gave him a death glare and pounded the table when in Feb. 2014 against Notre Dame he announced Cooney was 1 3 pt. shot away from the school record after he made a 3 because he rightfully realized Cooney would gun to tie the record which he didn't do but took shots he shouldn't have.

Veley needs to be put on a word diet. Just announce the player who scored. Stop announcing the score after EVERY made bucket and announcing 1/2 FTs by whomever, announcing stats after scores. He talks too much but he is loyal to SU I don't want him gone just talking less. At a FB game in 2007 he announced the holder on a FG attempt who wasn't typically the holder and it alerted the WVU coaches we doing something and our fake was stopped. Now I don't blame Veley 100% but he announcing it didn't help the freaking situation. He loves the sound of his voice. That gets annoying when you are a PA guy and not a Play-by-Play guy.

damn straight and in bars too.

my favorite is at away games or neutral sites.

it shows unity and a like mind.

i also enjoy hearing the 'down in fronts' and ignoring them without remorse.

why is this question asked every year anywho??

dont do it, stay seated.

be that jackass.
MSG. 1988. SU-Nova for the BET title. Tip. Orangeman40 and I are standing and clapping when this Nova fan seated behind me (who looked like he was 5'5" and 280 lbs and just crawled out of his parents' basement) takes offense because I am blocking his view. I ignore him and keep clapping (with about 75% of the crowd). I get pushed. I keep clapping. Finally, Mr. Blowhard steps over the seat and tries to stand in front of me, in my aisle. I hold my ground, keep clapping, and start a Let's Go Orange chant right in his ear. As loud as I can possibly shout. He did not smell good. No surprise there. When the Orangemen score, I cheer and sit down. Mr. Blowhard leaves and goes back to his seat. SU blows out Nova. Smelly fan leaves at halftime.

Good times. Anyone who wants this tradition gone is nuts.

The Louisville guy wouldn't be annoying if he was our guy I guarantee you that, with how the Yum Center gets rocking and such. At least he is exciting. If you're somehow dubbed 'Mr. Excitement' then actually be exciting. He's a problem.

MSG. 1988. SU-Nova for the BET title. Tip. Orangeman40 and I are standing and clapping when this Nova fan seated behind me (who looked like he was 5'5" and 280 lbs and just crawled out of his parents' basement) takes offense because I am blocking his view. I ignore him and keep clapping (with about 75% of the crowd). I get pushed. I keep clapping. Finally, Mr. Blowhard steps over the seat and tries to stand in front of me, in my aisle. I hold my ground, keep clapping, and start a Let's Go Orange chant right in his ear. As loud as I can possibly shout. He did not smell good. No surprise there. When the Orangemen score, I cheer and sit down. Mr. Blowhard leaves and goes back to his seat. SU blows out Nova. Smelly fan leaves at halftime.

Good times. Anyone who wants this tradition gone is nuts.

75% of the SU crowd was sitting in the 400's that day. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom