Clemson entrace | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson entrace

Now, do you really think we can create that kind of atmosphere at SU? That's why they can recruit the way they do. No comparison!

Yes.

Northern NFL teams have more traditional fan participation than SU. It's not *just* about the region, it's about the people.

SU fans don't really get college football.

Oh well.

Yes.

Northern NFL teams have more traditional fan participation than SU. It's not *just* about the region, it's about the people.

SU fans don't really get college football.

Oh well.
Damn straight!!! Says the fan base which created the 'D-Fence' chant and signage.

*entrance

Wow. That is what college football is all about. Amazing to be part of a conference that has teams that care this much about football.
'Gotta be honest...all i can think is that at some point one of those players is going to blow a knee out going down that stupid hill...my second thought is that watching college football games like that make me truly hate ESPN coverage.. its just like the 2 weeks leading up to their precious duke unc bball game that they shove down your throat every commercial of every show every day of the week. They make little things up to be bigger than the apocalypse. I just truly hate espn. It made me think of the Rutgers football game i cant remember who they played because they are an irrelevant program and noone cares but espn...but i remember their coverage and they made Rutgers stadium to be better than LSU at night..it was the last game for Leonard and Rice when their kicker had to kick twice to win the game at the end. Anyways... their grandstanding makes me vomit now.

This is what makes college football awesome.

It's a shame SU fans are totally oblivious to it.

I love how you claim SU fans are this and that. What the hell are you exactly? Fans don't make pre-game traditions.. a fan didnt start Ole Miss' parade or Clemsons walk down the Hill. The School quite obviously made these things happen. Unfortunately Syracuse has tried making things like this happen and new coaches burn those attempts when they are hired. The walk of champions had potential with the players rubbing the Ernie Davis statue before walking into the Dome with the band playing on the steps of Hendricks Chapel..if we had a few more statues made for that quad walk it would be really cool in my opinion.

'Gotta be honest...all i can think is that at some point one of those players is going to blow a knee out going down that stupid hill...my second thought is that watching college football games like that make me truly hate ESPN coverage.. its just like the 2 weeks leading up to their precious duke unc bball game that they shove down your throat every commercial of every show every day of the week. They make little things up to be bigger than the apocalypse. I just truly hate espn. It made me think of the Rutgers football game i cant remember who they played because they are an irrelevant program and noone cares but espn...but i remember their coverage and they made Rutgers stadium to be better than LSU at night..it was the last game for Leonard and Rice when their kicker had to kick twice to win the game at the end. Anyways... their grandstanding makes me vomit now.

Tend to agree, It's a bit much. I am not as angry as you are about it, but see your point and agree for the most part. It gets old.

Didn't we beat Clemson a while back in a bowl 41-0? Clemson had the same tradition back then. Trust me, the fanfare is not nearly the same when Wake Forest comes to town for a 12:00 noon game.
Actually it is. Clemson has the best atmosphere in the ACC. And also the best football fans. Very hospitable and genuinely kind. They have a passion for the game regardless of whom they play. It is packed every game. And to the poster who was concerned about an injury running down the hill. Hasn't ever been a problem so far. If they can't run down a bunny slope without getting injured how are they gonna take direct hits from the oppostion? GO HEELS!! Glad to have you in the ACC!

I wish we could do that. Maybe then we'd get to see our offense running downhill HEY OH

Can't wait to experience this next year when Cuse heads to Death Valley

I love how you claim SU fans are this and that. What the hell are you exactly? Fans don't make pre-game traditions.. a fan didnt start Ole Miss' parade or Clemsons walk down the Hill. The School quite obviously made these things happen. Unfortunately Syracuse has tried making things like this happen and new coaches burn those attempts when they are hired. The walk of champions had potential with the players rubbing the Ernie Davis statue before walking into the Dome with the band playing on the steps of Hendricks Chapel..if we had a few more statues made for that quad walk it would be really cool in my opinion.

Of course they do. Fans make ALL traditions. It's about showing up and participating.

That walk that SU did... how many fans turned out for that? Not many.

How many fans go watch the SU band play on the Quad before the game? Not many.

How many fans know the fight song and sing along during the 100 times it is played during games? Not many.

How many fans chant anything other than "Let's Go Orange" during games? Not many.

At MetLife on Saturday the Penn State fans there did a half-dozen different chants at various points. SU fans did one, lamely. Did the Penn State administration cue those 40K people up to do that stuff? No, the fans did it because they wanted to and its tradition.

When I was at the Final 4 in Atlanta the Michigan, Louisville and Wichita State fans did a slew more cheers than SU.

Our fanbase is simply not interested in that stuff for whatever reason. Which is their perogative. But it's not because we're "northern" or whatever. And its not on the administration to force it. They've tried and the fans don't respond.

Agree to disagree. Of course the crowd CHANTS are started by fans. I was referring to traditions that happen like Clemson's walk down the hill, FSU mascott throwing the spear into the field, OLE Miss parade etc. And i disagree...we had plenty of people at the walk of champions. There was typically about 5k or more people standing watching that while the team went through the crowd.

Agree to disagree. Of course the crowd CHANTS are started by fans. I was referring to traditions that happen like Clemson's walk down the hill, FSU mascott throwing the spear into the field, OLE Miss parade etc. And i disagree...we had plenty of people at the walk of champions. There was typically about 5k or more people standing watching that while the team went through the crowd.

That's fine. I strongly contest the notion that there were 5K people at that walk. Maybe there were 5K people milling around outside the Dome, but I'd suggest that's different.

And my point about cheers and chants is that those are indicative of a larger fan culture. If we can't get SU fans to do more than the occasional "Let's Go Orange" during a game, how on Earth will they do anything else?

Even for hoops, where we have a huge, well-traveled fan base, no one does the chants for the opposing team's lineup intros that we've done since the days of Manley. My guess is someone will quickly say "yeah, but those are lame!". And that will make my point perfectly.

I went to that walk for the UVa game, it was so sparse Robinson was able to address people by name as the team went through.

That's fine. I strongly contest the notion that there were 5K people at that walk. Maybe there were 5K people milling around outside the Dome, but I'd suggest that's different.

And my point about cheers and chants is that those are indicative of a larger fan culture. If we can't get SU fans to do more than the occasional "Let's Go Orange" during a game, how on Earth will they do anything else?

Even for hoops, where we have a huge, well-traveled fan base, no one does the chants for the opposing team's lineup intros that we've done since the days of Manley. My guess is someone will quickly say "yeah, but those are lame!". And that will make my point perfectly.

I def still do the chants during lineups..i thought everyone did. The cheerleaders still run with the signs as well. I see your point with the crown participation.

Clearly you guys are unaware of the facts. The fan or fan base create the traditions.

In a previous life, I was the guy that decided that Jim brown should wear 44, an regardless if how he performed, it would become a TRADITION at Syracuse.

The Clemson entrance was actually inspired and designed by Liza Minelli.

This post is a joke an is meant as sarcasm. Myself and ms Minelli started neither of those traditions.

Of course they do. Fans make ALL traditions. It's about showing up and participating.

That walk that SU did... how many fans turned out for that? Not many.

How many fans go watch the SU band play on the Quad before the game? Not many.

How many fans know the fight song and sing along during the 100 times it is played during games? Not many.

How many fans chant anything other than "Let's Go Orange" during games? Not many.

At MetLife on Saturday the Penn State fans there did a half-dozen different chants at various points. SU fans did one, lamely. Did the Penn State administration cue those 40K people up to do that stuff? No, the fans did it because they wanted to and its tradition.

When I was at the Final 4 in Atlanta the Michigan, Louisville and Wichita State fans did a slew more cheers than SU.

Our fanbase is simply not interested in that stuff for whatever reason. Which is their perogative. But it's not because we're "northern" or whatever. And its not on the administration to force it. They've tried and the fans don't respond.
I was at the Final 4 and I think that was more in part to the fact we played like a D-2 team for most of the game until we almost came back at the end. I dont think anyone can find too much to complain about with our basketball fan support. We have huge crowds and take over arenas up and down the eastern seaboard. That's pretty impressive.

Football on the other hand. Win and you will start seeing that. Maybe not to the level of southern schools but it will get better and fast. Anemic offense and a Week One loss doesnt help very much, however if they rebound and are 3-1 against Clemson, the Dome will be a special place to be.

I def still do the chants during lineups..i thought everyone did. The cheerleaders still run with the signs as well. I see your point with the crown participation.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, seriously, I just made my peace with how SU fans are long ago.

Here's a story that makes my point... when I was an undergrad SU hoops played an NCAA tourney game in Austin vs. Arkansas. People may remember said game as "the one where Lawrence Moten called a time out we didn't have".

The crowd that day was mostly Texas fans, and man oh man, did they HATE Arkansas. I was there as a member of the Sour Sitrus Society and I like to say that the best Syracuse crowd I ever played for was the Texas fans hating Arkansas that game. A bunch of them came down to me to ask what the words of the SU fight song were to sing it. They chanted "Let's Go Orange" with reckless abandon. They asked me what the SU hand sign was (ala "Hook 'Em Horns") so they could do it. Of course, I had to tell them there was none.

It was just sooooooo different than any SU crowd I've ever seen, not because they're from the south, but because they cared and they culturally were into stuff like songs and cheers. SU fans aren't.

I was at the Final 4 and I think that was more in part to the fact we played like a D-2 team for most of the game until we almost came back at the end. I dont think anyone can find too much to complain about with our basketball fan support. We have huge crowds and take over arenas up and down the eastern seaboard. That's pretty impressive.

Football on the other hand. Win and you will start seeing that. Maybe not to the level of southern schools but it will get better and fast. Anemic offense and a Week One loss doesnt help very much, however if they rebound and are 3-1 against Clemson, the Dome will be a special place to be.

Not talking about travel, talking about in-game participation.

Yes, the Dome gets loud when things are going well. Just like the arena that Utah Jazz play in. ;)

Someone mentioned the dangers of a person getting injured coming down the hill. It has happened. In the video above, you may notice one of the first players (17) seemingly leap high into the air on his way down the hill. That is actually a flat space about half-way down the hill that some players will launch themselves from.

In 2003, Gene Pate (long snapper) broke his fibula and tibia while leaping off of that flat space on his way down the hill.

I have been to Clemson many times, and it's tremendous. Although I'm never rooting for Clemson, I love it.

To me, as much as the ACC has played also-ran as far as football goes, it has in my mind the top three most electrifying pre-games rituals in college football. Chief Osceola planting the spear of course, Clemson running down the hill, and Virginia Tech entering to Enter Sandman.

Seeing Lane Stadium go bonkers jumping up and down when they hit the beginning of that song gives me chills.

As for traditions, obviously we think of them as long standing things by definition. But it doesn't have to be. Chief Osceola debuted in 1978 and FSU fans have only been doing the warchant and chop since the 1980s. Obviously Enter Sandman and Wisconsin's "Jump Around" are newish.

It's not like Syracuse will never have something like that just because they don't right now. The circumstances just have to be right.

I have been to Clemson many times, and it's tremendous. Although I'm never rooting for Clemson, I love it.

To me, as much as the ACC has played also-ran as far as football goes, it has in my mind the top three most electrifying pre-games rituals in college football. Chief Osceola planting the spear of course, Clemson running down the hill, and Virginia Tech entering to Enter Sandman.

Seeing Lane Stadium go bonkers jumping up and down when they hit the beginning of that song gives me chills.

As for traditions, obviously we think of them as long standing things by definition. But it doesn't have to be. Chief Osceola debuted in 1978 and FSU fans have only been doing the warchant and chop since the 1980s. Obviously Enter Sandman and Wisconsin's "Jump Around" are newish.

It's not like Syracuse will never have something like that just because they don't right now. The circumstances just have to be right.

Bet the under.

:bang:

I went to that walk for the UVa game, it was so sparse Robinson was able to address people by name as the team went through.

So was the entire Dome at least after a few games anyway. I assume your talking about UVA in 05. If not then it makes even more sense although I don't remember UVA coming back after that, then again I blocked out alot of Robinson games. However, if you went in 05 then the Walk was only 2 or 3 games old correct? Can't expect fans to latch on to a manufactured tradition that quickly. If they were still doing it 10 years later and the team was ranked and in the top 25 I would expect alot of fans to get in line.

Bet the under.

:bang:

Baby steps. I do notice that more people wear orange to SU events now.

SU's best bet is being the loud, hot, stadium that no team wants to play in. We had it once, we can have it again.

Outside of that, yeah, it's LGO or bust.

I'm sure I've told this story a million times, but what the hell I've got time. Semi-related. After the ND game in 2003, we eventually made our way to Armory Square. Irish singer at Kitty Hoynes plays a slow version of the ND fight song. A lot of ND fans still hanging around (after being thrashed on the football field), and they were enjoying it. Syracuse fans start getting on the singer about playing the SU fight song. He says he doesn't know it but if anyone wanted to come up and sing it, the mic was theirs. Everyone looks around confused. So me, clearly being drunk enough, step up to the mic. I start singing the song, after about 5 seconds in, everyone starts clapping to it. Then I get big cheers at the end.

All I remember thinking was, no one knew our fight song, but could somewhat recognize it once given the context. And to me, that summed up SU fans and the college tradition/fight song thing. It's just not for them. Which is fine I guess. Just always feels weird when you play one of these other schools who has thousands of fans that know every tradition and song related to their program.

Baby steps. I do notice that more people wear orange to SU events now.

SU's best bet is being the loud, hot, stadium that no team wants to play in. We had it once, we can have it again.

Outside of that, yeah, it's LGO or bust.

I'm sure I've told this story a million times, but what the hell I've got time. Semi-related. After the ND game in 2003, we eventually made our way to Armory Square. Irish singer at Kitty Hoynes plays a slow version of the ND fight song. A lot of ND fans still hanging around (after being thrashed on the football field), and they were enjoying it. Syracuse fans start getting on the singer about playing the SU fight song. He says he doesn't know it but if anyone wanted to come up and sing it, the mic was theirs. Everyone looks around confused. So me, clearly being drunk enough, step up to the mic. I start singing the song, after about 5 seconds in, everyone starts clapping to it. Then I get big cheers at the end.

All I remember thinking was, no one knew our fight song, but could somewhat recognize it once given the context. And to me, that summed up SU fans and the college tradition/fight song thing. It's just not for them. Which is fine I guess. Just always feels weird when you play one of these other schools who has thousands of fans that know every tradition and song related to their program.

This whole Clemson entrance thing got my looking on Youtube for other good entrances. Texas fans...I'm impressed. I'm sure many of you already know but for those who don't...They have an absolutely enormous state flag that covers 1/3 of the field. As everyone on the field is holding it, the Texas fans sing the fight song and you can tell from the videos, more than 80% know it word for word. Then they do a few chants before they start the video boards and the team runs out. All I could think of was in that same amount of time before the game, all SU fans do is wait in line for beer. It looked like Texas had at least 85% of butts in the seats for the team runout. SU is lucky to have 50% of those in attendance even in their seats for kickoff. Same watching the Clemson video, VT video, etc. Made me sad that our fans aren't like that. It is no wonder we can't recruit against those schools, you want to run out to fireworks and full stadiums or a bunch of silver bleachers.....I'm a little ashamed of our lack of tradition in this regard.